8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Advice on Finding Films...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice on Finding Films...
Adam Schultzman
Junior

- posted June 03, 2012 08:57 AM      Profile for Adam Schultzman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do you have all any recommendations for locating somewhat rare 16mm, Super 8 or Reg. 8 films to buy/trade? I'm looking for copies of a few early silent films (Dream of a Rarebit Fiend, The Red Spectre, Devil's Ball, early hand-colored films, edison/porter, any Ladislaw Starveitch, etc).
I've tried posting on a few of these hobby message boards and have been searching ebay for a couple years or so with not much luck... are there other ways of tracking down films? are there people who sell this stuff who are not online? how do you all go about it? I'm not much in contact with other collectors in my life, so i'm not sure how folks do it. anyhow, let me know if you all have any ideas or resources. thanks!
~adam

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 03, 2012 09:14 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, ebay is a gem of a place to ind super 8, even rare super 8, that also includes the other guages and, as a general rule, you'll find better bargains than you will from actual collectors.

You will find, on the "Films for sale" section, at the top of the page, a listing of nearly every known surviving super 8 company out there nd in most cases, the prints that are offered are in pretty good shape, (well, these days, one bad sale to a collector, and yo0u can do a lot of damage to your credibility).

That'[s a great place to start, of course, but then, there's the other option ...

Simply, place in the films for sale section, of whatever gauge you like, your "wanted" title, and I wouldn't be surprised that you will either get a response directly by PM, e-mail or post on this site, concerning your desired title ...

... or, the title you desire will suddenly pop up on ebay!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2012 06:40 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam you just need to look aggressively if there are only a handful of titles you are looking for... a 16mm print of Rarebit Fiend just sold on ebay last week for a reasonable price...Plus keep in mind that most prints of Red Spectre or most of the examples of hand colored early silents will be faded now. Finding a lowfade print of these will prove to be very challenging...I have had all of those titles over the years but have moved them along due to fading.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2012 07:31 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam..I sent you a message some time ago about Devil's Ball...a member of this forum (Hans Vandersloot) had this title on his FILMS FOR SALE list. I don't know if it is still there or if you already checked it out so I thought I'd post about it.

Bill [Smile]

P.S. I just checked and it is on his updated list on page 2. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC