8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Any tips for a beginner ? and feedback on the equipment I have

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any tips for a beginner ? and feedback on the equipment I have
Amanda Parker
Junior

- posted July 07, 2012 11:36 AM      Profile for Amanda Parker   Email Amanda Parker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I am just getted started and have the following pieces of equipment

Cameras
Kodak Ektasound 130 Year: 1974-77
Kodak INSTAMATIC M14 MOVIE CAMERA FOR SUPER 8 MOVIES

PROJECTORS
Bolex SM8 BOLEX SM 8 Super 8mm Projector 1967
EUMIG Mark 501 Super 8 & Std 8mm Silent Cine Film Projector

EDITING
DIA 3 WAY EDITOR
Diamond Dia 3 Way Editor Model P marketed in 197?
Boots Supaslice

SCREEN
Boots The Photographers Chemists Simplex screen made in italy by FINS 40" x 40"

FILMS
Bugs Bunny super 8 colour sound film
The Wombles in What's Cooking ? 8mm sound film

ASS
PHILIPS Photolia
http://youtu.be/sL0_LoGXCfU (plus a few other things)

Would be interested if anyone is using the same kit ? and if so How they find it ?

--------------------
My Great Grandfather was a photographer and cinema propriotor, while I have always worked with digital I am playing with some old eqipment http://youtu.be/sL0_LoGXCfU to get a feel for it.

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 07, 2012 03:15 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum Amanda,you/ve got some good reliable
kit there,more than a lot of us had when we started off,well done.

Amanda Parker
Junior

- posted July 07, 2012 03:20 PM      Profile for Amanda Parker   Email Amanda Parker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hugh

--------------------
My Great Grandfather was a photographer and cinema propriotor, while I have always worked with digital I am playing with some old eqipment http://youtu.be/sL0_LoGXCfU to get a feel for it.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 07, 2012 05:59 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Amanda,I do have the Eumig 501 projector, and it's a very
reliable little machine that will take care of your filmstock,likewise
with the Bolex.You might care to take note that the replacement
lamp for the Eumig is the A1/263 that replaces the old 8v 50w
lamp that was A1/17.These can be obtained through any cine
dealer.Best of luck with your new interest.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2012 06:11 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Amanda, and welcome aboard.

Apart from gear, I would say it is a good thing to make rigorous cleaning of your projectors a habit. You should have a bottle of 99% alcohol, some chamois cloth (lint free) and a spray can of compressed air available.

I clean after every reel change, no exceptions, because the gate and the film are so small that it takes very little to either put hairs in the gate or, worse, put a permanent scratch on a good print.
I wipe the gate with alcohol, then spray it with air, and I spray all the nooks and crannies of the film path, sprockets and such. Then I turn on the projector and the lamp and look at the gate "empty" on the screen to make sure it is clean. When I see that is good, I am comfortable rolling a movie.

It may sound like a bit much, but it only takes one precious film that you love being scratched before you are beating yourself up for not having done it.. [Smile]

Have fun and check back with us!

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2012 06:30 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would get a new ASS because Philips' ASS is not so good...

[Razz] sorry couldn't resist,

but you have some good stuff there, but you might want to increase your light output if you wind up getting more old standard 8 prints since the 501 Eumig is an excellent starter machine for standard 8, but you'll want to get one of the Eumig 800 series'

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Amanda Parker
Junior

- posted July 08, 2012 03:09 AM      Profile for Amanda Parker   Email Amanda Parker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dino, Hugh and Claus

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC