8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Gone With the Wind screenshots (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Gone With the Wind screenshots
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 12:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually going to try my FLIP video camera (that's what I use to do my music videos (720p and marvelous!), and I'm going to try what Vidar was suggesting on the next ebay listing I do with screenshots. Hey, if it works, then great.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 04:41 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

The bottom line here is, for that kinda money, people would want to see shots from the print they're bidding on. The seller says in the auction listing that he screened the print. It's on cores, the shots are from another print. For potential bidders outside this forum, alarm bells will ring.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 07:09 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I understand where you are talking.

But I am more a logical person where if "X is acceptable and Y is part of X then Y is also acceptable". In science it is called "logic"

So in this case, say that Osi takes a screen shot/scan from 35mm print (easy to google it) and like Brian Sterns says

quote:
Do what lots of other ebay sellers...
Osi uses this picture in his listing, ....we are OK with that and we will not have this thread.

However then when Osi uses a screen shot/scan from 8mm strangely we are not OK......while 8mm is actually part of 35mm.

Why is that?

Seller who uses 8mm rather than 35mm screen shot is trying to make the closest possible with his/her item. Using 35mm screen shot is actually much more misleading.

Many people consider something is not correct if it is much closer to the reality....e.g when we see a painting with much closer to a photo shot (realism art)..they say that is not a painting...not collectible!.... [Big Grin]

Did you see where am I talking... [Big Grin]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 10, 2014 08:55 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind this post! I will reply on the "Core" thread. [Smile]
Good luck with the sale. Osi!
Its really a beautiful print.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 11, 2014 12:30 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think a digital photo means that much. I could easily take a photo of a near to red print and change it to "look" like its stunning Technicolor. There are heaps of options with digital photos to change the look if you wanted to.

I think its best if you know the person that is selling it and is one you can trust to give an honest description of the print he has owned and watched.

My tupence worth

Graham. [Smile]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 11, 2014 02:07 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're a pretty crappy guy if you manipulate the pictures and would soon (in a closed group like this), be someone that would get remarks if trying to sell again

Not that digital photos do full justice to a print by far in any way

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2014 05:26 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, since you screened this print, did you "core" it? Do you still have the original reels and/or boxes? Thanks....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 11, 2014 12:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital photos can also make a print look worse than it is. I doubt very much anyone on this forum would manipulate a photo to sell, however in your e-bay world that many of "not me" deal in can be easily done.

Prints do vary in quality as with screen shots, that's why in my book, its more down to the honesty of the seller than any photo.

In the past when I did sell films locally, I would set up the projector and insist the buyer watch the film he wants to buy.

That way there is no later come back on me. Also I have sold films with the assistance, not to send me any money until they have watched it, and are fully satisfied, if not, just send it back....no problem.

Graham. [Smile]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 11, 2014 12:51 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Osi, since you screened this print, did you "core" it? Do you still have the original reels and/or boxes? Thanks....

Yes, I was wondering this also.
Osi?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 11, 2014 01:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this case I got it cored, but just to show my determination to sell something proper, I actually had to "uncore" each and every reel with my one empty 600ft reel, just to test each reel and make sure it was in prime condition.

That's all I have right now folks, one empty 600ft reel (and 2 200ft reels, 3 200ft standard 8 reels too), and then I re-cored the whole film tightly.

I must say, I was stunned by the color and image quality of this film. I really didn't pay attention to the story, as I was always pointing out to the wife, (much to her chagrin, as she loves this film), Look at those flowers honey, look at ect ect"

We had to do this over a four day period, mind you.

"Fiddle Dee Dee"!

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 11, 2014 04:50 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Sorry to have to ask again but I think you missed my query above. I am interested in a Super 8 split reel. Can I ask where you got yours?

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2014 05:35 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Osi was implying that he does not have a split reel..

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2014 06:38 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, thanks for your reply....

[ February 11, 2014, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Joe Taffis ]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 12, 2014 12:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What split reel? I don't get it?

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 12, 2014 12:38 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, now I don't get it.

How did you view a cored, feature length film using just one 600ft reel, Osi? Even more puzzling, to me at any rate, is how the blazes did you recore them tightly when all you had at your disposal was one 600ft reel?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 12, 2014 01:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VERY difficult! I un-core it, winding it onto that 600ft reel, view it, then clean it and re-core it, which is why it took some danged long to view the whole film, days actually.

The thing is, I really feel that I have to do that, as, what if one part of the feature has a lab defect and I don't view that reel, and then some unsuspecting buyer gets a defective reel?

I know I wouldn't like it. [Frown]

Does anyone have any freakin reels for cheap? I really need some danged reels!

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 12, 2014 01:39 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I un-core it, winding it onto that 600ft reel, view it, then clean it and re-core it, which is why it took some danged long to view the whole film, days actually.
I'm probably missing something. Did you use hand-rewinds or motorized rewinds?
How did you get it back tightly onto the core, not to mention cleaning it at the same time?
I would've thought a split-reel was essential.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 12, 2014 07:06 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did you use hand-rewinds or motorized rewinds?
Mike, I think that is not really hard if we do a little trick.

Below is my video. The film is not on a reel. So I just tape it (cross between the film):

-

....and rewinding it with a projector:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtgzxI4ssUI

quote:
How did you get it back tightly onto the core,
..and I am wondering too how Osi can put back onto the core...

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 13, 2014 12:41 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Winbert, but I'm more interested in Osi's reply. It's... fascinating.

quote:
..and I am wondering too how Osi can put back onto the core...

Exactly...

Osi...?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 13, 2014 12:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I think I see where your going Micheal. I hand rewound it. It didn't take too long to actually do so and I trust that more than using a motorized rewind, as, sometimes, depending on the speed of the rewind, film can be treated in a rather unkind way. Now, this "Wind" print is on polyester, but I once used motorized rewinding on a brand new acetate print from Germany, and it snapped the damned film!

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 13, 2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hand rewound it.
Thanks, Osi, though I'm not sure you're understanding exactly why I'm puzzled. I suppose I'm just not making myself clear enough, though I think that as a longtime collector, you should be able to see why myself, and a few others, appear to find it hard to understand exactly what you did to get the film back tightly on the cores. As I said before, it seems like an impossible task without a split reel for support.

How did you support the cores on the rewinds?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 13, 2014 01:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what I use as a "platter" is the middle section of an old Technicolor cartridge "wheel" (I'll call it a wheel). It's that middle section that the film actually sat upon.

I took this and attached it to a 12 by 12 inch half inch thick plank of wood, enameled (by me) and this is what I place the core on and wind or unwind the film on. It is attached like a wheel to the board. I also attached a slight "knob" to the top of the wheel so that way, while I unwind off of it to the 600ft reel, I am able to rewind back onto it and then, very carefully, I re-tape the core, (with non permanent sticking tape, that's important, as you don't want a "gooey" edge on the film from something like, oh, duct tape).

I hope that makes it a little clearer. If not, then I give up.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 13, 2014 01:21 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that one of those Technicolor cartridges in Winberts video?

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2014 05:30 PM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The plot thickens....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 13, 2014 07:28 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, as you have a good video camera, just show us how did you do that with your camera so we understand the way you put the film back onto the core without a split reel.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC