8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig 824 sound not working

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig 824 sound not working
Luke Coiro
Junior

- posted November 14, 2012 07:35 AM      Profile for Luke Coiro   Email Luke Coiro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not getting any sound with one of my two Eumig 824 projectors. I know it's not the speaker as I swapped over the covers between the two machines and I get sound with the one that works with either cover. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2012 09:02 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one piece of advice that can be given on this point as you have already exonerated the speaker and its external speaker socket by changing the backs.
You will find the Amplifier Fuse either on the sound panel nearest to the back (in a clip mounting) or on the connection panel of the large transformer (in a plastic tube mount, the end is a bayonet fit cover).
Try a replacement of the next higher milliamp rating; if everything is OK revert to the correct rating. If it still does not work, I would ONLY recommend consulting an EXPERIENCED audio technician as these amplifiers are not only difficult to get at but are also relatively "crude" in their design and construction (although brilliant in their performance when working properly !)and are difficult to work on. Enormous damage can be inflicted by a rouge soldering iron!
I am always filled with trepidation when I have to work on one of my Eumigs, despite having over 45 years of Audio Servicing experience.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Luke Coiro
Junior

- posted November 15, 2012 03:13 PM      Profile for Luke Coiro   Email Luke Coiro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I seemed to have fixed the sound problem. All I did was removed the fuse on the board and it checked ok with a multimeter. Then played around with the record button (pushed it in and out with no film running) and adjusted the two pins on the cover that make contact with the board. Put the cover back on, ran a film and the sound is now there. Thank god it wasn't anything major like the amp failing.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 15, 2012 06:14 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Luke!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 15, 2012 08:24 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad it was something easy Luke!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 16, 2012 02:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luke
Do you mean the two spring contacts for the speaker connection?

--------------------
Maurice

Luke Coiro
Junior

- posted November 16, 2012 04:02 AM      Profile for Luke Coiro   Email Luke Coiro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the spring contacts. Don't think it was them as the cover worked when I swapped them around with my other machine. I think it had something to do with fiddling around with the record button.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 16, 2012 09:22 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the electronics on the Eumigs are extremely reliable, and I have never experienced any electronic problems in 40 years of owning many Eumig projectors. The circuit board design and construction quality is really excellent, with good spacing between components and circuit tracks, and trouble free soldering. Eumigs do not seem to suffer from cracked soldering and delamination of printed circuit boards that sometimes occur on Elmo's.
The 824 problem was almost certainly a dirty or corroded contact on the record button slider switch, which is located on the circuit board and connects to the red button via a wire cable. Just working the switch solved the problem, and a drop of switch cleaner will lubricate and clean the contacts and avoid any futher problems.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC