8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Fixed Selector Switch Knob for Eumig S 810D (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fixed Selector Switch Knob for Eumig S 810D
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 24, 2013 01:59 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The selector knob was not in good shape when I bought this machine. The plastic that grips the switch is cracked and just slips when turning. I had it working for awhile...but now it won't turn at all.

Does anyone have this part you can sell me...or have an idea of how to repair the knob I have? I'm thinking this knob may also be compatible with other Eumig models.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 07:27 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice -- The selector knob on my 810D is not lined up correctly. In the stop position it is actually in play.
Does the knob just pull off? I would like to correct the setting
but was reluctant to pull. It feels ok, just wrong position.
Hope you find a knob. Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 07:34 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the knob just pulls off. Cracking of these knobs is a universal problem. Eumig re-inforced some of the knobs with a spring metal band , but even then they still seem to crack.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 07:51 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan

Epoxy the crack and it will work fine. Also, if you have and Ace Hardware near you they have the clips. I have fixed a couple this way.

PatD [Wink]

[ August 25, 2013, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Pasquale DAlessio ]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 24, 2013 08:16 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat...I do see that the other knobs have metal clips. I don't have Ave Hardware here...but if you can give me a specific name and size of the clip you bought, I might be able to located a similiar one locally.

--------------------
Janice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 08:31 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll check it out and if Ace here still has them I will get one and send it to you.

PatD

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 24, 2013 08:40 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh ACE not AVE. We have ACE Hardware here. If you can get me the part description...I can probably pick one up here.

--------------------
Janice

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 08:41 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does it have the splines or the half moon?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 24, 2013 09:31 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Splines

--------------------
Janice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 25, 2013 03:04 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan

They are in the dept that has all the small parts in drawers. I think it was called a mini hose clamp or tubing clamp.

Pat

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 03:30 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice, I have fixed one of these knobs by binding it tightly with garden wire, Good Luck. MIKE

Mike McCord
Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 10:58 AM      Profile for Mike McCord   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 60's, when I repaired TV's, knobs were always breaking. We used a 2 part product to repair them. Remove the knob and locate all the broken pieces you can find. Clean the shaft and apply just a slight coating of oil (3 in 1, etc) wipe the oil off just leaving a thin-thin coating on the shaft. Make sure you can insert the knob onto the shaft, and know where the pointer should point. Mix the powder and liquid as directed. Apply this thick paste all over the shaft - including getting some inside the shaft hole. Molding the stuff with your finger, press the knob fully onto the shaft - watching to make sure the paste does not ooze out and attach to any unwanted area and make sure it is not disturbed for at least half an hour...(longer is better). You have a short time to get this done. After drying, the knob will be removable because of the thin layer of oil on the shaft.

And, I found the stuff!
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/RAWN-35105-/20-1090

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 28, 2013 12:32 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great ideas guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

@Mike McCord...That product looks great. I think I found something like it with a demonstration video http://www.plast-aid.com/. This might be useful for repairing or molding parts for projectors.

@Pat...Is this what you used?

-

[ August 28, 2013, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 08:14 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan

This is what I used. It just fit. If I remember correctly I bent the ends over with small needle nose pliers.

PatD

-

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 29, 2013 10:07 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks perfect Pat...but without a link I'm back to square one. Did you get the photo from a place that sells them? I've searched for hose clamps and tubing clamps, but nothing looks even close to that.

I temporarily tightly wrapped some string around the knob. It's working for now...but the clamp would be a much better solution.

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 29, 2013 10:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that part!

They are very commonly used in cars for low pressure hose connections like windshield washer fluid and the coolant overflow hose that comes out from under the radiator cap.

I'm betting an auto parts store can help too. Very commonly they have a section called "help" which is all sorts of useful bits and bobs (screws, clips, knobs, etc.) that get lost and broken. Otherwise look where the larger hose clamps are and maybe they'll be there.

I just bought a new car...I don't get to mess around with this stuff anymore!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 30, 2013 09:35 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve. I did notice the watermark on the photo said autobahn [Smile] I will check it out when I get back from L.A.

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 13, 2013 02:07 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally found several of these types of clips on Ebay. They are called "Spring Action Hose Clamps". I have to measure the knob to determine the correct size to get.

Update:
This is what I bought. I'll let you know how it worked when I get a chance to install it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121141208927?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

[ September 17, 2013, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 01, 2013 05:22 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I repaired the selector switch knob with the little hose clamp that Pat recommended. It worked like a champ. If your projector has a similar issue as mine... this is a very easy fix.

Here's briefly how I did it.

Here is what the clamp looks like. I bought it from from the vendor on eBay I referenced in the post above.

-

I then removed all the front knobs and the front cover plate.

-

I reinserted the main selector switch knob back through the hole in the cover plate. Using pliers to pinch the tangs on the clamp, I fit the clamp over the end of the cracked knob.

-

I replaced the front cover plate...lining the knob up with the switch.

-

...then pressed the knob back onto the switch.

-

The tangs on the clamp did not have to be bent or removed. They did not get in the way of the funtionality of the switch and the front cover can still be removed for any future repairs.

--------------------
Janice

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2013 06:44 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo Janice! [Cool]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 03, 2013 09:24 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that the knobs on the Eumig 800's are not always truly interchangeable between machines. The knob from my old Eumig S802 ends up rotated 90 degrees 'out of phase' when I push it onto my Eumig 820 Sonomatic.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 09:31 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Janice, another success.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 03, 2013 12:12 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have found that the knobs on the Eumig 800's are not always truly interchangeable between machines. The knob from my old Eumig S802 ends up rotated 90 degrees 'out of phase' when I push it onto my Eumig 820 Sonomatic.
That is helpful to know Paul.

--------------------
Janice

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2013 12:32 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, as lovely as all these fixes are, and, no doubt, more permanent, if you pull out the control knob, tightly wrap electrician's tape around the cracked shaft, then push it back in, it will work for months.

[Smile]

Love those Eumigs. [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 03, 2013 02:11 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob...I had wrapped mine tightly with string and yes like your electrical tape it worked...but this is so much better [Cool]

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC