8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Why collect?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why collect?
Jan Adolfsson
Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2012 07:59 AM      Profile for Jan Adolfsson   Email Jan Adolfsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I'm a complete beginner in this forum and I've just bought my first lot of Ken Super 8 films: Star Wars, Spiderman, Mash and a few others.

I have a couple of questions I think could be interesting to discuss so here goes. Why do you collect Super 8 films?

Is it because you like the feeling of handling and watching real film?

Or do you treat your collection as an investment? As I've understood, the films will, no matter how well you treat them, all eventually and gradually fade. When all films have faded what will then happened to the collection value? Will it be reduced to nothing?

For myself - I do it for the fun of it. For my love of real film And for the beautiful artwork :-)

But I'm not so eager to invest in the more expensive stuff since I'm afraid it's value with time will amount to nothing.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 19, 2012 08:16 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan,

First, welcome to the forum. You will meet many great people here who are willing to help you should you meet difficulties with your new hobby.

Regarding your question, your first guess is the most of us do that we like handling and watching real film.

Personally, I never think that I am investing money in my collection. I only sell films that multiple title or odd reels.

quote:
the films will, no matter how well you treat them, all eventually and gradually fade.
I believe your statement above will invite many responses from members here that not all films will fade because there are LPP, AGFA film stock that will not fade.

But I agree with you that film WILL fade because I have films printed on LPP and AGFA that is now fade.

Yes, film that has fade will reduce in price especially if a non-fade of the same title exist.

quote:
I do it for the fun of it. For my love of real film And for the beautiful artwork
Same thing for me too... I am doing this for fun and I love beautiful artwork of 8mm. I even made my own artwork when I found film without cover or only housed in a plain box. I will post another thread (with video) about this.

Last if you still ask "why collect" then the same question is also asked to vinyl (LP) collectors why still listen to a song with a lot of noise (pops). The answer is..."it's fun buddy" [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 19, 2012 08:54 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum Jan,I think that Winbert has encapsulated
film collecting there for the majority of folk.Regarding films losing
their value through fading,does it really matter in the long run,
as long as you have enjoyed them and continue to.I myself am
not put off by a faded print of a title I want,eventually they will,
thats the nature of things, so enjoy them while they are here.
As for film boxes etc, there are some members who quite easily could have made a living creating them,our own Winbert, Pat
D'Allessio and Tom Photiou are three names that spring to mind,
the examples shown on this very Forum would grace any display, they could have called themselves "Skills Unlimited".
It's a great hobby Jan which covers the whole spectrum,much
like the members on here, from authors to cameramen to
projectionists etc, there is much to be enjoyed.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2012 10:27 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan welcome to the forum and hobby. And thanks for the info Winbert, and Hugh . So Jan you think that your films will not out last you? I don't think so I'm 63 and some of my films still look the same as when I bought them some 30 to 40 years ago some are scratch and fade free. And I collect for fun, pleasure, feeling the film ,the smell,the sound,the reels, projector sounds,and showing at parties. And as Dino would say blowing peoples minds outside at showings . I show at the beach ,forests,mountains,parking lots,on the side of houses, on white walls, auditoriums,and theatres. "Have films will travel". Films are fun is a understatement! Woo! I love to make artwork for missing cases or boxes. Will my films last long ? They will out live me! And can I make money on films ? What titles do you have? I can get double the price I paid for my most famous films ,rarest title,blockbusters etc. If I sell on eBay and I get lucky the right person wants that for there collection they will pay big. And I know many of are members can sell the rarest film for profit. Especially now after the fad has increased by JJ Abrams and Spielberg's movie Super 8. So welcome once again to the hobby,fad or kick, fun, and investment.See ya!  -

-

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 19, 2012 12:07 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say Laksmi, that is not so much a collection as a snapshot
of cinema heaven you've got there.

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2012 12:53 PM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan,

I am also new to this forum, though I am not new to film collecting. I actually started with 35mm and I am now just just getting started into 16mm. These guys have definitely hit the nail on the head so I am sure I am not adding anything new. Do not be afraid to dish out for the more expensive stuff if you can, the rewards will definitely pay off in the end. I spent about 2 years collecting the equipment for my 35mm, and even right now I don't have the best sound equipment, mostly home audio equipment and not professional audio, at the moment, but I will tell you the image is remarkable. The same goes for super 8 and 16mm. I agree too it isn't so much as an investment as it's just the excitement of having these films, handling them and projecting them. The film will certainly out last you or me if they are properly taken care of. And yes some will fade, but again the ones printed on the low fade stock(LPP) are not likely to fade if store properly. The biggest concern is the dreaded vinegar syndrome, and I myself have freaked out about this, bur once you read up about it and see the storage requirements, it's really not that bad and sitting inside a moderate climate house doesn't really harm the film. For me, personally running film through a projector to create an image on the screen is something magical. To me it's amazing watching something very mechanical produce an image. I think you'll find that collecting is a very rewarding experience. Sorry for posting on yours as a newbie to the forum, not trying to take away from that.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 19, 2012 01:10 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the Forum Matt, nothing to apologise for, it's great
that you collect 16 & 35mm and I'm sure you'll find plenty of
talking points on here.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2012 01:26 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I collect for nostalgic reasons. Doug once said to me at a CineSea event that "it reminds us of when we were 15 - still living at home - watching movies either in our rooms or on a big wall". All this and more.... It takes me back in time to a very happy place and also it's something of a legacy to leave my daughters.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2012 06:12 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jan!

Welcome to the forum! I grew up with film...my young life is chronicled on super 8 (thanks to Mom & Dad) and when I was a teenager in the mid 80's I took over the film equipment and used it for a couple years. Then I took a long vacation from film and about 7 years ago shot a roll and I fell in love all over again. This is when I started collecting packaged films and commercially produced stuff because before I was just a filmmaker.

I agree with all that has been said but I would like to add that I am a completest...meaning one part of the hobby I really enjoy is the hunt of certain titles....

I love Tweety Bird and I have 16 of his 'toons on film,
I have 14 of the 17 Superman 'toons on film,
I have quite a few Hitchcock titles,
and so on....

So having specific things I'm looking for really keeps the hobby alive for me.

Plus it's just cool to have film prints of your favorite stuff!

Bill [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 19, 2012 07:31 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, your sentiments are so true my friend, like a mirror image of my own life and experiences growing up in the 70's and 80's! went entirely digital in the 00's. Havenow witnessed perfect projected blu-ray prints on my 1080p projector since 2009 but still find myself drawn and very much attached once again to the nostalgia and romance of my first encounter and love of home cinema and that was Super 8!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2012 01:04 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I remember showing off on the beach in Hawaii doing a showing of a Digest of Star Wars . That I had it and it was only seen in theatres. Wow everybody was filling my tip jar. I had a bed sheet between to poles in this beach park. And the projector pluged into the outlet for those electric cookers. And as a kid I would bring films to school that no one could see anywhere but TV or at the cinema. I had a tree house and kids would pay me to come up to see a cartoon that was not even on TV because the TV shows were mostly black and white. And I had real color Disney cartoons on film. I would run a long power cord to my projector that my dad got me for Christmas. And I could now give up my crank or batterie operated toy projector.Wow I guess you guys are right it brings back memories.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 20, 2012 10:33 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar story Laksmi. Back in the early 1950's in the UK, hardly anyone had a TV, and if they did it was usually a 9ins model, sometimes with a big plastic lens on top to make it look bigger! [Big Grin] So about that time I aquired my first ever movie projector, the ubiquitous 9.5MM Pathescope ACE. I ran a long power cord from the back room of the house to the shed at the back of the garden, and inside the shed I had a 30 ins glass beaded screen attached to the wall. Here I would crank 30, 60, and 300ft reels from the Pathescope film library to the enchantment of the local kids, who had never seen anything like it before, except of course at the cinema. Popeyes, Mickey Mouse, old British Hitchcock's, like Blackmail and The Ring, German classics like White Hell of Pitz Palu, Hal Roach comedies like It's A Gift with Snub Pollard, newsreels, travelogues, you name it - Pathe had them all. I charged the kids 6 pence per show, and that payed for the weekend rental of the films from the town photo shop. Happy days indeed, when kids could really appreciate the simple pleasures of life in a much less complex world.
I still have the ACE, and it looks and runs like new. Even today, when I have super 8 stereo and a library of color features, running 9.5mm films on the little Ace still gives me great pleaure. Just like an old friend. [Smile]

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2012 11:44 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a lot of movies but there are some that I can see over and over again. Those are the films I try and collect. Thanks for the question!

I still love looking at the films and handling the stuff and seeing it on a large screen and with an audience.
As a great director once told me, "we love the feel and stink of film". To feel time moving through your fingers, to know what a second is in physical terms is an invaluable sensation for filmmakers and editors and those who love film. To actually see the series of still frames that give us the illusion of movement. That connects for me.

Great stories Laksmi, and Paul, about the Pathe.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC