8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » I am very new to 8mm and could use a lot of help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am very new to 8mm and could use a lot of help!
Rachelle Tolbert
Junior

- posted July 21, 2014 10:22 PM      Profile for Rachelle Tolbert   Email Rachelle Tolbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got a Bell & Howell model 253-R at a barn sale for cheap... it still works and I thought it was pretty neat. I like early technologies and how innovative they were, so that's mainly why I got it. I then went on ebay and purchased a few 8mm films that weren't too expensive... but they're super 8 format. They are both disney (Sorcerer's Apprentice from Fantasia, and the Prince vs the Dragon from Sleeping Beauty).

I then came to realize (this is how little I know about this stuff) that super 8 reels have a different sized center hole from normal 8mm reels. SO I bought some plastic adapters that fit into the center of the super 8 reels. However, the adapters I got were way too tight when combined with the reel and the projector's spindle... what I mean is they fit perfectly inside the reel, and they slide perfectly onto the spindle without the reel, but when I fit the adapter in the reel and then try to squeeze it onto the spindle it just goes on halfway before stopping because it appears to be too tight.

Did I get the wrong ones? There only seem to be 1 type of adapters on ebay so I figured they were all universal... but if they were universal then how come it doesn't fit when the reel is put onto the spindle? [Frown]

Any help would be appreciated. The adapters I got were these ones.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 21, 2014 10:41 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum Rachelle. Unfortunately from what I can tell the B & H 253R is a Regular 8mm only projector. This means it will not play Super 8mm film. So even if you could get the reel mounted the film wouldn't feed into the projector since the sprocket holes are smaller and won't align with the motion of the claw.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Rachelle Tolbert
Junior

- posted July 21, 2014 10:44 PM      Profile for Rachelle Tolbert   Email Rachelle Tolbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! really? That is a shame [Frown] I guess I will hang onto the film I bought in case I manage to get another projector in the future... Is my model the ONE model that doesn't play super 8 or something? lol That would be my luck.

Raymond Glaser
Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2014 10:45 PM      Profile for Raymond Glaser   Email Raymond Glaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rachelle - Welcome aboard !!! - This is THE place for your new hobby, the folks here will definately steer you in the right direction ... Unfortunately, even if the adapters fit the projector spindles the films won't run on it because Standard 8mm and Super 8 films have different size sprocket holes and your projector would just chew up the films and make them unusable - You need a SUPER 8 projector to run your Super 8 films (or a DUAL projector - which will run both film formats)

Rachelle Tolbert
Junior

- posted July 21, 2014 10:57 PM      Profile for Rachelle Tolbert   Email Rachelle Tolbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well.. I guess this was a lesson that cost me a bit! haha [Frown] Luckily I did not spend more than 50 bucks on all that stuff, so it wasn't an expensive lesson. Maybe someday I can get a super 8 projector. If I do can you recommend what brands I should get? I'd be particularly interested in a sound projector.... but I probably won't be buying one any time soon.

I managed to slip the mickey mouse film reel onto the projector but the sleeping beauty one is giving me problems.

However, like you guys said the holes don't line up, so there goes that... what a bummer haha.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 21, 2014 11:10 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Rachelle. As said before you will not be able to project Super 8 films with a standard 8 projector but you didn't loose anything buying the projector and the films : you can still purchase standard 8 films and, later a Super 8 (or a dual gauge, but then be sure it is standard 8/super 8 and ot single 8/super 8 one) projector.

--------------------
Dominique

Raymond Glaser
Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2014 11:19 PM      Profile for Raymond Glaser   Email Raymond Glaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique is right --- Single 8 is just another name for Super 8 - Single 8 is NOT the same as Standard 8mm

Rachelle Tolbert
Junior

- posted July 21, 2014 11:21 PM      Profile for Rachelle Tolbert   Email Rachelle Tolbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well does anyone have a solution for the one reel that IS tight? In case I ever need to use those adapters in the future? Not sure why the Sorcerer's apprentice fit fine but the sleeping beauty one is so tight.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 22, 2014 02:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachelle
The following link shows a pic of the difference between the Super 8 and Regular 8mm gauges.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_8_film

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC