8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » For those who want to re-record your digest to English or repair it (Thx Chris Fries) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: For those who want to re-record your digest to English or repair it (Thx Chris Fries)
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 10, 2011 01:19 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Chris Fries our newly member in this forum who has uploaded so many digests to youtube in full (digest) version. So everyone has a problem with the sound of his/her digests or have one of digest in non-English version, can now re-record that without a problem or no need to make their own edit in the computer (which this is quite hassle)

Chris has made excellence recordings from his 8mm digests where the sound is taken very clear without any projector's noise is heard.

Here the list of 47 titles he has uploaded so far:

[Title in alphabetical order/format/year/version/duration]

• 1. A Night To Remember Super 8mm - 1958 Part One 8:57
    2. A Night To Remember Super 8mm - 1958 Part Two 8:25
    3. Airport 1970 Super 8mm - Part 1 3:34
    4. Airport 1970 Super 8mm - Part 2 13:15
    5. Alien Super 8mm – 1979 14:57
    6. America On Parade - Disneyland 1976 Super 8mm Film 7:22
    7. An Evening At The Magic Kingdom - Walt Disney World Super 8mm Film 7:47
    8. Animal House Super 8mm Long Version – 1978 31:05
    9. Ben-Hur Super 8mm – 1959 17:53
    10. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid Super 8mm – 1969 14:11
    11. Cat Ballou Super 8mm – 1965 15:00
    12. Cedar Point - 1984 Super 8mm Sound Home Movie 9:04
    13. Cedar Point - 1985 Super 8mm Sound Home Movie 6:25
    14. Cedar Point - 1986 Super 8mm Sound Home Movie 2:17
    15. Cedar Point - 1987 Home Video 6:29
    16. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind Super 8mm – 1977 17:23
    17. Coma Super 8mm - 1978 Part One 6:52
    18. Coma Super 8mm - 1978 Part Two 10:46
    19. How The West Was Won Super 8mm – 1962 19:24
    20. Jaws Super 8mm – 1975 7:01
    21. Jaws Super 8mm Long Version – 1975 30:48
    22. Logan's Run Super 8mm – 1976 14:57
    23. Meteor Super 8mm – 1979 15:33
    24. Meteor Super 8mm Long Version – 1979 43:35
    25. Mutiny On The Bounty Super 8mm – 1962 17:18
    26. Psycho Super 8mm – 1960 16:32
    27. Quo Vadis Super 8mm – 1951 17:23
    28. Raiders Of The Lost Ark Super 8mm – 1981 16:08
    29. Silver Streak Super 8mm – 1976 14:37
    30. Star Wars Super 8mm - 1977 Vol. 1 20:10
    31. Star Wars Super 8mm - 1977 Vol. 2 16:31
    32. Star Wars Super 8mm Digests – Complete 35:03
    33. Superman The Movie Super 8mm – 1978 14:57
    34. The Birds Super 8mm - 1963
    35. The Deep Super 8mm – 1977 15:06
    36. The Empire Strikes Back Super 8mm - 1980 Vol. 1 16:35
    37. The Empire Strikes Back Super 8mm - 1980 Vol. 2 16:19
    38. The French Connection Super 8mm – 1971 14:34
    39. The Haunted Mansion - Walt Disney World Super 8mm Film 2:58
    40. The Haunted Mansion At Walt Disney World 2000 - New Audio Dub 11:32
    41. The Magic Kingdom At Walt Disney World Super 8mm Film 7:04
    42. The Omen Super 8mm – 1976 12:41
    43. The Poseidon Adventure Super 8mm – 1972 14:32
    44. The Sting Super 8mm – 1973 16:48
    45. The Towering Inferno Super 8mm – 1974 15:00
    46. The Towering Inferno Super 8mm Long Version – 1974 46:56
    47. Titanic Super 8mm – 1953 14:26
Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/GhostHost1969#g/u//
This something that I have been dreaming for quite long that this forum has a database for all digests so everyone can get benefit of them, either for repairing or re-dub.
I wish Chris will continue to upload more digests he has.
At the same time, I also encourage other members to post your material you have, either mono or stereo version, at youtube, especially youtube now has almost no limit on duration uploaded.
cheers

[ October 10, 2011, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2011 02:07 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are very welcome. I just wanted to share these digests with the rest of the world. If they help anyone in any way, that's great. I must let you know that if you need them for sound, there are a few are not the complete digest. Youtube newbies only have a 15 min. time limit on video uploads. Instead of breaking them all up into two videos, I trimmed here and there. I've uploaded enough now so there is no limit. But until I re-upload them, the following titles are not complete.

Logan's Run
Alien
The Towering Inferno - short version
Superman The Movie

Also, if is is sound you need, please keep in mind that "Airport" is not a direct recording and sound from "The Deep" is not the greatest.

Stay tuned. I will have more titles up soon.

Enjoy!

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2011 06:25 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also want to thank you, Chris! It's a beautiful thing you've done. Now, when I'm away from home I can sign in to YouTube and enjoy a quick fix of some great old digests. What a wonderful way for people, who no longer have the equipment or films they used to collect years ago, to enjoy them all over again. I'd love to see some of the KEN FILMS 9-minute digests, too. They're are a few scattered about on the Y/T site, but not much to choose from.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 10, 2011 06:33 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

What a great service. Are you taking requests? I need Earthquake [Smile]

PatD [Wink]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 10, 2011 06:42 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I am also thinking the way to grow the 8mm collection on the net, is everyone contributing their collection and especially for those who request one digest must contribute to upload one digest.

So Pat, can you also upload one digest ... [Wink]

I can upload the full version 2 x 400' of 1941 but I am not sure if my membership is capable to upload 45 minutes.

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2011 08:03 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat,

I do have "Earthquake" and I will be posting it soon. I will also be re-posting (except Airport) the titles I listed earlier.

Brad,

I'm sorry but I only have one 200' digest (sold everything else). The 7 min. "Island at the Top of the World". Not planning to post that any time soon.

Winbert,

If you can't post all of "1941", I will as soon as I get it.

Everyone,

At the moment, I have about 10 more titles I will be posting over the next few weeks. Not sure if I can post them all. I haven't uploaded any R-rated titles so I don't know if Youtube will object. These titles are: "The Exorcist", "Carrie - Part 1" and the 3x400 "Dressed to Kill". I also have some musicals but the last time I tried to post one (FAME) it was blocked by Warner Brothers. So, I will have to test those titles one at a time. Too many blocks and they will ban you from Youtube. I Don't want that to happen. I do, however, want to share more. I, like Winbert, think it would be great if more people put these digests online. I know there's a few from my childhood I'd like to see again.

Thanks,

Chris

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 03:43 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't recommend making any of these videos publicly available on YouTube owing to the obvious copyright infringements. However, if you make them so only those with the links can get to them I doubt you'd ever get caught. Having said that it is unlikely the studios are going to be too bothered as it's obvious you're not doing it for financial rewards... but I wouldn't take the risk.

What I think you should do is post the direct links to each video on here and then only those enthusiasts with a relevant interest will ever find them. That should solve any possible legal problem in the future.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 11, 2011 04:00 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh... Another Haunted Mansion fan. My 50footer of WDW'w HM was silent but prestriped, so I rebuilt an entire soundtrack as well.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 05:59 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

As far as copyright infringement goes, I guess it depends how close the studios are watching or how much they care. There are those who put up an entire movie no problem and others who who get blocked for posting the exact same thing. Apart from "Fame", the only other thing I got totally blocked for was a video re-creation of "The Poseidon Adventure" digest. The digest itself didn't even get a "Matched third party content" warning. I have several of those (all regarding music rights) and am sill able to upload S8 digests. So, who knows? I will continue to do it unless I get blocked for something elese again.

Jean-Marc,

Yes, I love the Mansion. I also have the Disneyland 50' but have not made a soundtrack for it yet. When I do, I'll post it.

Everyone,

I have started a new thread about YouTube postings. I'll be linking my videos there. Also, I have re-posted the incomplete digests listed above in their entirety.

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 11, 2011 06:20 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

Can I upload to your youtube page?

Pat

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 06:51 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat,

I think there used to be a way to do a group channel but as far as I know, I am the only one who can upload videos to my channel. If you start your own channel and post videos there, I can link them as favorites on my YouTube page. You can also share them on the new thread I started about digests on the Tube.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 11, 2011 11:33 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, as far as I knew that copyrights is not forever. There is limitation for around 20-25 years. It can be extended if the owner pay it otherwise it will become public domain.

This is what happen to some Popeyes and many American toons that has now become public domain, so that is why any companies can release them for $1 DVD.

While the full features may still have copyrights extended, I don't think it happen to the digests. It is similar to clips, teaser or trailers that studio never bothered with them.

For one or two cases studio may extended all materials related to the title, which happen to the case of "Fame" above (I think because this film is till remade).

Beside, youtube has special system that can monitor and warn the uploader if the material is copyrighted or not. As long as there is no warning from youtube, we are practically safe.

My 2 cents,

--------------------
Winbert

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 01:15 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fifty years on moving pictures Winbert. It may vary in other countries.

Chris, YouTube don't care about copyright infringements (even though they are making noises about the subject now) so if you do suddenly get caught it's not going to be by them. I wouldn't risk it so as I suggested at least change them from 'public' to only those with the link being able to access them and that way you're almost certain to get away with it. You don't want to risk a criminal record for being a video pirate however unlikely it may seem. Or better still, make a list of the soundtracks you have available on here and then people can contact you for a copy (which is what I've done in the past, but don't tell anybody!!!).

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 05:39 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a new digest. "The Wizard of Oz".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q_-BQlCdws

This was a real test to see if anyone really cared about something so known and popular. All I got was a "Matched third party content." for music.

John,

If you really think I'm playing with fire, do you know of another video sharing site that doesn't care about copyrighted material? Otherwise, I suppose if I really get worried, I can make all the digests private. Still not sure if it will make a difference, though. I had originally called all of these "Super 8 Digest #--" with no other description and I still got music usage warnings. So, who knows?

As far as whats up next, I think I'll try another musical. Anyone looking for a specific title?

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2011 04:21 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt you'll get caught Chris and even if you do it's unlikely the studios will care, but I wouldn't do it. If they do decide to investigate and find out you own your own home or something like that then you're running the risk of losing it.

Making them accessible only if you have the link would mean no one but viewers of this forum are ever likely to see them and minimizes the risk. Then again, there are a few second hand dealers left who may be adversely affected by making the package movies they are trying to sell free to view on the web. Or would it be good advertising for them? Interesting question I think.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 12, 2011 05:36 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chris.
It has been interesting to have a peep at a few of your cine films and I am sure they will bring back memories to collectors who may have left the hobby when viewed. Rather than look at the possible negative side of things I would rather hope that seeing them could well revitalise interest for some wanting to rekindle a hobby from past years? I would not however underestimate copyright law or indeed fly in the face of it as uninterested as ex super 8 distributors may well be in the format or abridged content. When showing clips I always feel it’s a good idea to show a cine projector in the shot and list under the ‘technical’ content items, not least as it shows the glory of a cine projector in operation thus promoting the use of them. I do take my hat off to you for all the work you have put in Chris for the benefit of others but I would be a little cautious with the full screen content.
Every good wish. [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 12, 2011 10:51 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If they do decide to investigate and find out you own your own home or something like that then you're running the risk of losing it.
John, you are explanation is scary everyone.

But I think if you are talking about Derann prints, YES...studios may confiscate our prints because (as we all know) most of the last Derann prints were actually ...... [Wink]

But those digests released by Ken, MGM, Castle, Marketing, UFA, etc were fully legal items. So we have legal items in our home, don't we?

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2011 11:24 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to answer, if I may. Technically, yes. We own these films/digests. But, on (most of) these films there usually is an "All rights reserved" disclaimer. Meaning, it's OK to watch it at home but if you show it on TV or anywhere else, even if there is no profit from that showing, then you are violating the copyright or something like that. Not really sure about the limitations. Like I said, right now I'm only getting a slap on the wrist for showing something that has music from someone else. I think this fantastic film quote is appropriate here.

VINCENT: Yeah, it breaks down like this: it's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it and, if you're the proprietor, it's legal to sell it. It's legal to carry it, which doesn't really matter 'cause -- get a load of this -- if the cops stop you, it's illegal for them to search you.
[Smile]

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2011 03:16 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing to be worried about is that by putting these copyrighted motion pictures on a public viewing platform such as YouTube you are broadcasting to the world. Now if it did come to a legal case there is no defence that could save the person who has violated the copyright. How seriously a court would take the piracy of an old Super 8 cut down is open to question but the upshot is there would quite likely be a criminal record whatever the punishment and if it's anywhere like Britain then you never lose that and your life is somewhat ruined. All this has nothing to do with YouTube giving you a slap because they may have spotted some copyrighted material, it is if the copyright holder of a motion picture spots the illegally posted material and decides to take action. The advice about just showing clips with a projector in shot would get around it but you wouldn't then show the whole of a reel.

Winbert, Super 8 prints will never be taken off you. There were some cases of this happening with 35mm in the UK years ago but then it was illegal to own them and may still be. That is not the case with Super 8.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2011 06:54 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I tried to post "The Exorcist" but, even as an unlisted video, it was blocked. As a result, I temporarily lost the privilege of uploading videos longer than 15 min. I deleted the video and the time restriction was lifted. I guess it just depends on what is uploaded and if the studio cares enough about it.

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2011 02:23 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has nothing to do with the studio Chris, it's all down to YouTube and they just try to prevent potenitally offensive material. If any of the studios spot their copyrighted material on YouTube they are most likely to take action against the individual who posted it rather than YouTube. But then again they may sue YouTube as well as they're likely to have more money.

Be careful. It's not worth losing your house over a few old Super 8 cut downs.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2011 03:55 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, if YouTube was truly concerned about potentially offensive material, then how does this and other disturbing scenes from "The Exorcist" exist there? For anyone to watch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X9ygpi8WHA

I suppose it could be that this clip was posted before copyright infringement became a huge deal but I don't think so. It went up about a year ago. Or, did it just slip through the cracks? Again, I don't think so. I mean, the title says exactly what it is. Not only that, many people have posted this same clip and those are still available for viewing. It could be they now have new automated software to prevent copyright violation. I don't know. As for me, I only have a few more titles to put up. I'm willing to take the chance. I will take the digests down if they get blocked after the fact. Otherwise, with the exception of "Carrie", they'll be there for whoever wants to watch them.

--------------------

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2011 05:16 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading through this forum gives me concerns about how little we know about about copyright duration. Copyright lasts a good deal longer than a lot of people perceive http://www.caret.cam.ac.uk/copyright/Page171.html and whilst this is a UK site the law in the US will no doubt follow similar lines.
If Youtube gave a toss about copyright infringement they would have next to no site content, so it suits them to turn a blind eye.
I have looked for stories of Youtube or individuals who post clips being sued but cannot see much information. My guess is a request by the copyright owner to remove the video usually does the trick and violations do not go much further.
Speaking as someone who was involved in filming a documentary which was posted onto youtube without asking our permission, I was very offended by the actions of the poster and thankfully youtube quickly removed the clip, but imagine how you would feel if you wrote a novel which someone else then passed off as their work.
Regarding the posting of digests on youtube; like others I suspect copyright owners may not be too concerned given the edited nature of the video. Maybe a continual image watermark with text explaining that the clip is only intended to help film collectors restore soundtracks on films they already own would further protect the poster.
The bottom line is that it is up to the clip poster to ensure that what they are doing is legal and ignorance of the law is no excuse in the eyes of the law.
John

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 15, 2011 07:22 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if we are not showing all content of product, it will be considered as "fair use"

Please google for the term of "fair use" in copyright issue but long-short it says "fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders"

We understand that digest does not show the whole film. People who watch digest will not get a full satisfaction that he has watched the entire films. So perhaps Chris' works can be categorized as "fair use"??

my 2 cents,

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2011 10:44 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thin, Winbert, very thin, but possible, IMHO. I first heard of "Duel" here, 4 years ago here on this forum at this thread. I just did a search to see if it's still there, and it's not. YouTube's error message was "This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been deleted." So who knows? Did YouTube initiate the deletion, or the user?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC