8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film question
Martin Steen
Junior

- posted May 02, 2014 09:42 PM      Profile for Martin Steen   Email Martin Steen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just need to have a question clarified. I've recently purchased a Bolex D8L with all three lenses from a local classified for $45.00 and while I know it is 8mm, I'm a little confused on how certain 8mm films are labeled. ie. Standard 8mm, double 8mm etc.
What should I look for and can anyone recommend both a source for the film and a lab to process it. I live in Atlantic Canada. Lastly, for those in this end of N America what is an acceptable amount to pay for film and processing.
Thank you all in advance

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 02, 2014 10:20 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double 8mm means that it is a 8mm roll of film that is 25' long. But when it is developed it is actually cut down the middle to make 1 50' reel.

The cost for developing is 65.00 and takes 3 months. Even if it is color film it is done in B&W. In addition it is a positive print so it has to be transferred to DVD to be viewed.

The 90 days wait is because chemicals have to be mixed and take that long to be ready for use.

This info I just got because i found an old family film I wanted to develop. I'm sure if I made a error here some one will correct me. i do have senior moments!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 03, 2014 06:24 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pasquale, what you wrote about the cost and the delay of processing applies only to Kodachrome. Other kind of films are,cheaper and faster to process (otherwise nobody would still shoot on film !). Kodachrome needed special chemicals which are no longer available (because Kodak stopped process it), that's why it is expensive and long to process and why it is process in negative black and white. I have sources for double 8 films in Europe but I think that it is cheaper in America, so I will leave American members give some links.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2014 07:56 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify part of the original post: Regular 8, Standard 8, 2x8, Double 8 are all the same thing as described by Pasquale.

Single 8 and Super 8 are basically the same in terms of sprocket and image size even if they come in different cartridges; they both cannot be used in cameras labelled as above. So look for one of the former designations.

Usually development costs about $ 15.

--------------------
Maurizio

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 03, 2014 08:16 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I told you I had senior moments!

Jerome Sutter
Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2014 09:27 AM      Profile for Jerome Sutter   Email Jerome Sutter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy Standard 8mm @ Dwaynes Photo. Here is the form for purchase:

http://dwaynesphoto.com/common/newforms/Film_Order_Form.pdf

And here is the form for developing:

http://dwaynesphoto.com/common/newforms/Movie_Film.pdf

Good luck.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC