8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo Sound-700 Garbeled picture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo Sound-700 Garbeled picture
Roger J. Gronnvold
Junior

- posted May 01, 2014 12:41 PM      Profile for Roger J. Gronnvold   Email Roger J. Gronnvold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all. I became an member of this forum yesterday so this is my first posting here. Please do not rip of my head if this is the wrong Group [Smile]
Ok. I got an Sankyo Sound-700 from a person who where about to put it in the trash, bought a New bulb, lubricated the brass-bearings, and got New belts for it from ebay, the old one where lying around inside it, in pieces..
I switch it on and everyting looks like it Works, Light from the main bulb and instrument, shutter rotating, 18-24 Fps working, but when I try to watch an old super 8 Movie, belonging to my wife, it lokks like, well, like you try to watch a ntfc Movie on an pal tv..triple Picture and since I am lost for other Words, garbeled. it do not help to adjust speed on the pot-meter in the bottom of the Sankyo, it does not help to switch back and forth from 18 to 24 fps. The Sankyo is bought of a person living here in Norway, the Power is changed to 220V..What more can I do? is it totally broken? Any help would be highly appreciated!

Sincerely
Roger J. G.

--------------------
Regards Roger

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 01, 2014 12:53 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like the claw is not advancing the film properly. First the obvious... make sure the film IS Super 8mm and not Regular 8mm. If the film is correct check the spockets to make sure they are not damaged. Try observing the claw movement without any film.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2014 12:55 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're spot on, Janice. But let's warn this guy that if he actually has a standard 8 film, he should not insist on trying to see it on this projector, otherwise damage to sprokect will occur.

--------------------
Maurizio

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 02, 2014 03:30 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Roger. What do you mean exactly by "triple picture" ? As previousely said, make sure the film you have is super 8. The difference between super 8 and standard 8 is the size of the perforations. Usually standard 8 films are monted on reels with a small core hole while super 8 reels have a larger central hole.

--------------------
Dominique

Roger J. Gronnvold
Junior

- posted May 04, 2014 04:07 PM      Profile for Roger J. Gronnvold   Email Roger J. Gronnvold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all and sorry for late reply. Let it be known to everybody that I am a noob in this..Thought what I was trying to see was a super 8, googling says that the Sankyo can handle ordinairy 8 and super 8....hmmmm...My late father in law's projector he wathed the films on is an old Elmo K-100SM, and the films Plays just fine on that one, but not on the Sankyo..Ran the projector With no film in it, and it looks like the little arm, pulling the film in front of the lamp is doing what it is supposed to do, Guess I will have a little dimantling to do, just to be sure if the arm is ok. Thanks for all the replies [Smile] Roger

EDIT: A friend of mine witch knows the difference between these filmtypes states that this is Super 8..He also showed me Pictures on the net showing me the differences..OK, then I'll have to check the sprocket tomorrow [Smile]

--------------------
Regards Roger

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 04, 2014 04:36 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger, if you are sure your film is a super 8, it should run on your Sankyo. But be aware that the Sankyo 700 is super 8 only. The confusing "single 8" appellation refers, also to super 8, the difference between super 8 and single 8 is not on projection (the cartrige used in the cameras are different and the filmstock base is not he same, but the size of the perforations are identical. The other projector you named, the Elmo K-100SM can project super8/single8 films (like your Sankyo) but also standard 8 films (with largers perforations). A standard 8 film can be projected on the Elmo K-100SM but not on your Sankyo. That clarified (I hope), the problem may be the threading. Are you aware that you have to press with your finger the yellow moving part (on the top, close to where the film enters the gate) ? It has to be pressed manually and it depressed (if this verb is appropriate in this case) automatically when you switch the forward button one stop more. If my English is not clear enough, I am sure someone will translate it for you :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Roger J. Gronnvold
Junior

- posted May 04, 2014 04:52 PM      Profile for Roger J. Gronnvold   Email Roger J. Gronnvold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a bunch [Smile] I will plunge into this tomorrow...Have to solve this as fast as possible, out to installation soon. Your English is Perfect. There is more to this than I was prepared for..Good night [Smile]
Edit: And yes, I am aware of the yellow button [Smile]

--------------------
Regards Roger

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 04, 2014 05:03 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]

--------------------
Dominique

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2014 12:14 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Roger, always nice to see more Norwegians joining in [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC