8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How big is your picture?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How big is your picture?
Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2011 07:07 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be interesting to know how big your pictures from 8MM is at home.
So I start with my dimensions. (well, not mine, but.. oh, you know)

The height of the picture is 120 centimetres, about 3,94 feet.
The width, in academy ratio, is 173 centimetres, about 5,68 feet.
The width, in CinemaScope, is 346 centimetres, about 11,35 feet. (That is wall to wall)

And this is projected onto a real professional cinema screen, the first scope screen from 1955 installed at the cinema I used to work at years later when it had been replaced. I beleive they put in a new screen when they installed the xenon lights in the machines.
There is only a small portion of the screen I actually uses, the bulk lies on the floor. (Well it's some 10 meters+ wide)
But it's all there for use if I ever would get a more spatial abode in the future.

So, how big are yours? (pictures/screens!! ... You really DO have dirty minds!) [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 19, 2011 10:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is 52" by 92"

So:

52" by 69" (132 by 175 cm) in Academy format
52" by 92" (132 by 234 cm)in 16:9
35" by 92" (89 by 234 cm)in 'Scope

Going to a bigger screen is one of the best things I ever did to improve how my films look up there. There is a lot of detail in those little frames you miss if you project small.

There is this myth that you can't project Super-8 bigger than 3 feet diagonal. I really enjoy proving this wrong!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2011 12:50 AM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I run flat, I have an 8' x 7' and the zoom helps me fill the screen.

When I run Scope, I use a 12'9" x 4'9". Zoom and masking assists in a sharp image.

GS1200.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2011 12:56 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only have a screen suitable for flat, and don't have a wall where permanent installation is possible, so it's simply a 52" x 70" pull-down DaLite. When the opportunity is right, I'll try to go larger.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 20, 2011 12:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forget what the exact dimensions are, but I got two wood dowels, a lot of thumbtacks, a highly reflective white satin sheet, (your standard bed sheet), thumbtacked the top and bottom edges of it ...

I then took two hooks and put them in the top dowel, so it hangs quite pleasantly, and I just roll it up or down for use.

... so, whatever those dimensions are, thatsa my super 8 viewing!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2011 08:51 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My screen is a homemade pinewood frame with a Da-Lite fabric cut and mounted on it.
The screen is 9ft by 5-3/4ft (108-by-69 inches) so I get 7.5 or so width with flat prints and 9ft with scope.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 22, 2011 01:26 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, a "mine is bigger than yours" thread!!
[Razz]

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2011 08:46 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Never mind the quality - feel the width" [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 22, 2011 12:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOOOH!

Naughty Big Bro ... naughty!

Though I have a big screen, it is no doubt less reflective than an actual "beaded" screen.

Yeah ... I can hear it now ...

"Just bead it, bead it, don't make me repeat it ..."

(that song always seemed to have a double meaning to it. Kind of like Billy Squires, "The Stroke"!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC