8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Another stupid question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another stupid question
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 11, 2012 04:13 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I correct if I believe Derann isn't around anymore? Why hasn't anyone taken over? I got the impression that some germans make new prints (or did they stop too?), but can not do stereo, only Derann could. Would it be possible to join and make new projector and prints? How much money would it take?

Clinging to the hope 8/16/35mm survives as digital cinema just ain't the same

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2012 05:43 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly you are correct. Derann ceased trading in 2011 after over 45 years of serving the collector.

I hired my first films from them on super 8 in the mid 70's, also bought my ELMO ST1200 from them, and bought my first print from the 'Hollywood and the Stars' 400ft b/w.

You can still buy new prints from a couple of dealers. The only one in the UK I can think of that release new titles is Classic Home Cinema

Classic tried to get a new projector launched around 2000 ish. Based on a Fumeo telecine machine. Sadly it never went into production. The cost at the time would have been around £2500. Classic Fumeo

I would have bought one, my Fumeo 9119 Xenon, takes 2400ft spools. And is very well made.

My projectors are:

ELMO GS1200
Fumeo 9119 Xenon
Elf/Eiki N Blue
B/H ???
Goko editor

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 11, 2012 06:26 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be the expensive parts? I mean the printboard shouldn't cost too much to do. Oh, well, it's been tried, so then it's no more life after what we have now :-(

Very sad indeed

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2012 07:44 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think the most expensive parts would have to be the chassis. Just think how much is going on when your films are transported though the mechanism from reel to reel.
1. movement
2. still in the gate
3. movement
4. then smooth movement for the sound
5. Precision
6. PRECISION again

Would need to take large spools 2400ft + Could possibly run at just 24fps, mag/opt sound stereo, just a pre-amp built-in scope bracket, digital sound would be very nice [Smile] or some means of external sync.

Add your wishes.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 11, 2012 08:12 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy with a stereo, kind to film, easy removal mid film, large spool (2 hours is nice enough) and strong lamp ...

Should we start building then? ;-)

So what happened to the equipment Derann had? Somebody buy it or scrapped? Would be awesome to be ble to pick up the pieces

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 11, 2012 09:17 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget it! The money for tooling up for a production run on a new super 8 projector would be in the tens of millions of dollar range. Even if such a projector could be produced it would cost upwards of $5,000.00. And of course, the market is miniscule, so such a project would never even get off the ground. Phil Sheard gave it his best shot, working with Fumeo, and the project was an abject failure, not one projector was sold!
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of good working projectors still around. It's just a matter of finding them!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 11, 2012 09:44 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just venting my wishes, I expect it to be difficult too. And matters worse if noone makes movies for re-printing. Sad, as cinema just isn't the same anymore. Pixels and cold picture ... Miss 35mm cinema

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC