8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » More STARWARS Super 8 lore/trivia ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More STARWARS Super 8 lore/trivia ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 29, 2011 10:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As one of our fellow collectors was telling us the info on the leader of his "Empire part 1" print (which was struck in December of 1982) ...

That induced me to look at the leader to the German "Empire Part 1" that I have, near perfect color but just the slightest off.

I discovered that that specific print was struck in December of 1979. Now, if I'm not mnistaken, Empire came out in 1980, so, like the great story of the 200ft version of STAR WARS coming out in the UK before the feature was released ithe UK, so "Empire" was being released or at least, prepared for release before the feature hit the theaters.

That's not too far-fetched, as from what I understand, the editors used an early 70MM print, (which is why some of the dialogue and sound effects are a little different from what were acustomed too), which must have been an early release or preview print.

Comments gentleman?

Oh, by the way, the color is suprisingly good for a 79 Kodak SP print.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2011 02:41 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had the first extract from 'Empire' long before its cinema release. As you can imagine, after that fabulous 400ft reel the whole film was something of a disappointment. However, after watching the blu-ray of 'Attack of the Clowns' last night it makes you realize how good those original sequels were. 'Phantom Menace' aside, the newer Star Wars films are dreadful.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2011 10:23 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Empire blew me away when I first saw it.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 30, 2011 01:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would disagree slightly, John.

I do agree that the last three (which of course, are the first three) are certainly not in the same league as the trilogy we all know and love ...

However, I felt that the last of the new Trilogy "Revenge of the SITH" was actually pretty well put together and had good drama to it.

I think the main problem with the new sequels not seeming as well as the original ones is partly nolstalgia. I agree that they are not as good, but part of our nolstalgia (I think) stems from our love of the cast, who, went on to superstardom (well, harrison Ford did) and that adds to the fun.

But even that is kind of ironic as, when STAR WARS first came out, except for Alec Guiness, it was a no name cast for the most part. Even Harrison Ford was only a bit part player at the time.

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2011 03:30 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter Cushing was a very big name over here Osi. Viewing the blu-ray of 'Clowns' the other night really brought it home how awful modern visual effects are. That is a major reason why those films are so bad by comparison but the story in that particular episode is very hard to follow too. Add in the acting which I don't think anyone would say is particularly good (to say the least!) and all together we have a bit of a disappointing Star Wars film on our hands. The action is too fast as well which means I just tend to switch off a lot of the time - aimed at the satisfying those into computer games I think so perhaps this is the reason computer effects now look so unrealistic but people just accept them.

I did see 'Revenge of the Sith' on its original release and thought it far better that 'Clones' but I remember thinking the special effects were still pretty dreadful. I'm trying to work up the enthusiasm to run the blu-ray of that one but after enduring the previous title it's going to take a bit of an effort.

Phantom Menace by comparison I thought was the second best Star Wars film. However, I put a few minutes of the blu-ray of this on and again the effects looked awful. Interestingly I have a 35mm print of this title and the effects - though no way as good as the original films - actually look exceptionally good for the most part.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2011 04:49 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screenshots a plenty here for those who get their kicks from these comparisons...

http://www.savestarwars.com/starwarsonfilm.html

Enjoy [Big Grin]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 01, 2011 01:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! That was nice to see! The owner of the website did say he was going to revise that page with the info he recieved from myself, Adrian and others, but this was the first chance to see the revamped page. The gentleman did a good job.

Great screenshots as well!

My gosh, I'm finding myself all over the web, (thank God, not in a bad way .... yet!) [Smile]

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2011 04:09 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you need any help getting all the corrections made Osi just let me know as he's got a heck of a lot wrong on that web site - terrible shame as it's a good idea and looks good.

Just watched 'Revenge of the Sith'. What tosh. I'm going to have to watch the original Star Wars now to remind myself why I ever liked it!

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2011 10:36 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I may weigh in on this too,

The Empire Strikes Back was the best sequel of the three original films.

The second three sequels, - prequels, were very good. I did not care very much on
how Yoda was digitized. I did like Christopher Lee and Ewan McGregor was good at a younger Obi Wan.

My favorite scene in the Attack of the Clones is when the fight continues in the foundry with all of the molten metal pouring out of the huge crucible. To think that this was all choreographed in green screen mode is amazing.

The Sith movie comes full circle. But was it truly needed?
I suppose it solves the mystery and that's fine too.

The prequels is as having a reunion with old friends.

As with all of the films, it's the small touches that make the ride worthwhile.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2011 01:47 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Empire Strikes Back is the best film of the series. The worst? Attack of the Clones. If they had edited Clones and Sith down to one film it might have worked. But, just like Matrix 2 & 3, I thought it was never going to end.

On another Star Wars note, I'm not sure if anyone has seen this and I know it's ending soon but...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Super-8-Film-/220861712754?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336c624972

B&W. Silent. REALLY?

Is it made out of gold?!

P.S. "Phantom Menace" is OK but "The Phantom Edit" is much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVQdq18RHiA

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2011 04:02 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the edited version of Phantom Menace (don't have the time really even though I'd like to) but I remembered reading about the people that did it not liking Jar Jar Binks so almost removed him from the film. I think he's a fabulous creation and although he's just a cartoon is very good fun. Something the subsequent two films lack. I realize they tried to replace Jar Jar's comedy with C3PO's but it just wasn't the same.

Chris, I'm with you - the last two films just went on and on. Probably the worst thing about it all is it is just not believable that the lovable little boy from Tatooine ever becomes Darth Vader. And how it transpires in the last film is so bad it loses any credibility. When I first saw these two films it spoiled the original film for me so I want to view the original again to convince myself these prequels really have nothing to do with it.

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2011 06:47 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, regarding the use of a 70mm print for the Ken releases, could you elaborate? I've always tried to determine what kind of master material Ken used for these releases and have never found a concrete answer.

I'd imagined they used an existing pan and scan 16mm, but, as you point out, these releases were pre-theatrical, so probably ahead of any 16mm versions.

What do you know of using a 70mm master? It's intiguing...tell me all [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC