8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Help: Elmo GS800 Speed (Problem Solved)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help: Elmo GS800 Speed (Problem Solved)
Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2016 07:40 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again I need help with a projector. I have a Elmo GS-800 and I am having issues with the play speed. It only plays at the 18fps and if I flip the switch to 24fps it doesn't change the speed at all and just keeps playing at 18fps. As a side note, the speed does speed up and slow down with the speed adjustment knob.
I thought maybe it was just the contacts in the switch were corroded. I have flipped it back and forth a couple hundred times but that didn't change anything.
Would it "default" to 18fps if it wasn't making contact when I flip the switch to 24fps? Are there some other trouble areas I should look at?

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 02, 2016 07:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again Zech.

Firstly, I don't profess to know anything about your machine as I dislike Elmo machines with a passion due to the amount of film I have had spoiled by this brand of projector over the years.

What I can say though is, if this electronically driven machine is fully functioning with relationship to speed using the variable speed control potentiometer knob, it really can only be something or nothing as to why the fixed speed electrical control switch is not working as it should.

Have you traced the circuit back to see where the two overlap?

Have you tried resoldering or testing the suspect switch with a multi meter?

Have you considered the soldering from the switch to the board may have a dry joint perhaps?

Do some investigating on the above Zech and let's see what this tells us.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 02, 2016 07:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Zech,

I think it is still something to do with the switch. I would expect if the switch and it's connections were OK it would change from 18FPS to something else: dead stop, too fast, too slow...anything else except the exact same speed.

For starters I would open 'er up and hang an ohmeter on the switch (power off...).

-are you up for that?

If there are two wires to the switch you want to see close to zero ohms one way and a lot more the other. Three wires you want to see the same thing between the center terminal and the each of outer two.

Good thing you're an engineer, Andy!

-bedside manner like yours would kill someone if you were a doctor!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 02, 2016 08:29 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Steve.

I just speak as I find Steve, lots of people seemingly have great love and success with these machines.

I've just been very very unlucky on five separate occasions which has obviously soured my own taste buds.

I can't begin to comment per se on Zech's projector because it is obvious I would never be an expert on this projector.

Nevertheless, it's nice to assist wherever and whenever we can as you do yourself Steve, almost always, to your credit.

Even a doctor will have to say it like it is at times Steve.

--------------------

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2016 03:42 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve & Andrew!!! I took it apart today and found the problem [Smile] It was a solder joint. It wasn't at the switch itself. It was at the 4 wire plug towards the bottom of the vertical circuit board.I now vaguely remember seeing the plug wasn't pushed in all the way so I had snugged it in. Well it appeared it pushed one of the pins in.
Thanks you for your input on the situation. Glad to have it going as long as I don't get scratches on my films [Big Grin]

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 06, 2016 10:39 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zach, if that is the case, how the soldier became like that? Has the previous owner modified it, and for what purpose?

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 06, 2016 10:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Solder...not "Soldier" (autocorrect? [Big Grin] )

Old Soldiers fade away, but old solder sometimes turns gray and flakey!

-usually this happens because the soldering was not originally done at hot enough temperatures. It could have resulted from some kind of repair, or maybe at the factory when the board was first fabricated.

(Soldering is kind of an art.)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 06, 2016 11:42 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad it was an easy one for you to solve this time around Zech.
Just keep those rollers and guides free wheeling and spotless my friend and check for wear regularly if it's your primary machine! [Wink]

Wouldn't want you doing a Laksmi on us.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC