8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Day Of The Triffids

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Day Of The Triffids
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2014 02:27 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Day Of The Triffids was just sold on ebay web page The film was in Mountain boxes, but 6x400ft I have only ever seen the 4x400ft abridged version. I believe it did get a release from an American distributor complete.

If anyone here bought it could they give me some details.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2014 04:44 PM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello David I have the complete print but not in the original boxes it was released by mountain films on 6X400 reels.
But all of these prints I believe are badly faded my print has no colour left its faded to a pinky brown ?

--------------------
t.smith

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 12, 2014 09:00 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering how 'basic' the editing is, it would be good to have this full length! Even one that hasn't faded - if that applies to any - has brownish colour, so it's a title you can't expect too much from. I believe the 'scope version was only released as a 4 x 400' and not complete.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2014 10:53 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As we have said before,Mountain did release their features complete in the beginning and soon after,they sold them in the uniform cut of 4x400. So,complete prints of their features over 70 minutes are fewer and harder to find.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2014 11:34 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 4x400ft scope version and the colour is not too good even when new. It would be nice to have complete though, but thinking about it they could have cut all the lighthouse scenes, because wasn't it added after to make it longer?

--------------------

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2014 04:33 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So can someone confirm that the Scope version was only available as the cut 4 x 400' version? Don't want to be on the lookout for it if it doesn't exist!

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2014 02:16 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 99/100 certain that the cinemascopr version only exists in 4x400.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2014 04:25 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Panayotis is 99.99% correct that it was only available in 4x400ft. I would think by the time scope on super 8 became popular Mountain were more or less on the abridged versions.

I remember they did the RKO titles complete originally, later to release 4x400 versions.

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 13, 2014 06:42 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone would have difficulty compiling a definitive list of Mountain releases from this film. I recall buying some cheaply from Portland films in the 1980s, without even knowing for sure that they were from 'DOTT' until I ran them! There was a 400' version titled 'Day of the Triffids' but another 400' with different extracts with a different title. I think there was at least one 200' release with another title too. I can only presume it was a pretty big seller. I also have never seen evidence of a full length scope release, although I'm surprised they didn't release a 400' scope version.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2014 06:55 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 400ft (flat) version, Buck Labs on Fuji stock, not much colour and pink - but the grey numbers on the leader still look solid grey so would say the master was faded to pink. I never thought the colour was any good from new.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2014 02:04 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Extracts include the original 400ft version which covers the opening, Bill Mason in hospital, the attack of the security guard at Kew Gardens and some of the light house scenes, culminating with the battle with the Triffid at the lighthouse. Then a very abrubt ending with one of the infamous Mountain title cards which should basically read, "we couldn't be bothered to do a proper edit..."

I bought this new as a kid and the colour is still great; rich colours from those burning meteorites and deep blues at Kew Gardens at night. In fact, it has the best colour I've ever seen from "Triffids", including the DVD.

Then there is another 400ft, released in a generic box and called, "Blind Danger". It covers Bill Mason waking up the next day, the train crash and finding Susan, the trip to Southampton and the airoplane crash. I was lucky enough to win this in eBay last year and again, the colour is great.

Next, there is the 200ft, "Invasion of the Plant Creatures", which essentially covers the attack on the home for the blind in France.

Also in 200ft, "Destruction of the Creeping Monsters", which is the destruction of the Triffids with sea water at the lighthouse and a final couple of shots with Bill Mason from the end of the film.

The 200ft extracts I have haven't faded much, but both were always rather brownish without much colour.

I've made a nice 45-50 minute version from all of these. [Smile]

There is an elusive third 200ft extract called something like "Inferno of the Monsters", which I can only guess may be the burning of the Triffids in Spain?

This came up once on a Derann list many years back, but I missed it. [Frown]

Anyone else seen this one?

[ October 24, 2014, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 14, 2014 05:59 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you find the DVD? I searched and bought one from Greece, but it's a VHS rip and was utter crap. Any official DVD release would be welcome, tips wanted :-) Or a Super 8 feature would be even better

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2014 07:59 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this in 4X400ft black and white sound. It is a great print, nicely edited and it works well without colour. I usually show it with Derann's "Kronos", another vintage 4X400ft sci-fi classic.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2014 09:59 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Day-Of-Trif fids-DVD/dp/B00009PAWO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1413298475&sr=8-6&keywords=the+day+of+the+triffids

But personally, I wouldn't bother; it's dreadful.

There was an earlier official DVD release which was slightly better (actually BBC owned copyright at the time) which I have. It is watchable, but masked for widescreen and not anamorphic. Picture is ok, but quite soft with obviously boosted colours. The sound level varies and is even out of sync for some of the time. Pretty poor.

If only a Blu-ray version were considered, although I fear there is no decent master material left anywhere.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2014 10:50 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dvd I rented was not much better than the super 8 release sadly, and it was window boxed too.

It was available for hire in 16mm from Intercontinental Films, they were also want someone to put them our on super 8 along with about 30 other titles. Some did get released I remember.

A few months ago a 35mm trailer was on ebay and the scans from it were fantastic colour (it was Technicolor).

Kronos was the first film I hired from Derann when I first started in super 8.

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2014 11:23 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann also released a nice trailer around the late 90's, not brilliant contrast, but decent colour and a fairly long running time.

Amazing how popular this title is when it appears on eBay. I went to £65.00 for the 6 x 400ft version which David started the thread with. It sold at £67.00, but I suspect it may have gone a lot further.

I paid £40.00 for the 400ft "Blind Terror" extract last year and it had several keen bidders.

Does anyone have "Inferno" ???

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2014 02:11 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the trailer too, but mine came from Thunderbird Films it had about 4 in total.

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 14, 2014 07:36 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Rob, for the comprehensive details of the extracts.

I also have the Derann trailer release, which may have been a former Red Fox release, but mine has a distinct green bias and the contrast could be better. I also have the Thunderbird Reel (which includes Hammer trailers for 'Horror of Dracula' and 'House of Fright') and but this is a bit shorter than the Derann one, due to the master having missing footage at the start.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2014 10:28 AM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Concerning " TRIFFIDS " - At one time I owned a complete uncut black & white Letterbox sound version . I bought that from someone on eBay years ago . Currently I have the 4 - 400' Mountain Films color scope version . The color is still very nice on this print and I enjoy screening it with my flat lens - everything is stretched and adds a little humor ! [Razz]

--------------------
Dave

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2014 07:09 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just revised my previous post regarding extracts. The additional 400ft version was definitely called "Blind DANGER"!

David, I once rented the 4 x 400ft B&W version, masked for widescreen.

I was only a kid and truly enjoyed running what was almost a full feature for friends and family during the week that I had it.

As a kid it was like running a real cinema!

I seem to recall it did have a few strange edits, such as Bill Mason waking to see the destruction in the hospital...then a hand enters right of frame...CUT!

This is supposed to be a shock moment as the doctor grabs Bill Mason's shoulder, but the Mountain "editors" cut this badly.

I remember as a diligent 12 year old projectionist, moving a gentle mask across the lens at this moment to hide the hand entering frame on the right and thus compensate for the Mountain editors lapse.

Such a perfectionist!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Great news that you scope version has good colour!

Ever think of selling???

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 24, 2014 03:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, I have the 4x400ft B/W version of this. If you ever wish to revisit your youth by watching this version again,just let me know. I'll drop it your way for a weekend if you like. You only have to ask my friend. BTW:- Beaulieu spindle arrived today thanks [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC