8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Does this reel fit on ST-1200?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does this reel fit on ST-1200?
Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2012 03:20 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I knew what it is called, I'd have searched. So please help me out.

The blue reel is 1200' for sure, the other one is much bigger.

-

[ August 27, 2012, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Akshay Nanjangud ]

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 20, 2012 03:49 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That spool Akshay is for 16mm,note the centre hole.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 20, 2012 03:49 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The blue reel is 12" across and will fit the st1200. It looks like a Taylor reel. The larger reel looks like a 16mm rell that is about 15" across which will not fit. [Wink]

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2012 03:55 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! That explains it. Thing is, the 16mm reel has Super 8 film in it.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 20, 2012 06:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can a 16mm reel spool 8mm (double the size) without the film falling apart?

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 20, 2012 07:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The plot thickens!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 20, 2012 07:54 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going by the pics. I can be wrong. If the film fits on the reel snuglt then obviously it a super 8mm reel. It could be a 2000' s8 reel? [Wink]

Raymond Glaser
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2012 08:04 PM      Profile for Raymond Glaser   Email Raymond Glaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of those grey reels - They are about 3/8 inch thick and hold Super 8 film - They WILL NOT hold 16mm film - They are made by "PLASTIC REEL CORPORATION OF AMERICA" - The problem with them is the center hub won't fit a super 8 projector spindle

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2012 08:10 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some 16mm projectors which need repair. The grey reel fit on this projector's spindle, so it is a 16mm reel.

I un-spooled the Super 8 film onto a 1200' reel.

Raymond Glaser
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2012 08:26 PM      Profile for Raymond Glaser   Email Raymond Glaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm film will NOT fit on the grey reels that I have

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 20, 2012 09:05 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They are made by "PLASTIC REEL CORPORATION OF AMERICA"
That's the name I couldn't think of. Senior moment [Confused]

Thanks Ray!

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2012 04:35 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gray reel was made for the "Extend-A-Reel" which was similar to the Eiki Long Play Pedestal Unit for 16mm. I have a Extend-A-Reel in storage. The Super 8mm reels were made for them by PRC. They also made cans to fit the reels. Do a Google search for "Eiki Long Play Pedestal Unit" to see what the 16mm unit looks like and how it is used. The company was named Ra-Cine and was in Racine, Wisconsin. They also sold a handful of their own releases in Super 8mm Sound B&W. The Film/Print division was named Heritage Films. The company folded when the owner lost his battle with Cancer years ago.

[ August 25, 2012, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Joe Balitzki ]

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Raymond Glaser
Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2012 06:06 AM      Profile for Raymond Glaser   Email Raymond Glaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have three of the gray reels for trade if someone can use them

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2012 12:14 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those "Extend-A-Reel"s were made in the days of standard 8, that's why the center hub is small. I also have a number of those.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2012 07:20 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Extend-A-Reel" could be used with either 8mm gauge. It was made for use with any projector that only had a small takeup capacity. Useful for a feature presentation without numerous reel changes. However, you had to have quite a bit of room behind the projector to set it up. And you had to adjust the speed/tension of the takeup as the showing progressed. Its like having a platter system for 8mm.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 27, 2012 08:17 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akhsay, see your second photo has now changed to "Fantasia 2000". It can be like this because you have the same file names for both pictures and accidetally uploaded to this forum with those two same names resulting the previous one us was replaced by the newer files.

It usually happens when we use a very generic names such as "photo 1" or "IMG0001". In this case you named (or your camera automatically named) the file as "DSC1.JPG".

Please next time use a very unique name which even not other members will use it such as "AkshayFantasia" or "Akshaypicture1" etc, etc.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2012 08:41 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think that was the reason, Winbert. Take care of it in future. Thanks!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 27, 2012 08:47 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if you want to put the previous photo back, name the file differently and check if the link has different path with the one here (thread about "Fantasia 2000"):

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000367;p=2

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2012 09:49 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I re-named my James Earl Jones pic and upload on the 8mm Print Review thread but James is still here! Did Earl overwrite the pic I had here on the forum link?

I don't have copies of the pictures in this thread to re-post the images. I decided to send James packing.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 27, 2012 10:23 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think the Earl Jones pict has overwritten the pict here.

I tried to google cache this thread in hoping to get your old picture but the cache`s last capture was Aug 22 where the Earl Jones pict has overwritten it.

Glad you have deleted the second pict so it will not confuse the new readers. I had a topic where I was talking a lens but another member who accidentally uploaded a pict with the same file name make my thread has a pict that was totally far from the lens issue.

Since it was uploaded by another member, sadly I could not re-upload the picture other than to totally delete it.

Hopefully the forum new software can deal with this problem.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC