8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film Cleaning Can Damage Film (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film Cleaning Can Damage Film
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2013 11:13 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio, 2.22 was a film cleaner made by Kanus Chemicals UK. Long out of production though.

I have some films that were treated with it over 15 years ago and you can still feel the lubricating effect.

DCR Films used to treat all his new films with it. Another gentleman no longer with us. Name bye the way Dave West.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2013 11:23 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is going to sound strange and may open up a whole new can of worms...but here goes. One example. I loaned a print of Charlie Chan at Treasure Island to someone. Before mailing it, I did not clean it..BUT I did clean it the last time it was out of the can..the last time I showed it. It was clean when it went in. Well, when this fellow , who also is a film expert, returned it, he also included a cloth...realy dirty cloth. He had cleaned the film before showing it and it had , over several years, gotten dirty INSIDE the can. The can has some air holes. Evidently there was enough dirt in the air ..and possibly some electrical differences that may have attracted the dirt in. AND I know it was cleaned very well before going into the can. How the dirt got into the winds of the film, I don't know. To verify, I took another film that had been stored for over two years....cleaned before it's last showing....(yes, the pageants were clean)....and sure enough...
LOTs of dirt came off in the cleaning again. not big particles, but blackish stuff...AND no...we don't smoke..so it's not that.
so....I've learned....I'm going to clean before showing films...especially before showing to audiences.
The end.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 17, 2013 12:18 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they don't Laksmi,I speak from bitter experience.
2.22 ( TWO TWENTY TWO) was a liquid film cleaner/lubricant
that actually "did what it said on the tin",it was manufactured by Kanus Chemicals,who also made other products, and was very
similar to Thermofilm when it was manufactured by Gemini, in
the days before the global warming gang started their antics, and
interfered in the chemical formula used.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 17, 2013 12:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will say that it is possible to damage a film with film cleaner if ....

The emulsion layers are very brittle. However, if they are very brittle, even taking a cloth rag will end up causing the film to "flake" and if the print is that close to expiration, best leave it "uncleaned" and enjoy it for a s long as possible.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 17, 2013 12:51 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is emulsion shed Osi,best to have it come off on a rag
than in the projector where it will scratch your film.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 17, 2013 01:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very true, Hugh! It's one of the few annoyances with projection. You film clean a film, then project it, forgetting that perhaps the projector isn't as clean as the film, but boy, now your film print isn't clean all over again! (rrrr!) Nice bit of posts!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC