8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST-800 - Bulb/volume - help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST-800 - Bulb/volume - help
Kelly Pimentel
Junior

- posted December 20, 2014 09:36 PM      Profile for Kelly Pimentel   Email Kelly Pimentel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I found a really old Elmo St-800 projector in my parents home with a whole lot of family films. For Christmas I wanted to surprise them by setting up the projector. First it was missing the bulb which I ordered from replacement bulbs (XENOPHOT EFP), but now I don't hear any sound. I know the speakers work because I can hear it. Did I buy the wrong bulb?

Thank you!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 20, 2014 09:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kelly,

You have the right bulb, and you probably also have the same problem my own ST-800 had when I first got it. (With any luck....)

Try this:

Unplug the power cord. Find the red recording key on the machine's right side and push and release it about ten times. Find a headphone jack and plug/unplug it into the audio jacks about ten times.

This may fix your sound.

(You know....a lot of family films never had sound, right?)

I hope your belts are OK, they often don't survive long term storage.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Kelly Pimentel
Junior

- posted December 20, 2014 10:13 PM      Profile for Kelly Pimentel   Email Kelly Pimentel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you soooo much Steve! Your amazing... it worked just like you said.
You are correct, the belt has melted. Do you know where I can purchase a replacement and what I can use to clean it off?

Thanks
kelly

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 20, 2014 11:04 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a two belt set on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELMO-S T-800-m-800-MO-Projector-2-Belt-Set-Square-OEM-Type-/181578471422?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item2a46eb97fe

Use Alcohol and lots of cotton swabs (Q-Tips) to clean the gooey mess from the old belt.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Kelly Pimentel
Junior

- posted December 20, 2014 11:12 PM      Profile for Kelly Pimentel   Email Kelly Pimentel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! I am going to buy it right now. You guys are AWESOME!

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2014 07:33 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I learned really quick.....When these belts turn to goo, the black stuff is terrible...and so...1. DO NOT WEAR ANY CLOTHES THAT YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO RUIN. The stuff gets everywhere when you are working to get it off. It would be wise to cover the work table and floor around the table with newspaper or something, because once this black goo gets on something, it is very difficult and sometimes impossible to get the black stain off. 2. This may not be a little 20 minute job. I've done a few and it can sometimes take hours. Just about the time you think you have it all, there's more...and in places you don't expect. 3. I can only speak from my experience, but the job may take more than one box of cotton swabs....and plenty of paper towels. 4. A projector repair person advised me to go to an auto parts store and buy a can of "Gumout".....to use to get the stuff cleaned off. It really did a nice job, compared to other remedies I've tried. It's designed, I take it, to go into the gas tank and clean out petroleum residues and gunk that have built up in the engine. And what you have with those gooey belts is a lot of petroleum residue.

Good luck...and don't wear white while doing the job. And don't get the black stuff in your hair.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC