8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Standard 8mm or Regular8 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Standard 8mm or Regular8
Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2013 05:59 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't collect very many commercial films, I like to shoot and project home movies. I shoot both Regular 8mm and Super 8 but I prefer Regular 8mm. I think both the cameras and projectors are a lot more fun to work with. There are so many more varieties in the designs of Regular 8mm cameras and projectors than there are for Super 8. In my opinion Super 8 cameras and projectors are mostly plastic boxes that were made in a few factories in Japan to very similar specifications. I know, some are much better than others but they lack the variety in basic design that there was with Regular 8mm.

My 8mm projectors include a Bolex M8, Bolex 18-5 and a Keystone K109D. My Bolex cameras include a H8 Rex 4, H8 (non-reflex), C8, B8, B8L, D8L, P1, P2 and K2. I also have a Nizo Helomatic and a Sekonic Dualmatic. They're made of metal and leather and built to last.

|  IP: Logged

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2013 06:22 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I love standard 8mm. I love the super high quality, all metal, standard 8mm projectors and cameras made by Bolex and Bell & Howell. I love double run 8mm camera film.
I think a good case can be made that super 8mm was unnecessary, and that it added nothing that would not have been achieved with standard 8mm. Fairchild already had a double 8mm magnetic sound camera in 1963! Certainly super 8 was a step backward in terms of the plastic Kodak cartridge - far inferior to the double run 8mm film which utilised precision metal camera gates. What were Kodak thinking?
When all the super 8 plastic projectors and cameras have fallen by the wayside, the 8mm metal cameras and projectors will still be running like new."
I have transferred Reg 8, Super 8, and 16mm films for almost thirty years and have seen probably a couple million feet of film. Regular 8 has its own share of problems: complete rolls fogged by not loading in darkness, rolls inadvertently double exposed, footage jittery due to not threading correctly, etc. Even regular 8 magazines have the annoying characteristic of a different frame line for almost every roll. Too much frame area was wasted by using the 16mm perforations. The super 8 frame has 50% more area which certainly, all thing equal, yields a finer grained, sharper image. I agree that the super 8 silent and sound cartridges were poorly designed, leading to potential jams and unsteady footage. However, the super 8 frame used the 8mm width much more effectively.

--------------------
John Hermes

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 03:57 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Joe, Single 8 is the same as super 8 ,different cartridge,
Standard 8mm in the UK is Regular 8 in the US.
I think Single 8 was Fuji.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 05:30 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it also called double 8 in the UK and the US or only in one of both countries ?

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 06:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK we had "8mm Double Run", and "25ft double eight, 50 ft 8mm after processing".

Reference: Wallace Heaton 1954 catalogue Cine Apparatus.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 08:21 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Maurice, you mean that in the UK double 8 does not reffer (or is not commonly used to reffer) to the gauge itself but on the shooting "double exposure" system ?

--------------------
Dominique

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 08:32 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
To put it simply Dominique, the std 8mm 25' was a double 8 roll,
for cine shooting, once split, was std 8mm for projection, although
the gauge was usually referred as std 8.Remember,the film had
to be turned over in cine shooting, thus the "double 8 " name, as
the film was then split & joined to make up the normal 50' spool.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 13, 2013 08:36 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love filming with Super-8, as a matter of fact I'm editing a new film this week.

-but I would have been happier if Kodak had gone with something more like the Fuji Single-8 system. It does eveything the kodapak cartridge does plus rewinding for double exposures and allow a metal pressure plate to hold the film in steadier focus.

-plus it's just simpler.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 09:18 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That is so true Sreve, Single 8 gave the properties of std 8 to s/8,
and the single 8 cameras like the Fuji PI & 2 fit into a pocket.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 10:43 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Hugh. I know the double 8 camera system as my first projector and camera were in this gauge (I received them in the early eighties when I was a kid from people who had turned into super 8). I was wondering if in English "double 8" refers only to the shooting system, like when you talk about double super 8 or if double 8 is also (like in French) used to refer to the gauge (double 8 camera, a double 8 film, a double 8 projector for examples).

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 10:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak's standard 8 25' roll was, in fact, 16mm in width, (with double the number of perforations.) It was exposed down one side width and at the end the spools were changed over for the remaining 25' to be exposed.

With the actual film being 16mm wide it could be processed on 16mm developing machines.

After being processed it was slit down the middle and the two halves joined to make 50' of film which was returned to the user in the good old yellow box.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 12:57 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I'm aware Dominique, the "double 8" bit is only for raw stock, as double S/8 or quad s/8, as would be used by labs in
printing film.As Maurice correctly stated, it was a 25' strip of
film re-punched for amateur use.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 01:50 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Just for information, I see that both of you, Maurice and Hugh are using past tense about the double 8 shooting. But there is still filmstock for this gauge and the system has not changed, so I think we can use the present. Who could had forseen in 1965 or in 1985 that there would still be double 8 stock in 2013 ?

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 02:04 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not implying that standard 8 is no longer available. My comments refer to its original introduction in answer to previous questions.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 02:08 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good. In English it has probably a different effect than it would have been in French. [Smile] The most important is that gauge, too is still alive and seems to attract some interest.

--------------------
Dominique

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 02:15 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Very true Dominique, but look at 9.5, this little film gauge is still
tickling along after all these years, a credit to the users all these
years hence.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 02:20 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shoot in 9,5 at the beginning of July, the preceding time was in June. I didn't bring my camera on holiday only for technical reasons (the security checkings in Israel are strict and they can open your gun looking camera which of course ruins your film).

--------------------
Dominique

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 02:43 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Dominique, it's good to know that folks like yourself
still use a film gauge like 9.5. Makes you wonder if the digital stuff
will last as long.I've said it before, and I'll say it again, use this
stuff now, enjoy it, get your fun out of it, tomorrow is an eternity
away.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 02:47 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're so right, Hugh.

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 04:34 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the great joys of Standard 8mm is being able to use cameras like this:

-

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Erik Snel
Junior

- posted November 18, 2013 03:05 PM      Profile for Erik Snel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i love standard 8 as well as super 8, i even have 16mm and a few 9,5 mm films. i own more than enough projectors to use with those films (135 to be exact yes i know i collect stuff [Smile] , and 87 of them are build by eumig.

a footnote, the difference between super and single 8 was not only the cartridge, super 8 was made of cellulose acetate and single 8 of polyeste. this made it stronger so the film could be thinner and the reels in the cartridge smaller.

standard 8 is called in holland dubbel 8 (double 8) or just 8mm and super 8 just super 8 [Smile]

--------------------
Erik Snel Eumig Expert
ES Filmtechniek

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 18, 2013 04:43 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In French, it is also called double 8. It seems from what what written on this forum that standard 8 or regular 8 (following if you are in the US or in the UK) refers to the gauge and that double 8 reffers only to the camera film system.

--------------------
Dominique

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2013 06:51 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Maurice, does this mean that every roll of std 8mm has a splice after 25ft?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 19, 2013 02:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, John, it has, although I am not sure what size spool the Bolex H8 camera used.

--------------------
Maurice

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2013 03:26 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I collect silents in the R8 format, features preferrably [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC