8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » RAISE THE TITANIC Sound Issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RAISE THE TITANIC Sound Issue
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2012 09:12 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently picked up the Derann 600' "Raise the Titanic". A great digest with good color but has anyone noticed any sound problems with their copy? The sound on mine is very loud and gets a bit distorted at times.

Here is a clip. The sound level on the projector was set at 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDh1gn0Gxms

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2012 03:35 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris,

My copy sounds great, so it sounds like a bad recording (I can't believe that of Derann [Wink] ).

It is possible that the magnetic stripe is at fault making a good recording difficult.

This could happen on Derann release post-1991/92, when Derann started to apply their own magnetic stripe and would often resulted in this kind of classic "drop-out".

However (unless this was a later re-print) this was released on pre-stripe so that is unlikey, although not impossible (see if you can examine the stripe to make sure it looks good and uniform; not a definitive way of making sure, but at least if it did look bad then it would save you the hassle of attempting a re-record).

Most likely, I reckon, is a dodgy recording which a re-record would put right, if you can somehow arrange one [Confused]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 07, 2012 03:56 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

Sorry I cant help with your sound, a re-record would be the way to go, but thanks all the same for posting that clip it looked really good.

Graham.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2012 01:17 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, any luck regarding re-recording your print.

Looking again, your print is the flat version?

Is it the 2 x 400ft version, or feature.

Print looks good; surely we can help on this forum with a new soundtrack? :

Graham; why would a re-record be the way to go, unless you know something we don't?

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2012 01:45 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my 600ft digest I used to have of RTT had this sound problem also, the full feature has fine sound

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2012 09:31 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry to hear that you copy had the same sound, Patrick. Do you no longer have it? I wonder if Derann just had a bad run or do all the flat 600's have this sound? Has anyone else noticed this?

Rob, the stripe looks fine. I have not tried to do a re-record yet. I do have the film on VHS so I can make a new soundtrack. Unfortunately, the Chinon 1200 is the only sound projector I have that has variable speed and it is still not working. I might try the 6100 if I can find the time.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2012 03:42 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I no longer have the digest,I actually sold it so I could "raise" funds for the feature (excuse the pun!)
I believe it is a problem with maybe a batch of those digests, I know of others who have the RTT digest and the sound is fine.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC