8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Master and Commander Price? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Master and Commander Price?
Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 05:31 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to agree with Akshay on the point of...sell it as is/sealed with no guarantee beacause it is sealed or open and view and price accordingly. Maybe the buyer wants to buy a sealed print and take his/her chances.

Bill [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 05, 2012 06:58 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure on that one Akshay,as ebay seem to have their
own set of rules.Sold as seen,is usually the road to go down but
it would start alarm bells ringing with me if I was offered a film
under those circumstances.The sensible obvious choice is to
open the film,run it and sell the bloody thing,telling the buyer
it was shown once to check the film and I want "X" amount
for it.Personally I would not be parting with my"beer tokens"
on an unknown quantity.To sell something that you have no knowledge of is stupid and asking for trouble,as someone can
say there was no sound at all on the stripe,the seller can't argue
because he doesn't know,result; the seller looks stupid,which
he is, if he sells something not checked.As for checking, as John has suggested, the first few minutes,the box is open,check all
of it,there could be a picture fault.Listen, Derann once tried
to sell me a print that was a solid mass on the spools,caused
by being wound while the stripe was wet,imagine if it's one like that!

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 07:05 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To sell something that is sealed AS IS is not stupid. If the person buying it knows it is AS IS why does that make the seller stupid?

Bill [Confused]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 05, 2012 07:12 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, if you are selling something,for big bucks,and you nthink
that the label of "mint condition" is more important than the
condition of the said item,I would term that extremely stupid.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 07:21 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't say mint condition. I said AS IS.

Bill

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 05, 2012 07:27 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
If you read my above answer to Akshay,that is what I said.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 07:34 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I read your post but you where referring to me as being stupid for selling something I would label as mint condition with no regard for the contents and that is not what I said.

Just wanted to be clear.

Bill [Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 05, 2012 07:45 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,no offence intended,but would you take a chance on all the spools in that film being perfect,and paying a lot of money,purely
on the "mint cond.",I certainly would not.Considering that certain collectors have sellers performing "post mortems" on films reg.
splices,scratches what stock number etc.It's asking for trouble.
Another way is to sell it,with the offer of a refund if all is not as it
should be,of course that makes the "mint cond." redundant and
the seller out of pocket.Anyway that's up to Mike,it ain't our
problem.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 05, 2012 08:55 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that this is being discussed with a lot of detail, I'll throw in another pertinent factor. I admit that I'm quite fussy about flaws on prints. I know from experience that factors that to me make a print less than perfect (e.g. above average sideways or up and down movement or being printed off centre) sometimes seem completely insignificant to others. So whilst I appreciate the arguments in favour of running the print in question, if it was me doing so, it could possibly result in me saying to the prospective buyer: "It's mostly OK but reel 2 could be better because...... and reel 6 has........". I then offer to take £100 off the price and I'm grateful if the buyer proceeds. But if I'd sent the sealed print to the buyer, he may well have thought it's great throughout and happily paid the full asking price!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 05:02 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that's one scenario Adrian,but suppose it isn't,what then,and
I know for a fact that the odd faulty print was re wrapped and
sent out again as new from Derann,because I've had them.A new
print of "Flash Gordon" had a scratch right through spool two,
it was replaced,but my shipping costs weren't.
I can't understand why someone would keep a print this length
of time without viewing it,it just strikes me as odd.Like I said earlier,I'm glad it isn't my problem,because I would have checked the film and there wouldn't be one.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 12:27 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks everyone for your thoughts and views, and Hugh for your opinions, though I'm not sure I appreciate being referred to as stupid simply because I have a film that I have never viewed and am now offering for sale [Roll Eyes] .

Anyway, I shall have a chat with my potential purchaser and see if we can work something out. In fairness to everyone who has contributed to this thread I'll let you know what we decide in terms of whether the film should be viewed prior to sale.

Thansk again

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 01:19 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Hugh was at his most diplomatic with the remark in question. I do have two or three new prints in my collection that for no good reason I've never checked let alone watched, and they go back a lot longer than M&C! It could be said that if you have a film that you never get round to watching, then it might make sense to sell it and give someone else the chance!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 03:00 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most members have been collecting for several decades. Am just a kid in comparison. Yet I feel compelled to add a few words here.

Let me put Hugh's argument in perspective. He asks the seller to open and test the film. If the film is not perfect, the seller stands to lose. If the film was unopened, the seller loses money just for breaking the seal. Hugh asks the seller to take responsibility for what he is selling. This in fact is the trait of a good honest seller. If Hugh does this with every film he sells, we forum members have nothing to fear when making purchases from him. Despite his harsh words, Hugh may have a point.

The problem is the price of unopened features vs. that of used features. If the buyer isn't a movie studio or an archiving establishment, I don't understand the logic behind the purchase of a sealed print. Can someone please explain? Mind you, I don't question the logic of higher price for new prints, but the logic of purchasing higher priced new prints for private screenings (confusingly long sentence?).

What is the buyer's perspective? Since am just starting out in the hobby, I want to watch all the films I purchase. Then why buy a sealed print at the higher price? But .... would I ever buy a sealed print? If I had the money, maybe just once to see ... to see what it feels like.

Oh dear, the conclusions of paragraphs 3 and 4 contradict each other. [Frown] Shows this is a hard case to resolve, arguments can be easily made from both sides.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 03:02 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds a lot like "passing the buck" Adrian,how anyone can
buy these films,and especially from Derann and expect them to
be without any problems amazes me.I apologise if I have offended
but to hoard away unwatched prints isn't to me a wise act.How
are you going to rectify any faults like duplicate reels,no stripe,
low sound,synchronisation being out,this takes being "laid back"
to the ultimate 180 degrees! I know from experience that in all
the years I have dealt with Derann,and had a good relationship
with them,the quality of care wasn't always there,but the
sideways weave always was.It seems that some poor soul will
take all the risk,with little or no chance of sorting any faults.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 03:08 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, ...the only solution now is to bring this film to Roger Shunk (member of this forum).

He might be able to check your film without opening the seal. He is a magician btw if you don't know. I see David Blaine can do this, so why cannot Roger...?

(ps: pssst...others don't let Mike know that I was actually asking Roger to turn this print into ROSE...!)

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

cheers guys!

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 03:21 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It would serve them right Winbert.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 03:24 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I apologise if I have offended
but to hoard away unwatched prints isn't to me a wise act.

Hugh, I shall explain again. I ordered this print because Derann were lookng for 30 pre-orders in order to make it worth while to do a print run. At the time, I found it interesting to be part of a project to get a feature released on Super 8 when it looked like it might be the last one.

By the time the print run eventually went through and the prints were distributed, I had sold my house and was travelling the world, the print was delivered to my parents address in the UK.

When we returned to the UK, it was a while before we moved into another house of our own and it just happened that when we did, it was one with a double garage and that gave me the opportunity to get back into my first love of old VWs.

Consequently, I have never quite got round to setting up a screening room, and all my features, Master and Commander included, have remained in storage.

When I first mooted the possibility of selling it and mentioned that it was unopened and unscreened, one collector in particular found that quite appealling. Hence my starting this thread.

It was quite innocent really and I'm sorry you find it so disturbing.

Mike

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 03:52 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't disturb me in the least Mike.It would disturb me if I was a prospective buyer,a bit like buying a valuable oil painting in a
crate that no one has actually seen.I've given my advice which
is up to you to take or leave.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2012 05:48 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to close the circle here, this is to let you know that the print is now sold as an unused and unprojected print. The price agreed reflects, to some extent, the risk the buyer is taking.

Many thanks for all your help and advice.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 07, 2012 06:00 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike are you sure that you are not handing over ROSE ?

So whose "Master and Commander" on my table now?

Anyway...... Thanks Roger!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2012 11:04 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

It's great to see you back on the forum.

I hope you are keeping well?

Personally I would rather buy a new unused print if the opportunity arose which is a very rare thing these days.

If it was faulty there are enough very knowledgable guys on the forum to point the buyer in the right direct for a re-record of the soundtrack if so required.

Anyway I bet you wished you had put it straight on eBay now [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

[ July 07, 2012, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Mark Williams ]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 07, 2012 11:11 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your sale Mike,hope everythings okay.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 07, 2012 12:35 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh - I certainly would not be "passing the buck" if I sold a never-projected film of mine, I would come to an arrangement with the seller that took into account potential problems just as Mike has. In the case of the Derann prints I have that I haven't viewed, I'm certainly not implying there's any merit in not viewing them; it's simply 'one of those things' that I never have. A couple are 'scope and I only set up a scope screen occasionally. One was bought at the end of Derann's trading, when we were all taking a chance as nothing could be returned. Not sure why you feel so strongly about this as no one has advocated anything improper. I've tended to be jobs involving long hours and I've simply had a shortage of spare time for years on end!

Akshay - If you're new to the hobby, you may not yet know that a high proportion of used films in circulation have visible wear of varying degreees that may be distracting and will certainly make the film less valuable. You are of course more likely to find wear on older releases than relatively recent ones, but there's still an element of doubt with more modern releases, unless you are buying from a thorough and reputable seller who can assure you that this doesn't apply. Not everyone has good or well-maintained projectors, so with a sealed print, you at least know that the owner hasn't caused any wear. I've known collectors to claim that a projected print can never be mint (although I disagree) and I expect those taking this view feel would always expect to pay less for a print that has been screened.

Incidentally, don't forget that you can easily have the experience of buying a new print as there are still new releases. It's recommended as it helps to keep the hobby going! But I don't think any of them are sealed nowadays!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 07, 2012 12:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about demand for the title, of course.

Take Peckam's "Close Encounters" print that sold for a very high price but then, it's a very desireable print. "STAR WARS", though many prints were made, is however, very desireable and as of late, (as I well know), it can go for a lot. One forum member here got 1,800 for his print, and that one wasn't in pristine condition. I got 1,000 dollars for my extra print, and that one was pristine. My rare 1980's printing of "Empire Strikes Back" (in cineavision), just sold weeks ago for 1,200 dollars.

... so, were in a period where, naturally, everyone who owns a print of the above titles wants top dollar as well, and it would be grand if every print did go for a lot, (though it does price out those who don't have a lot of bucks) ...

"Master" has far fewer people clamoring for it, so it will bring in far less. I'm betting that it will do far better overseas, (such as the UK) when it comes to bringing in top dollar.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 07, 2012 06:03 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian,i'll move this to a new post as it isn't fair on Mike.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC