8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Master and Commander Price? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Master and Commander Price?
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2012 12:21 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Gentlemen and Ladies

I haven't been on this board for some time, although I have been lurking a bit lately.

My reason for posting is that I have a new in its box, never been projected copy of Master and Commander that I may be selling to a member of this forum. At least he has first refusal (so this isn't a For Sale Ad [Wink] ) and I would like some guidance as to what would be a fair price for both him and me.

I haven't seen any similar films up for sale so have nothing to go on, so any guidance would be much appreciated.

As I mentioned above, this is not a For Sale Ad, if the chap with first refusal doesen't buy it for any reason I shall list it in the For Sale section here.

Many thanks film fans.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 01, 2012 02:14 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I remember you were in battle to get this title and was lost in shipping which apparently delivered to your neighbor. Was that the story?

Now about the Mater & Commander price, is this hard to judge the price other than looking back to the previous sale.

OK, last March Mertin (Palamut Pictures) sold the same title for $449 (GBP 286) in this forum:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=003364

So guess yourself what will be the price after three months.

Good luck!

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=003364

--------------------
Winbert

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 01, 2012 02:38 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think it should be over $500 + since it is Brand New.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2012 03:34 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Winbert and Alan,

Many thanks for your quick responses!

Winbert, yes this is the copy I ordered when the possibility of this being released was first mooted. I ordered it really to help make the possibility a reality, Derann were after so many pre-orders to make the print run viable.

It was despatched to my parents address whilst I was taking a year out to travel and you remember rightly, there was a lot of confusion at the time as my parents were insistant that it hadn't been delivered, when in fact it had!

Anyway, the print was never projected as I have never since had a proper screening area set up.

Alan, thanks for your suggestion of price. My own thoughts were around £450 for an as new, unprojectd copy of this limited run. I want to be fair to both myself and the buyer so it's important to me to get others views on its value.

Thanks again

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 01, 2012 03:47 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mike, good to hear from you, Hope all is good,
This was (i think im right) the last ever feature release by Derrann films, not that many copies around at all.
Difficult to put a price on this but nowadays good features go for good money, i would have thought for a brand new print it would have to be £400 plus, the print is gauranteed quality and in scope stereo this title rarely come up very often at all.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 01, 2012 05:56 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, the only way is to put on Ebay with GBP 400 (or GBP 399 for catching the eyes) starting price and see if it will be sold.

Good luck Mike, and hope you are not leaving 8mm at all.

--------------------
Winbert

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 01, 2012 06:24 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You just need to find the right buyer for that film. If Titantic sold for $900...and it was used, this should go for around the same amount. You can post it on Ebay and then if it doesn't sell the 1st time around than keep listing it at the price you want for it. I would not sell it for less than you paid. With Derann gone...you should be able to sell it for at LEAST that amount. Good Luck! Pumbaa and Timon say hello! [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 01, 2012 06:45 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
this should go for around the same amount.
First, Titanic was released by CHC that is known to offer price 1.5 times more expensive than Derann, so it will impact the second hand price.

Secondly, with all due respect, Titanic is 194 minutes film. It is almost equal to 2 normal full feature. At the end, price of films is based on the material length, not like other format that is not sensitive to this.

I think MC is 130sh minutes.

--------------------
Winbert

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 01, 2012 06:50 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Master and Commander has Russell Crowe? [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 01, 2012 06:52 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can you tell I didn't like Master and Commander?
Or perhaps you were thinking we were talking two features in row, i.e "Master" and "Commander"...hahaha [Big Grin]

quote:
But Master and Commander has Russell Crowe?
But no Kate Winslet is there... [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 01, 2012 11:30 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I'm thrilled to see a new post with your name attached! I hope all is well and best of luck with your sale.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 02, 2012 12:03 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's obviously great to be able to buy a brand new sealed print and I wish Mike all the best for a successful transaction. But in such a situation, I think it may be worth agreeing with a buyer what he would be able to do if the print had any faults, as obviously Derann couldn't replace any reels. It wasn't extremely unusual for such a problem to arise and I recall one buyer of M&C mentioning his frustrations on this forum. It was always a big relief for me if every reel of a feature was fine, so if I was buying an unchecked Derann release and there was a 'no returns' policy, I'd be willing to pay considerably less than I would otherwise.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2012 03:08 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's obviously great to be able to buy a brand new sealed print and I wish Mike all the best for a successful transaction. But in such a situation, I think it may be worth agreeing with a buyer what he would be able to do if the print had any faults, as obviously Derann couldn't replace any reels. It wasn't extremely unusual for such a problem to arise and I recall one buyer of M&C mentioning his frustrations on this forum. It was always a big relief for me if every reel of a feature was fine, so if I was buying an unchecked Derann release and there was a 'no returns' policy, I'd be willing to pay considerably less than I would otherwise.
That's a good point and I have to admit, it had occurred to me. In this case, the potential buyer is someone who I think is particularly interested in the film becuse of its "new" status, if I were to run it through the projector it would no longer have that keudos. The trouble is, he lives on the other side of the world, so if it did turn out to have a fault, that's a lot of shipping.

On that basis, I think if we agree a sale, I might suggest that if the film has a fault, he can return it to me for a full refund, less the return shipping. Would that be fair?

Doug, Adrian and Tom, great to be chatting to you too! And Alan, please send my regards to Simba. [Wink]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2012 04:56 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound stripes on my print are crap so the quality of the original recording does really need to be checked before it goes off in the post. If it were me I'd rather the seller ran the opening minute of each reel to confirm it's okay.

I've never actually run my print with the original sound and always screened it in sync' with the DVD tracks. Others can't do this so whereas the sound stripe quality is not particularly important to me it will be to others.

Whatever the quality of the sound it's still got to be worth in the order of £400.

The last feature length print of Titanic was sold in Poundland for a £ just to get shot of it. And that was too much in my opinion! [Smile]

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 02, 2012 06:56 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
John,I couldn't agree more,what I would do is check this print
to make sure it's okay.As long as your projector does not mark
the film,I can't see any problem.If I was a prospective buyer I
think I would be relieved that the print had been checked.Would
thar Derann and some others had done this in the past.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 03, 2012 08:45 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - if your buyer is eager to have an untouched print, I think your proposal is perfectly reasonable.

Hugh - Ironically, I can recall having to return at least one reel to Derann specifically because they had checked it! The checked section at the start had typical conspicuous 'Elmo running in reverse' marks.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 03, 2012 10:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Adrian. But I think Mike would be checking it on one of his Sankyo's, which I believe are as kind to film as the Eumigs.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2012 12:58 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, or anyone, please tell me what "Elmo running in reverse marks are"? So I shouldn't run my prints in reverse on the ST-1200, is it?

I don't usually do it but I have occasionally done it. God! [Frown]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 04, 2012 06:26 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay - The marks are certainly typical of Elmos (I've had at least two causing them, despite being new) but I certainly wouldn't say that they apply to all Elmos. In some cases, a projector might cause them, but not with every film. If you have run films in reverse, with the lamp on, you would spot them immediately if your projector was prone to do it, as they are caused by a black plastic part just below the gate. When it happens, you won't see a line, it will be conspicuous slightly curved emulsion marks about a third of the way from the edge of the frame, that don't cover the full height of the frame. Some filing down of the part can eradicate it but I'm afraid I don't know the technique.

A while back, I put a thread here to discuss this design flaw but the responses were along the lines of: "I'd never run my films in reverse" which seemed odd to me because it can't be unusual for people to do it after a quick picture and sound test before a show, or when recording sound on home movies.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 04, 2012 06:32 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay and Adrian,

If I played a film throguh my Elmo, I always manually un-thread the film.

Akhsay, with a piece of thick paper as a helper, you can do that. The thick paper is used when we un-thread the film from the first gears before film is going to the lens and on sound head section.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 04, 2012 06:37 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That has been a bone of contention with me Adrian on other
threads,are that Elmo projectors,good though they may be in
some respects,are untrustworthy regarding print care.
I honestly think that Mike ought to check his film and then his
and the buyers minds are at ease.Purchasing an expensive film
with a tag of "mint print",is not much consolation if one or more
of the spools has a fault.Your desciption just moves to near mint
or excellent.People will pay whatever if it's a title they want.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2012 11:59 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much, Adrian and Winbert.

Winbert, I too manually unthread my prints if I stop in between. It is faster. Only it needs to be done with care.

This print we speak of is unopened. After all the discussion here perhaps it is better to buy a copy that has been opened and viewed once. Then when I watch it and something isn't right, returning the print is an option.

This would be the case if I was buying the feature to watch it. What if the buyer doesn't want to watch it? Maybe he is getting it for a quick, or down-the-line in future, re-sell? Then he will want to get it unopened. Of course, the buyer in this case may not fall in this category but another buyer easily could.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 04, 2012 12:53 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buying a selaed print is kind of risky.

If I were buying a sealed film before the seller ship, i will ask him/her to open and see the reel inside.

Just fyi, I once bought a selaed print and the film inside suffered VS badly.

Off course this would not happen to Mike's print as the later prinst must be on mylar which would not get VS, right?

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 04, 2012 12:58 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly Akshay,sold as seen,or in this case, unseen.Someone
putting this film through their projector and discovering that the
sound is out of sync or maybe none at all,is not going to be
interested in a bit of shrinkwrap and a modest boast of "mint
condition".Run the film and check it,that is common sense.You
own the film and can charge whatever you want,or let people
bid on it.either way,people are not buying a "pig in a poke"
If you want to pursue this "mint print" exercise,be prepared for
trouble if somethings wrong.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 11:45 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have argued the buyer's case all along. How about the seller's perspective?

I think a seller of such a title stands to gain more by selling an unopened print. He can sell it at a higher price. Once sold, the seller isn't responsible for bad film because he hadn't opened it in the first place.

Correct logic?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC