8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Feel so sad (not so much anymore)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feel so sad (not so much anymore)
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 19, 2012 02:11 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got my Eumig Mark-S 710D, can not get it working. When I put it in 24fps, the fan doesn't run (sometimes it makes a little movement) ... And it eats film :-/ I've tested with clear film lucklily. I am really wondering if I do something wrong, as my old Elmo ST-600 was easy to load. I put the machine in forward (no light) mode and hold the thingy in front for loading and insert movie. It goes a little while, then get stucj 99% of the time after it passes the two interchangable pressue thingies (I use the ones with S on them and assumes that is Super 8) and the N-S switch is set to S.

Any tricks one could try?

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 19, 2012 02:51 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the film gets stuck in the gate it sounds as if the claw is broken.

A broken claw is quite common on a "D" projector as a few users are not aware that the claw has to be retracted before the gate assembly is removed for a change of gauge.

It is important that the inching knob at the rear is turned by hand so that the spot is vertical (at 12 o'clock.) This retracts the claw.

Vidar. Have you recently bought the 710D, and is this the first time you have used it?

Not sure why the fan is giving trouble.

--------------------
Maurice

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 19, 2012 03:12 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, just got it today. Didn't get any movie to run at all. Is it possible o repair or do I have to throw it?

I checked on the backside, it doesn't look like the thing that puts different pressure (I assume this) on the spinner. It doesnt go all the way when setting it to 24fps

Thanks for the reply .... BTW it has taken a movie through three times now, but I dare not try on a reel, only use the header I bought

It seems to go slower on 24 and not as regular in a way. It's set to 240v, s that correct for UK and Norway? I cn see a little pin (is that the claw you mean?), should there be more than one?

Seems like reverse in 24fps doesn't work at all, but sometimes the blades run in forward 24fps

Was so looking forward to watching movies tonight

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 19, 2012 05:14 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vidar,I'm so sorry that you're having trouble with your machine.
It's not impossible to rectify, the voltage in the UK was 240v
but is now 230v,but that isn't where your trouble lies.
The Eumigs use the "ball & disc" system,where a constant whirling ball is situated between two rubber covered discs, it is brought into contact with them by the action of your forward and reverse switch.After a time, the rubber becomes smooth,and the ball fails to grip as it used to, and so a reduction in speed is noticed.This is easily sorted out by removing the back cover and giving the rubber a light rub with
a piece of sand paper,sometimes a roughing up of the ball helps
I have done this while the machine is on,and applying a needle
file to the spinning surface,but be careful,it's naughty but it
works.As for the needle in the claw,just make sure that it is
damaged.They can be replaced,it takes a bit of patience,but
I have managed to get the little brass shoe out and a replacement put back in.The real problem is getting a replacement pin.If you can get hold of an old machine to
cannibalise, that would be the option to take.Before you do any of this,I would get in touch with the seller and let them know
of the problem.Forgot to mention,there is only one claw to dual
projectors.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 19, 2012 05:30 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll try to get a picture of the claw and if you could tell me if it's broken or not. I think it might be okay, looks fairly long, if longer, I think it would mean more movement of the claw.

I'll try the cleaning, but if I put it in reverse, the motor doesn't seem to do anything ... Not, sure, but thanks for the tip (I had it in mind after asking about belts) ... Appreciate the time, thanks again

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2012 06:12 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have also gotten Eumigs that have had a piece of film broken of in the film track somewhere (often in the sound head) and it obviously obstructs the path for running film through. It seems like sometimes I get a projector and it's just a plug and go thing and then other times I've spent hours and hours figuring out what's wrong with it.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 19, 2012 06:29 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks ... The advice was helpful, but it still ate a little piece of movie ... But 24fps seem to run better, will do a sandpaper tomorrow

Getting further anyway, tomorrow want to check the whole path and add some long headers to a movie and see if I can get it running.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 01:53 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar. Just double check you have the correct drive sprockets and gates in for the film gauge you are showing.

Super 8mm or Standard 8mm (regular)

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 05:23 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should be correct, the sprockets connected fits the holes on the film perfectly, the others doesn't. Gates says S on the side and from what I got from reading, that was Super 8

It does pull thrugh some times now, it's better after making the rubber plates suffer a little :-/

Soon will try a little again, check the film path for debris, broken film pieces or whatever.

Thanks again for advices

Update:
I've done the sand paper and it now appears 24fps is ok. The films do still get stuck (I've run through four or five reels okay, the only once in a while ... As soon as it's done loading onto the take up reel, it's running fine, but there's something with the loading. I couldn't get a picture of the claw, but I believe it's okay and intact.

Picture here : http://pokeysoft.no/movies/8mm/stuck%20here.jpg

[ November 20, 2012, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Vidar Olavesen ]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 03:06 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Vidar,don't forget it's dark grey for std 8mm & light
blue for S/8,it's an easy oversight to make.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 20, 2012 03:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar,

Are you trimming the end of the leader?

Sometimes a wrong trim will hang up on something and cause a little train wreck inside the machine!

The Eumig trim is a flat end with both corners snipped off at an angle.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 03:25 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes, done that. It seems I gotten some luck. I opened the front cover and sanded and cleaned a rubber pressure wheel. After I did that, it has now worked 10-12 times in a row and tested sound, which is working too. Looking better :-)

Thanks for all tips

[ November 20, 2012, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Vidar Olavesen ]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 05:34 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Vidar, it looks like you've got it "sussed out",that's a good bit
of advice from Steve about trimming your film for threading up.
On the old Mark S machines which I love,they are semi auto and
require a nice 90 degree cut,some projectors liked the corners
trimmed,some have a slight curve. Whatever,a little bit of trial and error and this problem will be surmounted.I'm pleased that your
purchase hasn't been a total disaster and things are working out.
Have fun.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 20, 2012 05:52 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think so now ... I will test some more tomorrow, but after running a couple of movies through about 15 times now and no problem, it seems ok. The sandpaper was the thing making it run more normally and after doing a clean on the rubber pressure wheel under the sound thingy, it seems better

Again, appreciate the tips and thank you all

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC