8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Gone With the Wind screenshots (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Gone With the Wind screenshots
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 14, 2014 12:47 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea, Winbert. I think that would be of immense interest to other collectors.

Osi?

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 14, 2014 12:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good idea, but I can't get to it now, way too much going on at the moment, but good idea Winbert.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 14, 2014 01:20 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask how you managed to clean the print while recoring it with the method you used?

If you have just the one 600ft reel, how did you actually project the print?

To be honest, Osi, I'm not the only one who feels you're being very evasive about this whole thing.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 14, 2014 01:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh, I don't see how I'm being evasive.

The cleaning part of it is using one of those film cleaning cloths that Steve Osbourne supplies and as I am re-coring it, simply having the film run through the cloth, treated with my film cleaner. Not that hard to do.

I mean, what do I have to do, invite everybody over to my bloody house for a proper inquisition?

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 14, 2014 01:47 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not that hard to do.
But...and this is kinda the point, with the set-up you have described, it IS hard to do.

You, yourself said, a few posts back, when asked how you did it...

quote:
VERY difficult!
How did you screen it using just a cored film and one 600ft reel?

Listen, you must admit this - the whole method you're describing is a bit hard to fathom and I'm not the only one who doesn't understand it. So, your acting as if we're all just not understanding some simple concept which you've gone out of your way to describe in detail is a bit hard to comprehend.

Speaking for myself, personally, I understand the actual physical set-up you describe but I really don't understand how it can work. This is why I'm persisting with my questions - I feel as if I'm missing something.

Many collectors have come up with some pretty novel techniques over the years and have been happy to describe them and answer any questions, so I'm not sure why you're so exasperated by all this. Inquisition?? - a little OTT, don't you think?

All I'm doing is asking for clarification.

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 05:08 PM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I'm afraid I think it is completely out of the question that it is possible to put a film back on cores using the method you describe, in such a way that it is tight enough to handle.

I thought your story sounded rather dubious from the start, and it certainly hasn't become more credible. I'm afraid I'm less of a diplomat than Michael... I don't believe you've ever tried to put a film on cores and I also don't believe you screened that film before you put it on Ebay.

I think it is time to come clean on this.

But you know what? If you take up Winbert's suggestion and post a video of the action, I will eat my words and I will owe you a humble apology.

Alternatively, I could send you a 600 foot reel with film and a core, and if you send me back the same film on the core, you can keep the reel.

This might all sound a bit harsh, but I think misleading people when selling a film a very serious. You have spun quite an incredible story around the sale of an expensive title and I think this is undermining people's trust in buying film. You've had quite a bit of time to convince us that all was well, but so far you have not exactly succeeded.

Come on Osi, trust me, I would really prefer to be proven wrong!

- Rob

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 14, 2014 06:14 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, I am not trying to be a judge here, but these are the facts I have dealt with:

1. I have once bought 2 x 1200' super 8mm film from Osi (from Ebay, under his old ID toac2001) and it was on core. So super 8mm on core does exist.

2. Upon my inspection on my "technicolor" cartridge, the method Osi says below:

quote:
what I use as a "platter" is the middle section of an old Technicolor cartridge "wheel" (I'll call it a wheel). It's that middle section that the film actually sat upon.

I took this and attached it to a 12 by 12 inch half inch thick plank of wood, enameled (by me) and this is what I place the core on and wind or unwind the film on. It is attached like a wheel to the board. I also attached a slight "knob" to the top of the wheel so that way, while I unwind off of it to the 600ft reel, I am able to rewind back onto it and then, very carefully, I re-tape the core, (with non permanent sticking tape, that's important, as you don't want a "gooey" edge on the film from something like, oh, duct tape).

is possible, but you must use your hand and slowly rewind the film. It will take so long to finish a 600' reel.

3. Mike is asking "How did you screen it using just a cored film and one 600ft reel?",...yeah that is impossible. But If Osi has a 1200' or 800' reel that is not a problem, right? This thread does not show that Osi does not have ones.

@ Osi, the only way to prove you are not wrong is to show a video of your method, by then, everyone who is curios with your method can be satisfied. Even if a video is not possible for this moment, just take a photo snap of your method above.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 15, 2014 12:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm tired of being called a liar.

I didn't even have to mention how I core and re-core films in the first place. Just because others don't have the ability to do so, doesn't make it impossible.

I have dealt with people, some on this forum, some others some quite prominent that are quick to find fault, but are far from being innocent themselves, (when I have been innocent), and I have never even thought of going after them or calling them a liar publicly, though with all I have on them, (facts mind you), I could end they're "honorable" status on the forums at a heartbeat.

I would not even venture to call someone a liar without having all the facts, and I'm quite insulted.

So ... goodbye

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 15, 2014 12:52 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3. Mike is asking "How did you screen it using just a cored film and one 600ft reel?",...yeah that is impossible. But If Osi has a 1200' or 800' reel that is not a problem, right? This thread does not show that Osi does not have ones.
I think it does, Winbert.

Osi specifically says...

quote:
That's all I have right now folks, one empty 600ft reel (and 2 200ft reels, 3 200ft standard 8 reels too),...
Osi,
Instead of acting hard done by, why not just help us out by showing us the technique. Obviously, some of us are interested.
If I was in your position, I would want to go out of my way to clear up this misunderstanding.
Unfortunately, you leaving now would just leave many with the feeling that you didn't, in fact, screen that print at all before listing.
It's a simple enough thing to let us see your technique for recoring.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2014 01:06 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

" have dealt with people, some on this forum, some others some quite prominent that are quick to find fault, but are far from being innocent themselves, (when I have been innocent), and I have never even thought of going after them or calling them a liar publicly, though with all I have on them, (facts mind you), I could end they're "honorable" status on the forums at a heartbeat. "

That is quite a worrying statement.

Care to elaborate?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 15, 2014 01:16 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a huge blow up over nothing. I understand the screenshot concerns but the scrutiny given to "core-gate" is ridiculous.

I think the benefits of continuing this are outweighed by the vitriolic direction this is heading.

This thread is closed for now.

[ February 15, 2014, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC