8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New on board.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New on board.
Chris Gavin
Junior

- posted September 05, 2013 11:14 AM      Profile for Chris Gavin   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Gavin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I decided to join this forum today, because several times my searches for obscure 8mm & 16mm related stuff have ended up bringing me here. So I'd firstly like to thank everyone who has taken time to post and share useful information here... ever.

I've been using Super 8 for some of my own projects spanning over many years now, and here's a link to the '8mm' page on my website where some of my films and thoughts about cameras, processing and DIY film-making etc. can be found...
http://www.chrisgavin.com/p/8mm.html

At the moment I'm messing about with home processing (BW negative film) and continually fiddling about with various digitizing experiments too.

I hope from time to time to have some things to add to the discussions and maybe get to ask a few questions too...

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 05, 2013 12:17 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the Forum Chris.
You will find many new friends here who are always willing to help and assist.

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 05, 2013 12:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the best to you! This is a wonderful source of great info on all things celluloid related.

OZ

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 05, 2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome !

--------------------
Dominique

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2013 01:14 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Chris, looks like you will have a lot to offer us as well. I notice you do animation; I have a friend whose son works for Aardman Animations, and was involved in the making of 'Chicken Run'

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2013 01:31 PM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris. Welcome to the forum. I'm very interested in your experimental use of super 8 plus processing. I have just completed my Masters degree using super 8 and caffenol processing. Have a look at my installation here using 4 super 8 sound projectors etchttps://vimeo.com/68362023

I'd be interested to know your 'receipe' for Caffenol. I have had good success with K40 resulting in a yellow negative (reversed digitally etc)

And regarding your wall of death please explain your production process, what did you edit on etc. I love the film moving with multiple movement within the frames. Outstanding and well done.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 05, 2013 04:26 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris, any questions on shorts and original boxes, turn to me, Shorty - Cheers

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2013 04:29 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome aboard Chris! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 05, 2013 11:17 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great website Chris. Being an editor myself I truly appreciate such excellent work of yours. So glad you have decided to join us...and WELCOME!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2013 11:41 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really great stuff Chris, just BTW, what sort of cost is it to get the film digitised by that service in Germany?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 06, 2013 01:07 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, on your page, you mention only Kodak and by reading it one could think that there are no longer reversal super 8 at all, which is not the cas as other makes still make them.

--------------------
Dominique

Chris Gavin
Junior

- posted September 06, 2013 06:17 AM      Profile for Chris Gavin   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Gavin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. Thanks for the nice welcome here...

A few questions have come up in response to my first post, so I'll try to help out as follows.

For the Caffenol film processing I've been doing, I've been using the 'Caffenol C-M' recipe published by Reinhold. The link to that recipe and more details here... http://caffenol.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/caffenol-c-m-recipe.html , but basically, the developer is made like this...
1. 1 litre water
2. 100 ml washing-soda or 54 gramms
3. 16 ml vitamin-C or 16 gramms
4. 160 ml coffee or 40 gramms
As I say, I've only been using this for BW negative film, but I've heard that other kinds of film (even reversal and colour films) might be processed this way (giving BW neg. results probably).
My 'Wall of Death' film was processed at home (in short lengths) with this Caffenol C-M recipe, and also DIY digitized (in various ways)... The film strips were flatbed scanned, the full-frame clips were frame by frame digitized with a stepper motor/DSLR macro arrangement.
I'm still working on better digitizing methods.

On my website I only mention Kodak colour reversal films, because in recent years that's all I've been using...
I made my 'Enfield' film with Kodak 100D.
Other reversals are indeed available, but these seem to be from the more niche suppliers and somewhat more expensive too...
But yes, I will revise the text on my site to reflect the other possibilities and perhaps I'll try them one day.
I do plan to try colour neg soon, because I've seen some great results from others using it. I've bought some Kodak Vision 3 200T colour negative recently, but am yet to try it out.

For my home processing experiments I'm using Argenti brand BW neg. film. (I believe this a Super 8 packaging of APX100 film.)
This is relatively cheap to buy (from http://18frames.co.uk) and the ability to process it easily at home makes it pretty much the cheapest Super 8 option available. The film is processed just like stills film at room temperature and the chemicals (especially if using Caffenol) are cheap and not as nasty as those needed for reversal and colour films.

For film scanning to data, apart from my DIY efforts, I've used a couple of services over the last few years. Uppsala Bildtecknik in Sweden is good. http://www.uppsalabildteknik.com/english/ (They use the Flashcan HD), but lately I've been sending my films to http://18-frames.com in Germany (using the Muller scanner.) This service offers full HD and options for post-processing to stabilize and de-grain footage too. This is how I got the look for my 'Enfield' film.
They currently quote E12.50/50 foot roll for a 1080P scan to files. The full price list is on their site.

Hope this all helps, thanks everyone again for your interest.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2013 07:57 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had never heard of 18frames.co.uk before, a well kept secret. I have seen a few videos on Youtube of film copied with a flat bed scanner rather than telecine. The results are very good, perhaps in a few years the ability to properly copy your films at home will be available to everyone.
I used to process Ilford FP4 regularly, but i'm not a fan of home cine processing, what I have seen on the internet looks more like a student art project, or something you might expect to receive if your film was 30 years past its sell by date. I had thought thought about buying a tank, but the results I have seen so far put me off.
Here is one example, although it may not be typical.
http://vimeo.com/10148082

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 06, 2013 07:25 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!!! [Eek!]

PatD

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 07, 2013 06:18 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A warm welcome! As you're a London member, I hope you'll be able to say hello in person to some of us at the BFCC on 26 October.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC