8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Recycling cases & reels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recycling cases & reels
Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2015 07:35 AM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone.

I recently snagged a three reel of MGM's The Dirty Dozen- original cases and all. I was thrilled because my previous copy had vinegar, so now I can toss out the old one and watch the new vinegar free reels.

My question is- can I dispose of the old film and keep the old "infected" reels and cases? I was planning on sending the empty reels through the dishwasher and hand cleaning the old cases. Is this safe or should I just throw everything out?

|  IP: Logged

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2015 07:54 AM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I image there are differing opinions. However, I once had a couple reels and I soaked them awhile in a vinegar-soap mix and then washed them and I felt like they were fine. Although the other side of it is. Is it worth the "risk" for a few reels.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 07, 2015 01:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chad,

Are your prints Super-8? VS is kind of unusual (but not impossible) on Super-8 because most (not all) commercial prints aren't acetate based.

About 10 years ago I had a S8 feature that arrived with a vinegar smell to it and I complained to Derann. Gary told me he had never seen an S8 print with VS. It turned out it was a polyester print, so it should be immune. I'm guessing it was in a collection with some VS prints and the boxes picked up the odor.

What kind of symptoms are you seeing with your original print?

If your reels are plastic I would think a good soak in dish soap and water will do the job. A dishwasher heats the rinsewater hotter than the regular hot water and I'd worry the temperature might warp the reels.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2015 10:32 PM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info/advice guys! I may just scrap it all...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC