8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » So new to this I haven't been born - simple question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So new to this I haven't been born - simple question
Marcy Matties
Junior

- posted August 22, 2015 03:38 PM      Profile for Marcy Matties   Email Marcy Matties   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Came across a collection of Super 8 from my younger years. Located a projector that looks brand new but, of course, no manual. It's a Sears Soundstage 9259.

First off I would LOVE to find a manual if anyone could direct me to one.

Secondly need some basic help... It auto threads so I stumbled my way through that. My problem is that I can't tell when the movie is about over so it comes all the way off the reel and threads through to the pick up reel and I don't know how to get it back to it's original reel without doing it by hand.

I know this is an "eye-roller" question for this forum, but I've never touched a projector before that I can remember, so I want to ask "the experts" so I don't screw up any of the film I have.

Thanks for any help!

--------------------
mmatt

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 22, 2015 03:42 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See if this helps. Not the same projector, but check it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsHJ_tFpcwQ

Marcy Matties
Junior

- posted August 22, 2015 04:05 PM      Profile for Marcy Matties   Email Marcy Matties   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it looks like you bypass the threading section and just go straight from the back reel to the front reel by way of the rewind choice. Is that correct?

--------------------
mmatt

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 22, 2015 04:07 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marcy...Welcome to the forum. The Sears 9259 is the same projector as the Chinon 6100. Here is a YouTube video with a demo of the projector and the rewind function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y54ZOrHqG-Q

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 22, 2015 04:12 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, rewind is outside the gates, back to front real then rewind. Good luck. Great that Janice found the video for your projector. Did not know it was the same as a Chinon 6100

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 04:14 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marcy,
This sounds like me when i first came to this site. Our family had an old sears Bell and Howell projector and I wanted to watch the old home movies. Problem is the bulbs only have so much life, so even if you can get your unit to work, I would be anticipating a new bulb very soon, and they can go for $75+ each the old ones.

After you run the film through and it is on the take-up reel, you need to put the film across the top and onto the first reel, bypassing the machine totally, and then reverse to rewind the film. It doesn't rewind going back through the machine! I had forgotten this as well as it had been YEARS....

I got my old machine working, but then upgraded to a better projector(in my case an Elmo St180) because i wanted to play some sound movies i had discovered as well....plus the bulbs are way cheaper and last longer....
btw- these old machines can be retrofitted with a newer bulb system that lasts longer...or you can do it yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFK4-ztroiM
Have fun!
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Marcy Matties
Junior

- posted August 22, 2015 04:19 PM      Profile for Marcy Matties   Email Marcy Matties   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is awesome. The links, the help, the forum !! So grateful for people who love to share and help others.

Now to search for a manual for the Chinon 6100. Any leads to that will ALSO be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
mmatt

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 22, 2015 04:28 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a PDF version manual for the Chinon 6100 here:
http://www.projectormovies.com/proj_manuals/manuals_books_2.htm

or a hard copy bounded reprint version here:
http://www.oldtimercameras.com/manuals/camera-manual-Chinon-6100-2579.asp

--------------------
Janice

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 22, 2015 04:35 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mathew, which bulbs do you mean? I think those for the Chinon is about 10 euro or so for short life lamp and 15 for long life

Or is this not the same bulb?

http://winkel.van-eck.net/SF-0262--lampen.html?_globalsearch=chinon%207000

On super8data.com, it states different bulbs for US and Europe, so I am not sure

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 22, 2015 05:50 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sears 9259 takes a DNE bulb. You can pick these up for under $15. Although several Bell & Howell projectors had the Sears branding...this model was made by Chinon.

--------------------
Janice

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2015 06:06 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Vidar!
Thank goodness this was a Chinon make! Thanx Janice!
Otherwise, these are the ones i would have meant.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulb-for-SEARS-SOUNDSTAGE-II-9258-SOUNDSTAGE-II-9259-SUPER-8-9217-SUPER-8-9218-/131329700269

Marcy, if your bulbs are indeed like the link vidar has above, be very thankful! [Smile]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Marcy Matties
Junior

- posted August 22, 2015 07:51 PM      Profile for Marcy Matties   Email Marcy Matties   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will definitely remember these answers about bulbs for when I might need one I tell you this machine looks like it's never been used before.

But now I have a problem. I watched about 15 short (50') movies. Then I put one on that was a little longer and it wouldn't thread. I've tried multiple times and tried other reels including ones that I have already watched. And it jus won't thread. It sounds the same (I think) and looks like it's moving the same but it's not catching the film to thread it. As far as I know I didn't change anything. Any suggestions?

--------------------
mmatt

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2015 08:00 AM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marcy, Are you sure the film that won't thread is super 8? If the sproket holes are larger, you have a standard 8mm film. Put it next to one of the films that worked and see if the sproket holes are different. Welcome to the forum!

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Marcy Matties
Junior

- posted August 23, 2015 08:12 AM      Profile for Marcy Matties   Email Marcy Matties   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I compared their sizes. And I even tried one that I had previously watched and it wouldn't thread either.

--------------------
mmatt

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 23, 2015 08:16 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could some film piece be stuck in there? Can you see anything where the sprocket gear takes hold of the film? Do you hear any noise when the film touches the gear? Is the film cut properly (Elmo are very picky on the curve the cutters for Elmo make). I think the Chinon isn't that picky, but if you cut the end a little and try again, might help

Marcy Matties
Junior

- posted August 23, 2015 09:32 AM      Profile for Marcy Matties   Email Marcy Matties   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really see anything since it's all enclosed. A few times today when I first turned it to Thread it made a little clunking sound - just a little - then sounded "normal". Now it's just sounding normal when I turn it on. I have no idea how to remove that part of the case to look inside and see anything. There is a small black knob above and to the left of the Focus button and I don't know what that knob does. I have tried threading with that knob turned all the way clockwise, and then turned it counter clockwise thinking maybe that might have some effect but it didn't. When I first started using the machine yesterday there were a couple of times where it didn't seem to catch correctly but when I pulled the film back and tried again it did work. And after that it worked OK on all of the rest. Maybe it's me :=)

--------------------
mmatt

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 23, 2015 09:45 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The knob you turn for forward/backward must be in position with no light, if I remember correctly. If you thread with light on, that could be the problem

The other knob must be the framing knob I assume

Marcy Matties
Junior

- posted August 23, 2015 10:03 AM      Profile for Marcy Matties   Email Marcy Matties   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The light doesn't come on until after you thread and turn it to the light position. There is a Thread position to thread, and a Rewind position to rewind and a Stop position where nothing happens. And the knob I was referring to is the Frame knob (saw it on a picture or an actual Chinon 6100 - this is a Sears 9259).

I've been searching to try to figure out how to remove the case so I can see inside and see if there is any piece of film stuck or something. But haven't found any instructions for removing the case. Still looking.

--------------------
mmatt

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 23, 2015 10:12 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my Chinon ... just pull

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 23, 2015 10:13 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my Chinon ... just pull

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 23, 2015 11:15 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The side cover also covers the operating controls such as the volume etc. These show through a cut-out which becomes obvious when the cover is removed.

The cover is probably secured with four pins which are more or less in its corners. Gently hold the cover and try and lever it off slowly, it may come apart at one pin from its hole, followed by the others. Be careful, do not force.

Re-fixing is by lining up the pins in the securing holes and gently pushing all round until the pins clip into place.

http://super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_chinon/chinon_6100.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Marcy Matties
Junior

- posted August 23, 2015 01:45 PM      Profile for Marcy Matties   Email Marcy Matties   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Just pulled and that cover did come off. Never would have thought it was that easy. And once inside there was a little piece of film in the way. Removed it and I'm good to go again - down memory lane :-)

Thanks again!

--------------------
mmatt

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC