8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kinay 8/16 viewer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kinay 8/16 viewer
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2013 03:55 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with this editor. It is supposed to accomodate both 8 & 16mm film but it appears to be set up for Std8 and I see no way of changing the format to 16mm even though the manual states it can. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331096066916?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 31, 2013 07:12 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry...as far as I know...the Muray 816 is not a dual editor. The model number is misleading.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2014 05:04 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice
I think you must be right. Although the manual does state that it is possible to change the format to 16mm. Perhaps it was possible to purchase an accessory to enable that?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 01, 2014 06:27 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry
Have a look at this old eBay item and see what is says about use for 16mm.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Muray-Kinay-816-8mm-Cine-Film-Editor-Standard-8mm-Film-Editior-viewer-/111063168511

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2014 09:31 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, my copy of the Cine Year Book 1963 says in the Muray Kinay 816 listing on page 131 "8 or 16mm. Dual size by means of interchangeable block...Price with one block was £12-12s. Extra block £4-4s." I have never seen one with the 16mm block so I suspect that most 16mm users bought the Muray Luxe with the retractable screen.

--------------------
Paul.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2014 12:39 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice and Paul
I guess that answers my question. After looking at it the 'block' they refer to is the brown coloured unit which contains the film transport mech and is fitted with an 8mm sprocket. So the whole unit would have to be removed and a 16mm unit fitted in its place. Shame its not included. That would have made it quite unique.

Rui Luis
Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2014 07:46 AM      Profile for Rui Luis   Author's Homepage   Email Rui Luis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002306

John Shuttleworth
Junior

- posted December 30, 2014 09:07 AM      Profile for John Shuttleworth   Email John Shuttleworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my father's Muray Kinay 816 viewer and he purchased the 16mm replacement block mechanism which I also have in its original box; price marked as previously quoted, although he paid half that price to the shop!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC