8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2012 07:06 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI! FRIENDS LAST NIGHT A HAVE SCREENING THE TRAILER AND THE FEATURE OF RAIDERS OF LAST ARK FROM DERANN,IN MY NEW 10FT SCREEN
THIS,S ONE OF MINE ADVENTURE FILM AND MY SON LOVE IT

REGARDS:
LUIS CARAMELO

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 04, 2012 12:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luis, is it Derann or CHC? I never knew Derann relesaed Indiana Jones.

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 04, 2012 01:06 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they did Winbert,I believe they were German origin
and Derann rerecorded them,like "Jurassic Park".
I have them and will check.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 04, 2012 04:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are of German origin. I have "Raiders" myself and it is a very sharp print. You can't watch it too often, (though sometimes I cheat and just watch the last two reels).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Antonio Costa Mota
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 01:12 PM      Profile for Antonio Costa Mota   Email Antonio Costa Mota   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ola Luis
To project your movies on a 10 ft. screen, you must have a large
projection room. How far is the projector from the screen ?
What projector do you use ? Cumprimentos.

--------------------
António C. Mota

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 06:00 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original trilogy of features available on Super 8mm are of German origin, Temple of Doom is the uncut version too [Big Grin]

Best,
Rick

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 09:07 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did German collectors manage to print the last Indiana Jones, the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ?

Because I heard they managed to print one of Star Wars prequel.

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 12:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky ...

What do you mean by "un-cut"? Could the print they used be of foreign origin, and therefore have shots cut from the US to insure PG-13?

This is intriguing!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 08:36 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luis, "Raiders"... not a single film closer to my heart!

Those super 8 prints (where DID they come from [Wink] ) are so special.

Osi, now you've opened a can of snakes! The UK theatrical prints of "IJATTOD" were not only cut, but re-edited / sound-mixed at the request of the then head of the BBFC in order to acheive a PG rating here.

Raiders (1981) was rated A at time of release. The rating system was U / A / AA (15 and over) / X (18 and over).

By the time of "IJATTOD" release (1984), the UK had adopted U / PG / 15 /18 and TOD was declared a 15, unless alterations were made.

Now ratings were still important to a distributer (European release was CIC in the case of Paramount) because they could potentially still sever a major part of the film's intended audience (we were still just getting into home video rental / sell-through market), especially with a big summer Lucas-Berger production at that time.

So the then BBFC head (whose name I forget, but others will enlighten me) stepped in and declared TOD a 15 rated film, but could, with cuts (and direct negotiations with it's director) be released as PG.

Rumour has it, said "fella" rather liked hobnobbing with Hollywood types and throwing around his own "authority" (with a small "a"...my opinion)... although, of course this is all conjecture and myth of which validation I hold no responsibility.

Thus, when released theatrically in the UK, TOD had several cuts made.

This side of the pond, we really didn't have general access to the "UN-CUT" American version until the DVD releases about 10 years ago (I suppose, if you really wanted to, you could access NTSC VHS versions or NTSC Laserdisc versions).

And that is the "un-cut" version...the original PG-13 rated TOD you always saw in the good old USA.

What makes it worse is that when TOD had a video release here in the UK, more stupid BBFC ideas enforced further cuts to the UK theatrical version in order to ensure a PG rating on video cassette and subsequent DVD releases.

Anyway, I was going to go into the various cuts / alterations but it's late here and a long week at work...so if anyone is actually interested apart from Osi and myself I may consider ranting on about this subject some more...

Suffice to say, the US version of TOD is THE version (and a rather brilliant film I may add, even if deeply flawed and not quite what everyone, including the Berg expected to make at the time) and that us UK residents were made to suffer the various censoured "cut" versions because we are all stupid and can't bring up our kids not to punch each other in the chest just cos they saw it in a movie, least alone rip each other's hearts out.. and that as adults we really shouldn't whip children either cos that's wrong also... or crack a man's head against a cliff face... well, not if you can actual HEAR it... if you can do it silently it's ok, apparently... [Roll Eyes]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 11:06 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It works the other way too, when Hammer films were cut to pieces
to eschew any nudity that might offend the US kiddies.They also
did the same on the US 16mm prints.It's no wonder Hammer
died the death, as the US was it's main market.

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 09:38 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And in an attempt to avoid the BBFC being perceived as part of the 'nanny state' its title changed from British Board of Film Censorship to British Board of Film ClASSIFICATION. Surely thats two distinct directions?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC