8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Aliens secured!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aliens secured!
Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2012 10:44 AM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys! I have an LPP print of Aliens full feature on it's way! I originally bought it from steven last month but due to the unexpected move had to postpone payment, i paid this week and i am exited about receiving it! He is mounting it onto 600' reels for me.

My sankyo 702 has arrived as well, lovely projector, in as new condition and very gentle to the film! [Smile]

I am looking forward to having Aliens on super-8. Now to hunt for Alien [Wink]

Am looking forward to receiving it!

Jacob

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 21, 2012 11:01 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Green with envy :-)

Can I ask how much you had to pay?

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2012 12:00 PM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
around £400 will be the final cost if customs charge me the fees, i paid £359 in total for the film itself.

Now when ive saved up a bit I need to add Alien full feature to my arsenal, it would be nice to have 'the set' : - ) Even a non LPP print of Alien would be fine for me! This one of aliens is in good condition with no fade as it is on LPP stock, a derann print. I am soo exited!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 21, 2012 01:23 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I also ask who you buy from? Noone I asked has Alien, not even the 400' (I really want this, as well as the two second parts of Star Wars/Empire)

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 22, 2012 07:43 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jake - as an 'Alien' fan, you might like to know if you don't already that there are Super 8 trailers from all 4 films to track down, although they all appeared on different reels with other trailers. And Phil Sheard of CHC recently told me that he hopes to release a trailer for 'Prometheus', so anyone that wants one might like to encourage him by expressing demand for it.

Vidar - The 'Alien' 400' is fairly common and not difficult to find, but due to one going for a crazy price on eBay not very long ago, some people might try to get an excessively high sum for one!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 22, 2012 09:39 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Alien Scope feature is pretty rare. I have not seen one in almost 8 years. The last one sold for around $1000 and that was collector to collector a few months back. No EBay. Alien should be easy to find. They made a lot of those.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 22, 2012 09:54 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet no one here has it for sale :-(

It's okay, will try later, as now money is quite low (bought four projectors (2 toys though) and about 50-60 films in two weeks. Gotta kill my want for more for this month :-)

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2012 05:03 PM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aliens full feature i got lucky, i have a 400' digest of Alien i bought from Pasquale DAlessio.

Alien as a full feature I will set my sights on come january! A shame the other two do not exist on super 8 as full features i would love to collect them all!

I cannot wait to receive it and screen it! Many friends who are fans of the Alien series are marvelling that i have it on REAL film, as close to the camera originals as it is possible to get! And want to see it...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2012 03:42 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alien 3 wasn't really in the same league but Alien Resurrection I thought was excellent.

Funny how back in the day Alien and Aliens were going second hand for as low as £120 and now they're worth so much more. Just as well I purchased two prints of each when they were available new.

I did put on an Alien Super 8 show at a BFCC years ago which had extracts from both features and all 4 trailers. The Ken Films extracts (200ft and 400ft) are all faded now and only really worth purchasing to see how well the 400ft was done and for the fabulous clamshell box.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 06:47 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first reaction when seeing Alien 3 was disappointment, but after viewing it a few more times, it really is nice and dark ... I've come to love it, but not in the league of Alien, which I find the best, the suspense is really intense and Aliens, which is a nice shooter in space, but lack some of the suspense for me.

So, Aliens is only in full feature on 8mm? No digest?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 07:17 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vidar, no unfortunately "Aliens" was only available as a feature
5x600.A shame as it would've made a nice 400' clip or even a
600' cutdown.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2012 07:23 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes...things change quickly. About four years or so ago I bought my Alien feature ..used, but mint in original box....for $235 .

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 23, 2012 09:22 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That I would surely pay for it ... 900, not so sure :-/

If I get loads of money after the initial startup craze, I'll see if I can find one too. Alien is one of my all time favorites

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2012 07:07 PM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It arrived today, i loved screening this! I am so happy with this!

It was worth every penny! Now to keep my eyes peeled for more prints!

I am going to have a group screening of this sometime soon... i dont think i could watch the DVD of this again!

Jacob

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 09, 2012 11:10 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations if you got a really good print! Derann were selling this right from the release on 8mm until the end of the UK lab, so I expect the master showed some signs of wear by the end. So, if yours looks pristine throughout, that's a bonus. Incidentally, on one reel the sound on one channel has some background 'noise' for about the first 9 mins. If you hear this, don't worry it's on the sound master so all prints are the same. Most people won't notice it as the 'noise' isn't very loud and it can be easily mistaken for sounds that ought to be there!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah the sharpness and all that is pristine, on the first reel the colour is a little 'warm' but it really added to the feel of the movie. It did not have the distinct 'cool' cast seen on some later ones. It has some occasional wear and the faintest lines that appear for a second or so throughout the print, only on reels 1 and 2 it is a well-used one, but this is only in a couple of snippets and the clarity is superb! I loved the skin tones and how it just looks 'real' something the DVD, blu-ray and VHS never had. It looks like it was struck from a good negative.

I will be looking for other features, mark my words! Aliens, all analog! It just is so lifelike! 10/10!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2012 02:01 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congradulations Jake!

I bought my print from Derran around 1991, and its still my favorite print! This movie absolutely works better on the home movie screen, than on any digital source.

Enjoy!

James.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2012 02:33 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aliens is far from being the best quality ever issued on Super 8. It's good but it isn't great. I have a first run print and one from much later. The later one does show some negative wear and damage but the print quality is almost as good as the first run print.

So the good news is there are better quality Super 8 releases out there. If you're impressed by Aliens try finding a feature print of Predator or Commando. Those two titles are like very good 16mm prints.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 12, 2012 02:57 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
A stunner of a print is "The Fearless Vampire Killers",very in keeping for this time of year,and in 'scope.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2012 01:51 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jake I know how you feel geting your print of Aliens. Wow sounds great I would really envy you if I did not have my FORBBIDEN PLANET feature with its killer color that is also very life like. I got a Alien 400 print that looks great as well keep looking Vidar you'll find one. I like digest I wish Aliens was a 400 reel. Here some screen shots from both films.  -

-
 -

-  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 13, 2012 03:01 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! That FP print is awesome [Eek!]

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2012 04:55 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alien 3 always gets bad press, have a look at Finchers cut (not the studio hatchet job) Of interest I was at Pinewood studios in the office of the Alien 3 (when it was still known as Alien III )Production Manager when the call came in that a reletively unknown director, David Fincher, was going to direct. Whilst there I managed to get Sigourney Weaver to sign two postcards of her in character as Ripley, one syas 'To Mark, live dangerously' the other says, 'To Mark, all best wishes' and of course both signed by this excellent actress.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 13, 2012 01:13 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Aliens 3 has a unique atmosphere. It's different in tone and texture from the other films, I feel. I've always liked it.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2012 05:22 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Vidar here is a link to a print 400 reel of ALIEN http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121038086553&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 14, 2012 10:18 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must get round to seeing Fincher's cut of 'Alien 3' but I think the fundamental problem is that it's such a depressing film that even fans of the series can hardly bear to watch it. 'Aliens' is one of my all-time favourite films and '3' does in a sense inadvertently trample on it by making the monumental achievement of escaping the planet alive of no benefit whatsoever to anyone in either film!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC