8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann at the End (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Derann at the End
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 04, 2013 05:16 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, when I started into 9.5mm film collecting in the 1950's I had to restrict myself to a little hand cranked Pathe Ace projector and a few 60ft shorts. A 'Real projector' like the Pathescope GEM, was totally out of reach for me. As for sound films forget it, the Pathe Son projector was six weeks wages and the sound feature films cost the earth. People who could buy a 16mm sound projector in that period must have been very well off indeed.
So it always has been an expensive hobby. But I think a good argument can be made that film collecting, particularly Super 8 film collecting, is now more affordable than it has ever been.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 05, 2013 03:20 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark. A few weeks back now there was a box of 8mm sound films including some features at £3 a reel on our local market. I resisted buying in the hope some younger blood would buy this bargain lot and get into the hobby locally.

Paul. The purchase tax rate in the 50’s here in the UK was astronomical I’m told after the war making many goods a no go area for prospective customers. In today’s money a Pathescope Son sound projector would be about £2000 as a rough guide and not such a desirable projector as far a reliability goes.

Re new releases I’m hoping that one day Barry at Ind 8 who is notably enthusiastic about super 8 may himself release a new super 8 trailer or perhaps short via his web site, or perhaps pose the question will anyone commit to such a project. I also miss Perry’s who had its own lab and if a film was not in stock you would be told over the phone when they where next printing that title.

Tom. It doesnt have to be an expensive hobby if we cut our cloth accordingly. The trouble starts when we exceed what we should be spending on goodies that perhaps we should have passed over. 99.9% of films for instance are second or 30th hand by now and although a title may be desirable it extremely likely they actual film will have seen some misuse reducing its value greatly. That’s my guiding rod anyway.
Happy days and stock up on the pies for winter!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 05, 2013 03:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom made some very interesting comments.

Derann's habit of sending out their list at the end of the week and making us all 'phone at 9am on Mondays (if we could get through.)

The inflated prices on eBay. The buyers who pay these prices may not be aware of our reasonably priced dealers. Those who bid appear to be willing to go to any price just so that they get an item. But it might not be worth it.

Just as there is Alcoholics Anonymous, so there should be an Association for over the top eBay buyers.

--------------------
Maurice

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2013 04:18 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your correct about ebay biding, I just don't understand the prices people pay.

One of my other hobbies is 00 model railways, some stuff sells for more than the new price from some other dealers.

Still miss Derann.

Had a happy hour last Saturday though, was in Cleethorpes. Guess where? Its a kind of paradise. Model railways in the front, and in the backroom FILM and more FILMS.

Phil told me he has some new releases due soon. One at the lab now. a Pathe Pictorial newsreel with the opening of the ABC Cinema in Sheffield 1962/63. I will properly buy this title.

[ September 05, 2013, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: David Ollerearnshaw ]

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2013 05:10 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I started collecting super8 in the early 70s it took me 7 weeks just to buy a feature from the Mountain catalogue. I could only afford to put £5 away each week, I also wanted to shoot my own films as well.

After a long break I got back into cine and currently only collect 16mm. Dominique is right about it being an expensive hobby, especially for someone on a low income. I bought a roll of Wittnerchrome 16mm reversal, which is actually Fuji stock, after paying tax, postage, and processing, it cost me about £100 for 4 minutes of film at 16 f.p.s.

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2013 05:37 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tom. I'm in the hobby on a budget. Yep I've lots of films, inc features and not one of them is exceptionally mint. I'm happy to buy a film even if the colour has shifted because it will be sold cheap but it means I have a copy on celluloid. We know that DVDs and Blu Rays copies of film titles are produced in their millions yet super 8, even in its heyday, print runs were no more than a few thousand, I understand that the biggest print run was for star wars 400' col/snd at around 20k prints worldwide (please amend if I am wrong) Therefore there perhaps is say only a few hundred prints left of this version, so even owning a colour shifted copy means we are actively doing what we sometimes forget in our hobby, that is archiving film..celluloid. As such we are not hobbyists but archivists protecting celluloid in all its formats and variants.
So I say not be aghast if you cannot justify the expenditure on a mint super 8 feature but celebrate the fact that the £5 you paid for the 400' Superman with colour shift is just as important!
Cheers to all you fellow archivists of film.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 05, 2013 06:07 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting to read what people feel on the price thing. Mind you its a bit like the British scooter scene where some will pay 8K for a 50 year old scooter with a smart paint job which looks pretty but under the covers its a wreck. [Eek!]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 05, 2013 09:40 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have a classic car I've mothballed (for now) to keep the budget but I've always been able to enjoy collecting films averaging about what I spend every month getting coffee at work!

You spend wisely, and you learn to appreciate what you have more. Here and there you splurge a little.

I haven't bought a print since June. It seems to me that the pickings have been pretty poor these last few weeks. Anyone else?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 05, 2013 04:38 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do of course agree that our hobby, like, any is what you make it. Between my Brother and i we do have quite a reasonable sized collection and 90% were purchased second hand, oddly enough we have returned more prints as faulty when we purchased new than our second ones. We have budgets and as has already been said we can and must purchase within our limits, unfortunatly the price of new releases now will always be out of my reach apart from shorts and trailers, having said that do i really want to invest £20-£30 for two minutes of film entertainment, Captain America looks amazing and the reviews are very good but again, as much as i want a copy i really cannot justify over £200,(please correct me if i am wrong on the price) for just 30 minuits of a movie especially when you think what you can buy on the lists of perrys,indi,P Foster and CHC. I saved Deranns last list on my PC and read through it tonight, why did i not buy a lot more than i did?
We are going to try very hard to attend Ealing this year but we are wondering, with Derann no longer around and Paul Foster no longer in attendance at thes venues what will it be like,
We'v had an expensive year so far with two visits to guys hospital, money we were keeping for Ealing, with it possibly being the last it will be interesting to meet so many of you especially with so many from over seas, now this takes me nicely onto what we talked about earlier, is it a rich persons hobby??? well, if these were held outside the UK i for one most certainly wouldnt be able to even think about attending unless the venue happened to be somewhere we were going on holidays,
but bearing in mind we are now into 2013 and super 8 films are still being released it just goes to show how wrong so many people were in recent years about the staying power of 8mm, i think Derek will be very pleased as he looks down,or up [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 05, 2013 05:15 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The absence of Derann has not detracted at all from the BFCC, I can confirm, and Paul is always there, though he doesn't have a stall.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC