8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Jumpy Video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jumpy Video
John Selph
Junior

- posted February 03, 2014 12:22 PM      Profile for John Selph   Email John Selph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Chinon Sound 9000 that has recently come down with a case of the "jumpys". Closer inspection indicates less than normal upper loop and nonexistant lower loop. Does anyone have a manual for this projector, or suggestions on solving this problem? Film path has been cleaned.
Thanks,
John

--------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx -

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 03, 2014 04:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jumpy video [Roll Eyes] ...its film. Your best bet is to get rid of the Chinon...they were never very good and considered by many to be junky in there day.

Best bet get a nice Elmo [Cool]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 03, 2014 04:46 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sell it to me. Problem solved! [Big Grin]

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2014 07:09 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Graham. Next to GAF super 8 sound projectors, Chinon are a close second in lousy machines. They're terrible on film.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

John Selph
Junior

- posted February 07, 2014 09:03 AM      Profile for John Selph   Email John Selph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, replacing the projector is not an option at this time, and I need to finish transferring 2300' of film to digital. I guess I should try reverse winding the film and clean and lube, before anything else.
John

--------------------
- Groucho Marx -

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 07, 2014 10:10 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the projector is an auto-thread, make sure that your leader is perfect, also ensure that the leader's "curl" is just right. It sounds that the film is not being taken up correctly.

I feel sure that Chinons are misrepresented as regards film damage, I have never had such trouble with my Chinon projectors.

--------------------
Maurice

John Selph
Junior

- posted February 07, 2014 05:47 PM      Profile for John Selph   Email John Selph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, It seems like the upper loop is small, but can be adjusted and stays, but as soon as you switch to lamp on, it gets noisy and jumpy. I checked and the bottom loop is non-existant. If I reach in with a small plastic rod and pull the lower loop into position, the projection is fine. I have tried with both old and new leader with the same results. It's got me baffled, especially since I have no manual for this machine to check clean and lube points.
John

--------------------
- Groucho Marx -

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 08, 2014 01:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John
It sounds as if the mechanical connections are not lined up correctly.
Oldtimer Cameras, here in the UK, can supply both the Instruction Book which probably won't help you, and the Service Manual, which no doubt will.
http://www.oldtimercameras.com/stock/Model.asp?Model=2585&ModelPage=true

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC