8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film won't advance properly

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film won't advance properly
Paul Luft
Junior

- posted December 22, 2015 12:58 PM      Profile for Paul Luft   Email Paul Luft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, After I thread my 8mm film, it's not advancing properly. It goes through the whole projector and comes out the back, but the pull-through seems very weak and the film goes through very slowly or not at all. It only advances when I press down on that starter/threader lever at the top.

With the lamp off, the film advances, albeit slowly, when I hold down that threader thing lever. When I turn the lamp on, the lever thing clicks up and the film stops advancing. There's no clicking sound at all like there usually is when the film is advancing.

I last used my Sankyo dualux 1000 about 6 mths ago and it worked fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks,

PL

|  IP: Logged

Ty Reynolds
Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2015 01:47 PM      Profile for Ty Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be the belt has stretched to the point that it is no longer tight enough to run the gears properly?

Paul Luft
Junior

- posted December 31, 2015 01:48 PM      Profile for Paul Luft   Email Paul Luft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put a new belt on a couple of years ago and the projector was fine six months ago. Would it stretch out by itself in six months?

Thanks,

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 11, 2016 04:02 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul... if the film is not threading properly it might be the claw is out of postion or damaged and not inserting properly into the film sockets. Since the film is just being pulled through most likely the claw is not protruding far enough to pull down the film or it may be broken. You will need to examine the claw to see if there is an issue.

Remove the back cover so you can rotate the shutter by hand and examine the claw action.

If you find that you need to adjust the claw...here is a thread that might help.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009946

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 11, 2016 05:00 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, in order to get anywhere you must have proper insertion. Be sure to inspect the sprocket. And remember, always practice safe film watching. Always use protection! [Big Grin]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC