8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » WD40 - Yes Or No? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: WD40 - Yes Or No?
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 28, 2013 03:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems a divergence of opinion if WD40 should be used inside your projector. The general consensus is that the answer is no. Obviously there is not one product which will do it all.

Many alternatives have been suggested, but these are on sale in the US.

Can anyone say what suitable lubricants are available in the UK?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 28, 2013 04:55 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just use a couple of drops "three and one" oil on the bronze bushes/bearings that the "main shaft" runs on, three and one is a light oil, has been around a long time and its "good stuff"... buy it anywhere.

Cant remember the grease, but Richard has mentioned that on another topic, so that would be the type of grease to use.

Graham

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 28, 2013 06:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was specifically enquiring into what suitable products are available in the UK.

--------------------
Maurice

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2013 06:32 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way! It is the worst lubricant to use. 99% of the things people use WD40 for are things it was never designed for! You'll do more damage long term. As for bronze bearings, I'd say avoid oiling. These are impregnated normally with oil and don't need other lubricants which just block up the pores where the lubricant impregnated should be able to move through. Again, more harm than good!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 28, 2013 08:15 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An elderly relative of mine thinks anything can be fixed with WD-40!

-when we start tasting it in her cooking, we'll need to find her a nursing home...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 28, 2013 09:02 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WD40 is primarily a degreasing solvent, NOT a lubricant. It has no place in projector lubrication. Spraying silicone lubricant , or spraying ANY lubricant, inside a projector is a bad idea.
I very rarely, if ever, have to lubricate my Eumig projectors. They seem to be 100% self lubricating. My Elmo GS1200'S are another matter. They seem to need periodic lubrication (about once a year in my case)to keep them running smoothly. I use Molybdenum grease for the shuttle cam and cam follower, a little lithium grease on the plastic gears, and a a couple of drops of thin instrument oil on the main shaft bronze bearings and solenoid linkages.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2013 11:02 AM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Material Safety Data Sheet
WD 40
Theres more check it out

http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-wd482671453.pdf
This is just some of it

Emergency Overview:
DANGER! Flammable aerosol. Contents under pressure. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. If swallowed, may be aspirated and cause lung damage. May cause eye irritation. Avoid eye contact. Use with adequate ventilation. Keep away from heat, sparks and all other sources of ignition.
Symptoms of Overexposure:
Inhalation: High concentrations may cause nasal and respiratory irritation and central nervous system effects such as headache, dizziness and nausea. Intentional abuse may be harmful or fatal.
Skin Contact: Prolonged and/or repeated contact may produce mild irritation and defatting with possible dermatitis.
Eye Contact: Contact may be irritating to eyes. May cause redness and tearing.
Ingestion: This product has low oral toxicity. Swallowing may cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. This product is an aspiration hazard. If swallowed, can enter the lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis, severe lung damage and death.
Chronic Effects: None expected.
Medical Conditions Aggravated by Exposure: Preexisting eye, skin and respiratory conditions may be aggravated by exposure.
Suspected Cancer Agent:
Yes No X Avoid eye contact. Use with adequate ventilation. Keep away from heat, sparks and all other sources of ignition
3 - Composition/Information on Ingredients

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 28, 2013 01:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Paul on this ...

If the "lubricant" you are using is not specifically designed for projector's AND specifically for your specific model, DO NOT use it on your projector.

Another factor to point out ...

What lubricant you use on your projector will, to a greater or lesser degree, be transfered to your film prints.

Think about that.

If you would never use it on your film prints, then why should you, for a moment, think about using it on your projector?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2013 01:16 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Maurice
Super lube
Been using this for years

Grainger Europe - Grainger Industrial Supply

Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease,3 Oz.

Item # 44N719

Synthetic Multi-Purpose GreaseProduct Head Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease, 3 oz.NLGI Grade 2, Color Translucent White

Synthetic Oil,7mL

Grainger Item #: 44N749

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2013 02:07 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, one of the former members of this site was recommending WD40 for lubricating film; this was long after someone had pointed out that WD40 will damage colour prints.

As Bell & Howell no longer manufacture projector oil, and watch and clock oil is too expensive, I think Graham gave the best answer in using 3 in 1 oil. I am only thinking of using this in the old projectors with the wooden blimp case; modern B&H shouldn't need it according to the instruction manual.

For others, use sparingly and wipe off any excess.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 28, 2013 02:48 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I return to my original question.
What suitable lubricants are available in the UK?

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2013 03:38 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tetchy. There does not seem to be a specific lubrication. Graham has already given what I think is the best answer. Most other oils are too thick. I shall buy a tin on my next shopping trip.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2013 03:45 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice
Did you read my last post

Synthetic Oil,7mL

Grainger Item #: 44N749
Super lube oil pen

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 28, 2013 03:47 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use 3 in 1 oil for easy spots and WD40 for tougher to get at spots or tough parts that are frozen and won't turn. But, I use it sparingly. I have done so for years with no problems at all. I have also use gun oil when I didn't have any other. [Wink]

PatD

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2013 03:59 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
3 in 1 is made by the same company of WD 40
Composition/Information on Ingredients
Ingredient
CAS #
Weight Percent
Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic Oil
64742-52-5
>97
Naphtha, petroleum
64742-47-8
<2
Non-Hazardous Ingredients
Mixture
Heres the MSDA infor
http://www.3inone.com/files/pdf/msds-3in58412697.pdf

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 28, 2013 08:01 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I only speak from experience, I'm not saying WD40 is the answer
to everything, but I did have a Eumig projector that used to emit an ear splitting scream from it's motor after a time showing film.
I gave it a little squirt of WD when it was cold, on the "ball" pillar,
since then it has not uttered a squeak, and shows film as quietly as it should. WD is I think a lubricant, Pet. Ether & Methylated Spirit I would term as degreasers. Some folks were using this stuff as a film lube at one time, and it is greasy to the touch.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 28, 2013 09:52 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must thank everyone for their very helpful replies. I also apologise for not being more clear with my original question. I was not referring to oil, it was grease which I should have said.

I use 3-IN-ONE oil for my Bell & Howell blimp model and sewing machine oil in the reservoir in my Elmo 16-A. Between these products most jobs of general lubrication can be met for drive shafts and the like.

However, as most members know, when old projectors are purchased from eBay it is the gears which can give problems due the old grease having dried up through possible years of non-use. I have heard of some such grease having to be chipped off the gears with a small screwdriver. Such dried grease can cause trouble with the motor being slowed down, and even in some cases with the motor being unable to drive the projector at all.

I wish to particularly thank Richard C. Patchett for his very useful suggestions, unfortunately the Grainger products which he recommends do not appear to be available in the UK. A search with Google has not revealed any UK sellers. I attach a link to items available in the UK from 3-IN-ONE and would kindly ask if he, and other members, could suggest what products are suitable for re-applying to the gears of projectors.

http://www.3-in-one.co.uk/products/

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 28, 2013 10:05 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I would suggest that anything that appertained to use has long gone, the chemicals that really cleaned, lubed or
"done what it said on the tin" are long gone, you now have through the EU, a legislation banning the chemicals that actually
done the job, hence the recent carry on with Dettol.That's why our
washing powders don't clean as well as they used to.My point
being, that the chemicals that did the job, are now banned, so
the weedkillers don't kill, the disinfectants don't work, and your whites
don't shine anymore, unless you have a boiler.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2013 10:20 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice
Heres a contact for you

Europe
Grainger brings its expertise in distribution to Europe to help customers quickly and easily locate the broad range of products they need to maintain their facilities.

Export Services
Grainger provides a full-service package through export services to customers located outside North America. Our sales representatives are dedicated to serving customers in every geographic region, worldwide.

Effective January 1, 2011, Grainger is conducting business under INCOTERMS® 2010 rules.

Heres a contact for Grainger

Perry Willemse 31 6101 84022 Perry.willemse@grainger.com United Kingdom (Newcastle & North)

Tim O'Connor 1-847-647-5740 tim.oconnor@grainger.com United Kingdom (South of Newcastle)

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 28, 2013 10:28 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, it says it all, we in the UK jump to the rules of the EU
we are a powerless nation bound by euro politicos, unelected
that make the laws, eg; what chemicals we can use.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 29, 2013 12:41 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using white lithium grease when needed for years. I used it sparingly as a little goes a long way and never had any problems. [Smile]

PatD

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 29, 2013 08:40 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Pat's recommendation for Lithium grease on gears. Lithium grease is a non-petro based grease and it will not damege nylon or plastic gears.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2013 08:48 AM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
The white lithium grease
Reminds me of Noxzema's trademark cobalt-blue jar has been a favorite with consumers for nearly a century. Known for its skin-relief properties, [Big Grin] consumers have found many uses

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 29, 2013 08:59 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried Gordon Ogborne, Maurice, he carries all the spares
for Bell & Howell.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2013 09:32 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just been looking at Singer Sewing Machine Oil; not expensive, so maybe I should get this. I wasn't sure that it was still being made as Electronic sewing machines were taking over in the 60s. I inherited a Singer 96 years old.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC