8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Who can beat my custom made box (how to replace a missing artwork)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who can beat my custom made box (how to replace a missing artwork)
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 14, 2012 04:00 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,

This film has been sold a couple months ago, but since it was sent to South Africa, it took so long for buyer to receive it.

And since the buyer has not left any feedback, although Pat already asked me to write this, I was a bit hesitate to do that because if the buyer was not satisfied with my work then there is no point to write it.

However, yesterday I received a feedback for the item I sold and it says:

quote:
Fantastic seller - Will buy again from seller
Buyer: Member id lettie
Blue Water, White Death (Super 8mm film, 4 x 400', Color & Sound) VERY RARE!
US $350.00
(Jun-13-12 22:45)

So here is the story.

I traded some films with our Pat and one of them was "Blue Water White Death" stored in a custom made box. Not too bad, but it was taken from DVD cover make this more look like a DVD, while on the other hand I am so obsessed with Marketing Film box type (the best artwork I ever found until now)

-

So I bought hard papers, and do as described below.

-

The first step is to find blue color identical with marketing color. So I scan one of Marketing film original box. I printed it to one side of the paper. The other side is left white blank. Using this color sample, I then re-colored all boxes (MS Paint is enough to handle this job)´

The second step ­is to print the front cover and back cover on two separate papers (which I have measured that will fit to the size of 7' reel).

I made 4 because the film is four reeler.

-

Third step is to cut the printed paper using a template box (found from the net).

The last step is to join the two papers into one so it become a box with flip on the top.

-

Look at the picture above. The reason I colored the inside part with blue, making it looks more professional like the original Marketing films box should be.

Now, I have 4 boxes of "Blue Water, White Death"

-

....but I was still not satisfied enough with it. I remembered Italian style box for multi-reelers film, so I made also like this one.

-

-

and here is if you want to see in better resolution for the back cover:

-

It takes hour of hours of work and significant cost for ink jet printer and color photocopy. But if it comes to satisfaction, it is worth a try!....moreover it was sold for $350! .....hahaa... :-)

Question?.... ;-)

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2012 04:05 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's amazing Winbert! Ever think of going into the Counterfeiting business? [Wink]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 14, 2012 04:12 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bryan,

The other hard work is to find the proper picture to be join together for the front and back cover. Some pictures are too bright or too dark making they look un-proffesional.

The second hard work is to find the closest font to the original Marketing used to have. I found it was ARIAL.

Then try to find the parallel title in two other languages that Marketing usually had (Spanish and French). And you can see I found the two languages.

And that can be done ..... because of GOOGLE...! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2012 04:52 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, if you want a more professional look, than use a self adhesive foil on the printed paper before cut.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 15, 2012 09:17 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a self adhesive foil on the printed paper before cut.
Oemer, is that some kind that to make the cover like laminated paper?

If so, I used glossy paper (one sided, the other side is matte surface).

However, for the glossy side I could not use ink jet, because the ink will get melted (?). So I must go to laser photocopy machine.

--------------------
Winbert

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2012 09:39 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can use photo paper.
Austin(:

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 15, 2012 10:01 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can use photo paper.
Yeah you are right, but that will be absolutely expensive.

--------------------
Winbert

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2012 11:58 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super work Winbert,.....now I have 625 films that require custom made boxes,just like these.....now when you have a few minutes!!!!!

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 15, 2012 12:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, I thought those covers/jackets were quite convincing when I saw them. It was a bang up job!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 15, 2012 12:59 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

This is fantastic work! As you know I am a lover of box art. This is the best work I have ever seen. It looks original. I realize how much time and work goes into this as I have done many myself. I find it fun to do. But then, I am retired and have plenty of time. I'm glad you finally posted the pics. I was looking forward to reading it. Even though it takes time a a little money, it will make the film sell for more money. This you found out on your auction. That film I traded you, I actually took out of "film cartridges" which was a real "pain in the ass"! But, it was worth the effort. I'm glad you did so well with the film.

One more thing...can you please send me the template you used or the URL of where you found it?

Thanks

PatD

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 16, 2012 03:30 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
can you please send me the template you used or the URL of where you found it?
Pat, there are a lot of templates you can find on the net. Just google image for "box template".

However when I applied it to 8mm box, it was not practicable because the template was for a small box that a A4 size paper can take front and back cover on one page.

Since an 8mm box is more than 7 inch wide, an A4 size paper was not enough to cater this, therefore I had to separate them on to 2 different papers.

Therefore the template is modified as follows:

-

and

-

There are two broken line on back cover (both bottom left and right), they are cut. The other lines are to be folded.

The area size is +7". "+" or "plus" means you make a bit larger. But the larger box you have the looser reel placed inside. For me, it is better to have a bit tight so reel is not moving inside the box.

The thickness of the box is 0.5", but again you can make it + or - depend on what is the thickness of your reel. However, to be noted that for the back cover, you should make it a bit less than 0.5" because they are going to be glued to the front cover which have 0.5' wide.

Good luck guys!

[ June 18, 2012, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 18, 2012 08:42 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, I made a correction on back cover, only on broken lines part.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC