8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » scratch removal/film lube - furniture polish

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: scratch removal/film lube - furniture polish
Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2013 10:36 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi Breathwaite, in a previous forum post a while back mentioned a film company that used to sell lemon scented furniture polish as a scratch remover. Nobody commented on this further, but I found the idea somewhat interesting.

I just purchased some of Brad's Film Guard cleaner, but am always interested in DIY fixes that you can pick up from the local hardware store or brew up in a bottle at home. I found one of the finest gun cleaners/penetrating oils is a product that you can make yourself from ordinary stuff, and have been on a kick to do the same in other realms.

It seems that these spray furniture cleaners like lemon pledge (I assume that is the one Laksmi was thinking about) might actually work pretty good in this regard - they have a solvent that cleans, and some residual wax that is left behind. In this case, from what he was saying, the wax fills in the scratches rather nicely, and hides them more or less. I imagine it would also lube the film as it goes though the mechanism too.

has anyone else tried this stuff he was mentioning? What are favorite film cleaners/lubes that people use? I'm excited to get the Film Guard, regardless of what else comes up, I think it will do some good to many of my prints, most of which are old cartoons/educational films, with a number of old family movies too.

|  IP: Logged

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2013 11:20 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with any 'homebrew' cleaner is that you don't know what it will do to the films 5, 10 or 20+ years down the track.

It might work great now, but have reduced your films to a messy goo in 10 years.

I'm all for home concoctions though, but I wouldn't put them on any films I wanted to keep for decades.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2013 11:56 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I share the same vision...

--------------------
Maurizio

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2013 12:10 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I third the opinion. So try the homebrew on something you don't care much about, date and label it up, and see what you have in 5-10 years.

Meanwhile, enjoy your FilmGuard. The results aren't permanent, but the scratch-fill and lubrication properties are amazing. And there's no risk to the print.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 18, 2013 12:22 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't take any risk neither.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC