8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo St1200HD M: No Sound (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Elmo St1200HD M: No Sound
Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2014 03:23 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Confirmed, faulty switch in the EXT SPEAKER socket.
Correct cure.... replace socket.... difficult in Canada or US.
Easiest cure.... join orange and white wires on the socket. Internal speaker will work but will not cut out when ext speaker connected, so add a small switch in one lead to the speaker so that you can do that independently.
As Steve says, it is a kludge (fudge in English). You MUST turn off internal before plugging in external.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2014 03:27 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, If i try alligator clips on the white and orange and try it, it should work??
I am going to run down and try right now if so......

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 10, 2014 03:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd solder it: something about loose wires rattling about in a metal cabinet gives me the willies!

-The shortest wire you can manage, too!

I believe "kludge" is from a Scottish expression for the outhouse! It was brought back here by US Army Air Corps mechanics fixing bombers during WW2. It kind of drifted out into the electronics industry where I first met it.

It's a good word: it gets you home, but you still need to buy a new tire once you are there!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2014 03:41 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BINGO!!!
You guys are Geniuses, and I mean that wholeheartedly. I can't thank you enough!!
What i did temporarily is used an alligator clip to short those 2 wires together and carefully put it together and tried and voila...sound, beautiful sound!!!!
I will now have to think how to proceed...whether to put a permanent wire, or get the whole ext amp jack replaced altogether.
Just to know what the problem is is such a great relief.
Incredible job men!!
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 10, 2014 03:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be great if you could find some way to exercise those contacts, ideally a DIN plug just to see if you can break some oxide and restore it as it was meant to be before this goes surgical.

Do you have any really thin styrene, like a credit card thickness? (Have any credit cards you'd like to cut up?)

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2014 04:59 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure Steve. I am more than happy to find something to cut up that might work. I wonder if a plastic fork prong would work or break off inside [Smile] . I wonder where i might find a Din plug? There are some antique and second hand shops around here, if Din plugs existed on other things outside of elmo movie projectors, i may be able to find one eventually...in the meanwhile, i like trying whatever may work!
Thanx,
Matt
PS: If there is anywhere worldwide where i can order this switch, i would do that and try to fix or have my brother help who is quite good at soldering small joints. He soldered a circuit board for one of my pinball machines once and surprised me. If anyone has one or knows who to order from...if clearing out the holes do not work...i would like to order one!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 10, 2014 05:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A plastic fork would be too brittle, and could break off. You want something thin, yet tough.

I'm thinking of a strip of old credit card (without the magnetic stripe of course). Cut it narrower than the wide slot, insert and extract it like 10 times and then try out the sound.

-it just might fix it!

My gut is telling me the wider (ground) pin is what operates this, maybe we'll find out.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 10, 2014 07:32 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Matt,

quote:
-The purple wire is chassis ground (-or will be once everything is assembled).
-The orange wire should be shorted to the purple with the Aux unplugged.
-The white wire is the return line from the speaker.

Just like in a movie when the Bomb Squad try to defuse a bomb...

"Purple, Orange, or White,...Purple, Orange, or White,... meeny mini moe... OK ORANGE....Boooooommm!" [Razz]

--------------------
Winbert

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2014 09:00 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I will try to clean this out tomorrow and report back. Family was so excited to hear sound, we just watched 5-400 foot reels back to back and now will have to call it a night!
Thanx so much fellas. Hopefully I can get this jack cleaned out and well see what we can salvage.
This was my first night playing the St1200HDM.
Initial impressions? Wow. Fantastic sound(even with this int speaker compared to the st-180 sound). Movies that had some chop seem cleared up, and much much brighter pic. Love the sound of this one, and the smell of hot bulb and mild grease fumes is heaven!!!!
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2014 03:42 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent news!

This morning I have searched on-line all my usual UK sources for a 2 pin Din socket with built-in swich.

The bad news..... plenty without switches, but none with.
Possibly Good news..... as a retired Radio and TV service Engineer I have boxes and boxes of bits (all in the usual chaos).
I'll have a good look, but it might take time, especially at this time of year.
So, do the TEMPORARY repair and enjoy the machine. I'll contact you later. If you find one from elsewhere, let me know
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2014 08:26 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good morning everyone.
Just wanted to update on the ext speaker jack. I tried this morning several times trying to see if this jack could be de-oxidized by following Steve's suggestions, unfortunately i was unsuccessful. This jack is truly fried i fear, but I am so thankful to know what the issue is, and to have a workaround.
@Martin- thanx so much for trying to source this switch for me! Much appreciated. Anything you find in future please let me know, and in the meanwhile we will use the 'jump' workaround for now. If i fix or find anything i will be sure to let you know!
I can easily live with it this way, but if i do ever re-sell I would like to make sure i fix it so the next person has no surprises. I can't see me selling it, I really love it.
There are some other small things i would like to fix on it in time but will open another thread i suppose to keep it separate.
Just a head up, I need a new sticker that shows the 24-18 fps switch, this one is gone...and also i will look at how to change the counter ticker belt as this one is gone. Not emergencies of course, just longterm future fun!
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 11, 2014 09:20 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you decide on making this a permanent kludge (There are a great many out there, they hold the World together, really...) the good thing to do would be to remove the black connection and tape over the end to insulate it. Then permanently apply the jumper to the other two points.

This leaves you with a disabled (but still repairable) ext. speaker connection. Other than that it will work as normal and if sometime down the road a speaker gets plugged in it won't overload the amp.

I have a personal stash of DIN panel connectors myself, I checked them out last night: sure enough, all unswitched!

The external speaker jack is handy if you take the show on the road and you want to have external speakers without hauling along a ton of gear. At home I'd rather use the line level signal that comes out of "Aux". There is a lot you can do to clean up this signal that is easy before you amplify it that becomes awfully messy after it is speaker power. The catch there is now you need an external amp and whatever other gear you are running the signal through first, plus the external speaker(s).

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2014 09:45 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for the additional tip Steve of disconnecting the black wire. That is good to know! I am going to show this all to my brother when i see him next to see what he wants to help me do [Smile]
He may be able to fix the switch entirely, who knows...
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC