8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Nice ebay lot. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Nice ebay lot.
Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 03:17 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, when it comes to spending our hard earned I think we're all paranoid (unless your a banker, solicitor, MP, etc.). I smell a rat with this, has he set up false accounts and is bidding for his own films to bump up the price ?. My gut feeling is telling me he's not as dumb as he makes out on ebay. Del.

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 29, 2011 03:38 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I can see anything terribly wrong with this listing. Even if he did buy the first lot and is now reselling them, he's not doing anything wrong.
Incidentally, the first lot only had part of SOUND OF MUSIC whereas the second lot has the full feature.
Or, am I missing the point?

I did shoot him a question about his location though. No reply yet.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 04:24 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, in the "first" sale - "Sound of Music" is listed as 2 x 1200ft plus 1 x 600ft, which would make it the feature print.

Both sales started on the same day, with the sale, including the GS1200, ending early, and being re-listed as separate items, but still showing, and mentioning the projector, which is not included in either of his sales.

It just seems very coincidental, and very misleading the way I personally read it. The film titles are "too similar" for comfort in my opinion. [Roll Eyes]

"Sound of Music, King and I, Railway Children, The Jungle Book,
Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians and several digests from Walt Disney Home Movies eg. Robin Hood, Mary Poppin & Jolly Holiday, The Rescuers, Aristocats, Lady and the Tramp, Peter Pan, Cinderella, Sword in the Stone, Winnie the Pooh"

all being mentioned in both "sales"

Also there is the "Ebay name change" - substituting "i" with "l". The seller does not spell his "shop" name using "l" in the photograph he provided on the sale to show he was "genuine". [Roll Eyes]

I hope that it is all "genuine" because someone will get a "bargain". It won't be me because I don't feel "comfortable" with the sale, but again, I am the most "optimistical pessimist" on the planet. [Smile]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 29, 2011 04:41 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I see what you mean now, Keith.
Well, you may be right.
Interesting.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 04:47 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically Michael, I hope I am "wrong" because if it is "genuine" then good luck to both bidders and seller. [Wink]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 29, 2011 04:59 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said elsewhere, the titles don't interest me but the projector might at the right price.
I wonder why he/she hasn't relisted it.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 05:18 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does seem very strange when it featured so prominently in his "original" sale offer. I would have thought that the projector would have been a "surefire" sell (as long as it was not "silly" money).

GS1200's tend to sell the first time they are posted on EBay. [Smile]

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 11:24 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent the seller a message yesterday about cancelling and relisting, and just got this kind reply:

"I am really sorry. I also tried to change the listing but I thing there is a new Ebay policy not allowing a zero feedback member to sell item overseas."

That would figure.

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 01:32 PM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's savvy alright,I've just checked the bidding history,and he's managed to cancel two bidders????

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 03:07 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He has cancelled two bidders because "they have 'ZERO' feedback!"

A bit hypocritcal when he has 'ZERO' feedback himself? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 29, 2011 03:27 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a reply I've received from him that I don't think will help his reputation:

"I am from BVI (British Virgin Island). I came to London just to drop my films and pick up some new ones. Once the transaction is done I need to return home. I don't know if your date is suitable with my flight schedule."

It's difficult enough to make sense of that in relation to the films, let alone the projector!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 04:11 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The plot thickens, I say good luck to anyone bidding on this, I think they'll need it, the more I read the more I'm glad I stayed away from it, Del.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 04:27 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BVI -- a nice, cool, dry place for archival film storage. [Eek!]

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 04:34 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So he's come all the way from the British Virgin Islands with feature films and a GS1200 projector, to London, to sell them on Ebay and collect 16mm films and equipment and then return home. He also is not bothered about how much he gets as long as he sells them -
quote:
"Your gain is my pain"
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

It may be the other way around, I fear?

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 29, 2011 04:51 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar response to Adrian, except for the part about the flight.
When I asked if he would be relisting the GS he said he could not re-list it as he was buying more 8mm before he leaves London. He has decided not to switch to 16mm because of the weight.

Something is pretty weird about the whole thing. Well, Prof Ashfield, my hat is off to you.
[Smile]

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 05:07 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael - Deranns were even popular in the Bristish Virgin Islands. [Big Grin]

There is another scenario?

It could all be genuine and we have finally found the most "eccentric film collector in the world".

In view of the number of bids involved I just hope the winner is, at least, a visitor, or better still, a member of the forums and has been "watching the concerns" posted upon them.

I also hope if that is true, the winner will ensure that the films do exist and can be checked prior to payment of any monies, even if the sellers flight is on "final call for boarding". [Wink]

--------------------

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 05:33 PM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!!

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 06:07 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both lots went to the same buyer for a total of £1157.00.

Let's hope that all is well????

Believe me, it would be really nice to have my sceptism proved wrong....

I wonder if we will ever find out????

--------------------

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2011 03:29 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a look this morning and he's change his account details, all the feedback he receives now will be made private. Not bad for a novice, even I didn't know how to do that and I've been on ebay for years. There is no way I would part with any hard earned before seeing the films and checking them out, Del.

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2011 05:28 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if the buyer has paid with paypal shorly that should
be okay and if he is collecting films and paying with
cash he will see the films he has bought [Confused]

--------------------
t.smith

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2011 05:46 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]
quote:
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy".

--------------------

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2011 06:24 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

A fellow who is always declaring he's no fool usually has his suspicions

--------------------

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2011 09:15 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone see the screen shots of one of those films being sold showing very bad scratching. That alone is enough to say nothing but trouble! keep well alone!!!

Leon Thomas Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2011 01:06 PM      Profile for Leon Thomas Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am sure glad did not bid on his auction, well I nearly did!! I sort of count myself lucky now.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2011 10:27 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, just wondered if anyone saw the screen shots of the other films in this auction when it first started on photobucket?.There was plenty of films not in either of the two auctions,ie at least a dozen L&H films all blackhawk, superman 3 reeler in the warner bro box's,to name but a few.I wish now that i'd done a screen capture to show you.I'm pretty sure none of the films i've mentioned here were in that auction,so what happened to them ?.I agree with the overall opinion her that something just wasn't right about it all, i had that gut feeling not to bid,tempting tho it was.Does any one know the winner?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC