8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Screen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Screen
Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2015 10:23 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

Can you tell me if a screen for digital projection fits super8 or 16mm projections?

Thank you very much

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 09, 2015 11:13 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on what aspect ratio your digital projector panels are Antoine.

Some of the early digital projectors did have a 4:3 panel ratio the same as a standard Super 8 or 16mm frame.

Things nowadays have moved on though and nearly all digital home cinema projectors use 16:9 shaped panels.
So in the case of the modern projectors, the answer would be no Antoine.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 09, 2015 11:50 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 16:9 screen, it's a good compromise all the way from Academy to 'Scope.

-sad though: the most impressive films are not 'Scope but 16:9, because they fill it corner to corner.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2015 12:00 PM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply. But I badly expressed!
In my question I wanted to ask if the today screens are bright enough for our projections super8 or 16mm

--------------------
Tony

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 09, 2015 01:08 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some gray colored screens specifically for video projection that may (or may not) work well with film projection, but they are still making and selling matte and beaded screens that work just fine.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 09, 2015 01:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
My screen is just the standard matte white type and both of my mainly used projectors, the Bauer and Beaulieu, fill this 10ft diagonal screen with excellent luminosity in anything but stark daylight.
Both use the A1 232 lamp.

[ July 09, 2015, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2015 01:19 PM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks much!
Find it me difficult to find today beaded screens!
I'll search on the web

--------------------
Tony

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 09, 2015 04:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have an old glass beaded 4:3 sizeable screen in my loft.
I had it before the current larger electric one but after a while I found it developed shaded grey areas where some of the glass had come off.

It wasn't a cheap screen by any means and it was from Sahara, a reputable manufacturer of screens.

All in all, I have been far happier going back to my heavy gauge matte white one again, the surface has definitely kept better over time.

In the days of the early video projectors, luminosity was an issue as my first video projector only put out 350 ansi lumens, however nowadays 2000 plus is not uncommon or expensive, so for me personally, I have not found a need for extra brightness from the screen material itself in the last 10 years or so.

The silver or grey coloured ones are meant to give a better looking black for inferior LCD projectors that have a relatively low contrast ratio therefore the grey colour gives off the illusion of better blacks and therefore more contrast than is actually possible from the projector without help.

I think this type of screen becomes less relevant with real actual film as the quality of the colour and contrast varies wildly from one print to another.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 09, 2015 07:40 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today most video projectors are far brighter than the brightest super 8 projectors such as the GS1200. I have always found a matt white screen to be superior to any other surface. With matt white you get an absolutely uniform brightness across the screen without any of the hot spots that come with directional screens such as silver or glass beaded, and the brightness is the sane wherever you sit. This is particularly important for cinemascope presentation where the viewing angle is twice that of an Academy ratio 4;3 film.
I could use a glass beaded screen for my 10 watt Pathe Baby though! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2015 08:45 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As said above, stick with matt white. A screen is one of the few things we can still get new from the shops as it were. Matt white is good for super 8, 16 and video.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 10, 2015 01:11 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a "vivid matt white" paint "any paint store can supply it"' applied by a quality roller. You can use a sheet of hardboard or in my case custom wood as your screen. The most important thing with any screen, is to have adjustable and generous black "side" and "top/bottom" masking to suit any format.

With "good black masking" the picture will look just great [Cool]

I use both film and video on that matt surface....works really well [Smile]

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2015 05:01 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for your answers!

I found this screen which seems good to me! The size is sufficient for my projection because I did only 3 metres from back in my room.

http://www.pixmania.fr/ecran-de-projection/celexon-ecran-de-projection-celexon-manuel-pro-180-x-135-cm/07727687-a.html#description

--------------------
Tony

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 10, 2015 09:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Antoine..Happy Viewing!! [Smile]

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2015 12:10 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the one you chose Antoine! Looks excellent.

I am wondering if making one or buying a custom one for my wall would also be good. I need a solution as well.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/60-PRO-QUALITY-1080P-PROJECTOR-PROJECTION-SCREEN-BARE-MATERIAL-MADE-IN-USA-/281742103208?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41992352a8

Looks lke this guy will make any size requested.
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2015 12:43 PM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot for all your answers. You are great.

Best regards

--------------------
Tony

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2015 12:43 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See that the cheating part of TV screens creeping in to films. Why diagonal measurements? I want to know how wide it really is.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 10, 2015 01:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Since buying my first screen in the video projection era, it's always been this way unfortunately David.

You have to get back into trigonometry before you get to know the width of the screen! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2015 12:27 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with the comments of both Graham and Andrew. Quoting the size diagonally is a hang over from size of TV screens and as do the height to width ratios. I find this confusing to those of us used to the ratios used in the cinema, particularly the many variations of "wide screen" formats used by different companies. You can see what I mean when looking at the ratios given on sell through video cassettes and DVDs. My home cinema screen is painted on the back wall using "Dulux" brilliant white matt emulsion, applied with a roller. I did make a 6ft wide lenticulated silver screen whhich I still have but do not use. I made this so that I could show films in 3d using a poloroid attachment that was put in front of the projector lens.
I forget the name of it now but other "old stagers" like me will remember it. It used to be advertised in A.C.W. with a couple of pairs of poloroid glasses. It only worked with silver screens and a lot of light was lost through the projection attachment and the glasses!! Silver screens are directional as are beaded ones so any audience sitting to one side of the screen would see a dimmer picture than those sitting directly in front of it.Ken Finch.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 11, 2015 01:07 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I already mentionned it, the size of the new tv and computer screens are now expressed in inches in Belgium, which is completely stupid as we use the metric system. Some years ago we had to get use to a new money (euro) and the watts are now replaced by the lumens. Some décisions makes must find funny to confuse people.

--------------------
Dominique

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2015 02:09 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Further to my earlier reply today on this topic, I have just remembered the name of the 3D kit I mentioned. It was called a "Spacial" 3D attachment and was sold in 2 versions . One for slide projectors and one for cine projectors. Put the lens on the projector one way up and the image appeared to be in front of the screen, the other way up the image appeared to be behind the screen masking. Like looking through a window. I get "senior moments" these days. To quote Sir Alec Guinesses auto biography, "My name escapes me"!! I think I should also mention that the masking on my cinema screen is adjustable using 12 volt windscreen wiper motors, solenoids and press to make and break switches as are the 2 sets of screen curtains. Ken Finch. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC