8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Beaulieu Take-Up Problem. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Beaulieu Take-Up Problem.
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 23, 2015 02:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I wouldn't be wanting it made out any harder steel than the original as the pin should be the part to wear first not the Ratchet Support Plates with the holes in them.

If we start placing different harder materials in here then the hole it engages with, will just become worn and elongated in no time mate.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2015 03:32 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Andrew that is my point, look at the picture's when rob gets them, the pin is the replaceable bit, how much ware has it caused the mating part. I would think if this is a part wittner keep, they are well aware of this, and will probably sell the mechanism as a complete item, or else they would be stuck with not being able to sell the other parts. I have not had this apart so its merely a stab in the dark, the exploded view is ok for knowing what goes where, but you have to get the part, physically in your hands, you find a possible better way. If the parts prove to be cheap enough, then there is no point reinventing the wheel.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2015 03:46 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, this is just brilliant support from you all, thank you.

I will try to get some detailed images up tomorrow.

Andrew, what do you reckon is the best way to contact Wittners; email or phone? It's a while since I was in touch with them, but I will see if they can provide the parts.

Paul, I think it is worth looking into what has gone wrong here with regard to perhaps making better replacement parts.

We are taking mm's. The small ratchet part seems to be made up from 3 parts, the ratchet plate plus two "prongs" which are fixed onto it. I'm not an engineer, but I reckon if I can get you guys detailed enough photos you will know how it has been made and maybe know how to make a better version!

I'm concerned as to why it has been able to come out of position and wear itself down...although maybe Beaulieu engineers didn't count on 35+ years of use!!

Pics tomorrow, and thanks again guys, you are the best!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 23, 2015 03:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No you're right Paul,I haven't needed to start looking at any of these one way clutches on these either on mine yet.Most of the mechanical parts on these have a very robust reputation. They are not known for any particular mechanical weaknesses,so this fault on Robs I suspect is quite a rare one.

I know the friction washers need replacing after years of use but this is only to be expected given that these are a "designed in" consumable wear item. The wear to these is seriously accelerated if you use your machine to clean your films with as this does put a lot of strain on both the motor and the rest of the drive chain but they should last many many years if you use the machine only as intended.

As Rob says, maybe the slippage is due to the two Ratchet Plates not being sandwiched together under the normal spring pressure as they normally would and therefore perhaps a gap for the pin to disengage has been created.

If the spring pressure has not been exerting the correct pressure on the Ratchet Plates then I suppose it would result in what Rob is currently witnessing.

We will just have to wait and see, all will become apparent I'm sure once Rob gets around to posting the photos of the parts and the wear on them.

One thing I can say for certain, is that if Wittners can and will sell these parts you can bet your bottom dollar that they won't be cheap, but at least they will be brand new originals.

Rob, I have only ever contacted Wittners by e mail and then you could submit your photographs alongside the part numbers.
They would then advise which parts (if any) they could provide you with to carry out the successful repair.

As you say Rob, no need to press the panic button just yet and start re inventing the wheel at this stage! Lol [Wink]

Incidentally, the best and by far most robust method of achieving a one way drive in engineering mechanisms, I have found are these
http://stieberclutch.com/

They come in all different sizes and they tend to outlive the bearings that are fitted on the same drive shaft.

Dependant on which way around they are fitted to the shaft, governs which rotation the unit locks or freewheels, so one unit does for either rotational requirement.

These are very very durable mechanisms indeed which also run silently in both directions unlike a traditional ratchet mechanism.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2015 04:53 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a dream, and a solution, need to see the pictures though.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 23, 2015 05:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
All good things.... Paul ha ha [Wink]

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 05:36 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some images to give you guys an idea.

First, parts 19 and 22; the ratchet in place on the first ratchet support disc.

-

Part 18; the ratchet support disc which determines position of ratchet. Note the band of wear. This isn't present on the front arm part. I don't think it is significant enough to cause a problem, but shows that slippage has occurred.

-

Part 22; the rachet removed form support and viewed from back. The slightly silver "prong" is the one which has worn down.

-

This is how it sits into part 19, viewed from the "back".

-

Finally, a side view of the ratchet; arrow showing part with wear.

-

I don't have calipers, but the width of the worn "prong" is very approx. 2mm and the depth is also about 2mm. The level of wear as compared to the front ratchet must be less than 1mm! But enough to make it unreliable.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 24, 2015 05:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Rob i am in work till 8pm but will get back to you later on this.

looks like it will be an easy repair though if i am seeing it right on my tiny phone screen.

[ March 24, 2015, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 06:58 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, when you get a chance, what is the best email address for Wittner do you think?

I'll see if they have replacement parts.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 07:52 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob, good clear pictures mate, ok, the pin provides the drive in one direction, and slip out of the hole to allow it to travel in the opposite direction. The pin is warn at an angle, which is warn so much that its longest point from the base cannot now latch at the lower part of the hole, so riding up the angle and slipping, does this sound right so far?, can you determine which way round it travels, in relation to the pin angle.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 08:45 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul, I believe the worn part is supposed to fit through the hole on part 18 all the time.

In reverse mode, this holds the pin one way, so that the ratchet itself is out of an engaged position.

In forward, the hole pushes the pin the other way so that the ratchet swings to engage position.

So it is supposed to be always protruding through and engaging with the hole on part 18, regardless of direction; just swinging one way or the other.

It has clearly been allowed to rotate around disc 18 and wear down; possibly by coming out of position during rewinding.

"The pin is warn at an angle, which is warn so much that its longest point from the base cannot now latch at the lower part of the hole, so riding up the angle and slipping"

Yep, sounds right. It just about protrudes enough, but is now worn so much as to just about catch the sides of the hole on 18, but keeps slipping.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 12:10 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob, does this just allow the rear arm to take up and allow the front arm to rewind ?, that it !!. No adjustment to take up tension, or clutches and springs. I can see there is just a hub its fixed to, and the spindle drives the toothed gear for the belt, and this clutch has the "D" shaped drive through it. Did you get any response from Wittner yet?, I wonder what the cost is going to be and what parts are included.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 12:45 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, as I understand it that is all these parts do, ie. make sure the ratchet is engaged or not engaged.

They are held under tension by part 17, which is just a spring.

Take-up tension is adjusted by adjusting part 2 in the rear of the machine; which increases or decreases the tension on spring 3.

When load is increased or decreased on the take-up spindle, it is handled by the slipping friction washers.

Unless I'm seeing this all wrong!? Which woundn't be the first time..lol... [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 02:01 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, that's how I see it mate. Looks too over engineered to do what its doing, for sure. OK here's my thoughts on this, if it was my projector and I was faced with seeing this, I would modify the driving gear first, and if space would allow fit the one way roller bearing that the GS uses in there, modify the spindle slightly, give it a plain shaft, not with the flat drive on it,( as its not needed), use the retaining circlip to hold it in place. Fixing the bearing to the gear would allow to lock in clockwise directing to take up, and free wheel to rewind. This works very well on the Elmo, yes I know the gear attached to it splits, but the bearing works faultlessly otherwise, and its doing the very same job, as this over complicated mechanism does. What you think Rob, its an alternative to what's coming at you from wittners ?. I've now measured the clutch bearing that fits the Elmo, although smaller in diameter this would fit into the existing toothed gear at the back of the beaulieu, depth is also good, would need to sleeve up the roller bearing to approx. 14mm to fit good, just the shaft bit now, will measure and get back on here. May not need to modify this shaft with the flat on after all, now will the roller take the extra torque and inertia from those big reels ?, maybe.

[ March 24, 2015, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Paul Browning ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 24, 2015 03:29 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again Rob,

If you are wanting to request original spares the website address I used to do all of my ordering and enquiring was,

Service@wittner-Kinotechnik.de

I would exhaust that avenue first if this was my machine.

There are easy ways to repair the Ratchet mechanism I think, if I am seeing it correctly, but if it were me, I would just want new exact parts to replace the worn and damaged ones with first and foremost.

Then I would have a go at carrying out a repair on what you have if the first choice isn't an option.

Finally as Paul says, fitting a "Formsprag " clutch arrangement in a modified shaft arrangement is certainly a possibility but for me, this is not a common enough fault on these projectors to justify any lack of trust in the original set up.

It just appears that at some stage the spring tension has been lost or forced back into its completely compressed state on the Ratchet Support Plates and therefore a gap has been allowed to form in between the normally sandwiched plates. This would then allow the Ratchet itself to become dislodged from its otherwise reliable location hole and travel slot in it's normally forced together, sandwiched state.

Also remember that these parts along with the others along the shaft form a dual function mechanism.

Yes it is a one way ratchet mechanism but because of the springs and friction washers etc, it is also a clutch. On any "fixed" method of drive, something has to give if the clutch becomes overloaded so as not to burn out the motor or cause damage to the inner gear mechanisms.
With this in mind, these original parts may just be the safest way to protect the rest of the mechanism in cases of the clutch being overloaded, for example film cleaning during rewinding etc etc.

Finally Rob, what is the condition of the screw 2.5 dia x10mm lg item 14 mounted to item 13, which I believe is what the ratchet engages with as it protrudes through the hole on item 18 when assembled correctly?

[ March 25, 2015, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 04:12 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Andrew, just noticed something on my beaulieu, its got the digital counter on it, LCD looks like. I thought it was like the Elmo with speedo type numbers in a line.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 24, 2015 04:20 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They are usually only fitted to the Studio models Paul (93 onwards). Could this be what you have perhaps?

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 05:05 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly no LED's or spindle's changed. I wonder how easy it is to change the VU'S for the LED'S, it just look's like a plate has been put over the meters with the holes in, just four wires to the VU'S to connect up maybe ?.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 24, 2015 05:12 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
So what model was it originally Paul? Does it still have V.U. meter (s) ???

This is mine, is it roughly the same with LED's instead of V.U's?

-

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2015 05:54 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have the vu's, slider knobs are smaller round ones, but I have LCD'S counter, maybe the original owner was upgrading it slowly, perhaps the change to the LED'S was too much at the time. I think they give a nice update to the vu's, which look a bit old hat, there more responsive too.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 24, 2015 06:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it sounds like it Paul.
So it's a Stereo model then Paul is it?

I use my Numark CM200 mixer with mine Paul so if I want, I can have LED's in use, however I just love the Old Retro V.U. meters and I am still searching for a decent 80's Pioneer class AA amp for mine when using it independently.

Part of the attraction is just those huge illuminated graceful V.U. meters Pioneer used to use. Just fantastic to an old 80's Old Romantic like me! Ha ha.

Something like this would be rather nice I suspect on the bottom tier of my projector stand:

-

[ March 25, 2015, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 25, 2015 10:01 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Let us know what you are deciding to do with this please Rob.

Brand new spares from Wittners, repair of existing parts or modification of the drive mechanism?

Also Rob, any news on part number 14 as spoken about a few posts back?

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2015 01:00 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will do; I'm going to contact Wittner but work is in the way! [Smile]

Will let you know the outcome.

Remind me about part 14??

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 25, 2015 04:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at what i wrote on march 24th 03:29 please Rob. It concerns part 14

I have to say Rob,that having looked at your photo's a few times over as well as the exploded view drawing from the manual, that if parts 14 and 21 all appear unscathed, if you just filed the worn pin flat and chambered the top edge on it again slightly,I see no reason why when re assembled correctly again with the correct spring tension re applied, why this assembly would not function perfectly well again.

If the Ratchet screw (14) protrudes through the hole on the plain ratchet plate as it should by around 6 to 9mm I am guessing, then the two pins on the actual ratchet are still in tact, only the moving pin not the pivot pin has wear to it and even then, fractions of a mm just to one side.

So long as it protrudes sufficiently to fill the curved slot to its full depth, and it appears it would, then it is doing its job in just the way it was designed to do so.

It appears to me, just from looking at the photos that once item 14 enters in between the two sandwiched ratchet plates, the entire mechanism should work as intended.

Let me know your thoughts on this Rob please and also please update me on the condition of parts 14 and 21.

On your first photo Rob, showing the Ratchet Support Plate and the Ratchet assembled together, the Ratchet Support Plate appears to be the opposite way around to the drawing as though the Ratchet itself (18) should be mounted into the plate from the opposite side. Is this correct Rob and if so, why have you photographed it with the Ratchet in the support plate the wrong way around?

[ March 26, 2015, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2015 05:10 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, the moving pin is worn in overall length AND at an angle,

So it just engages, but not enough.

It needs replacing I'm afraid.

There was some grease build up between the two ratchet supports which probably helped it slip out of place upon rewinding.

That and a gentle stretch of the spring is needed to provide a little more pressure.

Part 14 appears to be a screw which doesn't affect the ratchet or the two supports? [Confused]

All parts are the correct way around as disassembled.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC