8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GWTW Reel to Real

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GWTW Reel to Real
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 29, 2014 01:22 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

The Orlando/Orange County History Center is currently running a 'Reel To Real' exhibit of Gone With The Wind. We saw it this morning and it is extremely interesting. Many of the actual costumes worn by Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Olivia DeHavilland, and Lesley Howard, were on display. Plus a host of artifacts such as the actual letters from David O'Selznick and George Cukor, and the actual light meter and Technicolor test card (Lilly) used by the cinematographer. Vivien Leigh's actual Oscar was also there to be seen. They also showed the screen tests of many of the big movie stars who unsuccessfully tested for the parts of Rhett and Scarlett. When you see these tests, you realize that Selznick made the right choice, and it is impossible to imagine anyone but Gable and Leigh in the principle roles.
Of local historical interest, when the film was premiered at the Astor theater in Orlando in 1939, black people were not allowed to see it. In fact blacks were not even allowed in 'white' movie theaters at all at the time. They had their own black movie theater on the other side of the railroad tracks, which only showed films months after the general release. The railroad divided the Orlando community, and blacks were expected to keep exclusively to their side of the tracks.

[ August 29, 2014, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 29, 2014 03:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as well the world has fortunately moved on since then Paul I am sure you agree.

Anyhow sounds like a great day out and glad you enjoyed it.

I would love the Derann full feature one day of this classic epic.
Do you already have it Paul?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 29, 2014 04:26 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,
No, I do not have the Derann S8 print of GWTW which I am sure is pretty rare, although I do recall Osi had one up for sale recently (without reels! [Big Grin] ).
However, I do have the blu ray, which is really stunning when projected on my home cinema screen.
My visit today to the History Center has me wanting to sit through this movie again.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 29, 2014 05:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They do come up now and again Paul, I know Ian and Phil have both had a print within the last twelve months and at relatively low prices when compared with the £600+ cost when new. At the time I had purchased too many for my budget already or else I would have purchased one of them. I am sure, as always, they will re-appear in the future if we wait long enough.

Sorry Paul but I will gracefully abstain from comment regarding the one Osi sold... more than enough already discussed on here regarding this print without me joining in l.o.l! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 29, 2014 09:17 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do however have the GWTW re-release trailer from Derann, and it is an excellent trailer with great print quality.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 29, 2014 10:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up, just other week a "Reel Images" 200 footer called "Gone With The Wind color test". Its a very full reel, so hopefully will screen it soon. If the first few feet are anything to go by, it does look like its in really good condition...should be interesting.

Graham.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2014 10:46 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a special Making of a legend: Gone With The Wind

It was available on tape, laserdisc, and now DVD. It has screen tests and many behind the scenes.

On the Ben Hur 4 disc DVD there are screen tests for Leslie Nielsen as Messala. They also considered Paul Newman for Ben Hur.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2014 04:11 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leslie Nielsen as Messala!

Surely you can't be serious.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2014 06:58 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and George Baker as Judah Ben Hur as well.

And don't call me Shirley! [Big Grin]

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2014 11:35 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is Leslie Nielsen as Messala:

Ben Hur screen test

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC