8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » DVD copies of Super 8 prints .... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DVD copies of Super 8 prints ....
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 25, 2012 02:55 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hope it doesn't come to that John,I can understand the
reasoning behind it, but I'd hate for him to come unstuck with
the copyright law, even though he does seem to be leading with his chin.It's just a shame he didn't just keep it "in house" on here
as I'm sure members would have bought them,coupled to which
he'd be out of the public eye.

|  IP: Logged

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2012 04:10 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curiosity killed the pussy(they say).Just have to have a look at these.Can he really remaster rotten old digests?I've sent for the Planet of the Apes and the "Creature"dvds [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 25, 2012 04:38 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly don't know Trevor, I would imagine they are taken from
another source and he follows the original edit of the condensation.They could be most useful to anyone who wishes
to put sound on their own films, but I question the sense in
leaving himself open to legal action on Ebay.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2012 03:10 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main prosecutions of pirates come when they start charging for what they have ripped off. I think he'd have got a rough ride if he'd have come on here and started trying to get money out of people for work he hadn't done himself.

Like a lot of people he probably thinks that because the company that put out the super 8 cut down is no longer around that means their work is free for anyone to make use of. It doesn't work like that as they licenced the use of the motion pictures in the first place. I have the same issues in my own business where people think they can rip off original Standard-Triumph motoring films from back in the day but in reality those archive films are now owned by BMIHT in the UK and Jaguar Archives in North America dependent on where the film originated.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 26, 2012 05:54 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
While we know piracy is a crime, I feel the majority of people
tend to accept or turn a blind eye to it,there are more serious
crimes to contend with.I'm not making a case for piracy,but when
the opportunity arises, some people will take it.The site YouTube
and many others where films & music can be downloaded seem
to be on the increase,the company known as Google made their
site maps purely on the invasion of peoples privacy,a more serious
crime than copyiing film,as it was a guide for burglars, but the Police did nothing.As for him being given a rough ride on the Forum,I honestly don't think so, as a lot of members would have taken the opportunity
if they haven't already done so,of obtaining soundtracks for their own clips.The sad fact is John, is that now with all the
techno that is available, it is possible to copy almost anything,
while I feel sorry for the individual like yourself, the big companies have brought it on themselves by making the tools
freely available.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2012 02:46 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my dvds.Just had a look at Planet of the Apes.It is so good I'd imagine it was done the way Hugh suggests-selected scenes from a dvd assembled as they are on the 200ft film.What a lot of trouble to go to! [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 13, 2012 03:27 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The seller now describes his DVD is done through that way (editing the DVD).

Hi Trevor could you now compare side by side that the DVD can be used for synchronizing with projector?

If the seller did an excellent job, I believe this is an asset for us to screen our film in better sound (or to re dub without any hassle to edit the picture).

Can you tell us please.

--------------------
Winbert

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2012 04:42 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it could be,Win.Why not get his PotA one and experiment [Wink] Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2012 06:23 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor,

Are these edited versions of the Apes movies full frame or widescreen? I know that the original DVDs were available both ways.

Also, scifitoys2011 lists the running time of the DVD at 1 hour. Is it? All five of the original Ken digests were only released on 200' reels. The combined running time would be around 35 min.

Just curious,

Chris

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2012 01:59 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bought dvd from Movie Magic Studios they were 8mm films copied to dvd. (naughty films). They are on youtube anyway. Did give you a filmy look though.

I have transferred a few of my old Laserdiscs onto dvd. Probably because they are analogue and did not have all the crap they do to dvd releases, edge enchantment, noise reduction, they do look more like watching film. Not to sell though.

Films turn red, but some of my laserdiscs are almost unplayable to laser rot. Film lasts longer though, I can at least watch a red print.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC