8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best Format For Cut-Downs? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Best Format For Cut-Downs?
Jeff Missinne
Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2012 11:23 PM      Profile for Jeff Missinne   Email Jeff Missinne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the length of a cut-down is less important than how well it was edited. Castle's 200' (400' in 16mm) ROCKET AND ROLL with Abbott and Costello took a mediocre feature (A & C Go To Mars) and turned it into a fast and funny short, eliminating the sub-plots and making use of all the best gags. [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2012 10:42 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Jeff. Some 200'ers (especially the Castle films titles) were edited superbly for only about 170' or so. It's just a damned shame that when Universal assumed sole ownership of Castle the quality of their 400'ers, for the most part, was crap. Obviously the same editing crew that did the Castle catalog wasn't the crew churning out the 400'ers later on for U-8. Most of them are incoherent and the scenes are put together like an extended trailer that runs for 17 minutes. I have them all (save for a few) and I don't love any of them. I just have them because there's nostalgic memories connected to them.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 19, 2012 11:47 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to disagree there Brad,take for example "High Plains
Drifter",the Castle release was bad,legend has it that Eastwood
saw it and wouldn't let them put his films on S/8.The U8 edit
was a coherent job that explained the film perfectly, and a really
top notch print. U8s realease of the "Invisible Man" was a nicely
edited cutdown with again exemplary picture quality.The majority of the Castle films were usually well done,but not all.
That isn't to say U8s releases were all great,but films like "Jaws",
"The Hindenberg","Charlie Varrick" were streets in front of stuff
like "Nude Bomb" and the"Incredible Shrinking Woman"

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2012 05:15 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A&C MEET DR.JEKYLL & MR. HYDE 200 foot version is another great cut-down, since there were only about 10 minutes of worthwhile footage in the full picture. Most of the A&C 200 footers are disappointing since they focused on the chase scenes, which was not the essence of A&C.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2012 06:50 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on what I know of it, I would say that the Universal 8 400'er of THEM MUMMY'S TOMB is pretty much perfect. Helps that the movie was only an hour to begin with. Wish they'd expanded MAN MADE MONSTER similarly.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC