8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 2000h belt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 2000h belt
James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2016 12:14 PM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Ive just been doing some work, end of reel one belt breaks, no big deal so I thought, after all I`ve changed it many times before.

Well it was a bit of a pig to change first I could`nt find my long nose pliers, which I find it impossible to change without.
Has anybody noticed what a short life time these belts have, If I remember correctly they used to go on & on.

Oh! I finished the job on my spare 2000h.

Kind Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2016 01:07 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't run my Sankyo much so I have not had a belt breakage problem with it. Where do you get your replacement belts from?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 05, 2016 01:33 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James...are you removing the lamp and the screws to detach the shield plate as shown in this picture to change the belt?

-

... and then following the process in this video to take off the old belt and put on the new belt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog95Djbtpc&list=UUzhVuBJou11ziWdERi0ZGuQ&index=15

You should not need pliers. Perhaps the pliers are cutting into the belt material and weakening it. The belts on my Sankyos have only been replaced once and seem to last for years.

[ October 17, 2017, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2016 04:38 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry,

I get my belts from ebay UK, here`s the link
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/e-s-photographics?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
hope this of use,

Hi Janice,
That`s exactly the same way as I do it apart from pulling the belt through the light housing with the long nose pliers
(very gently) to slip onto wheel, I can`t get my fingers in their as I can on the 1000 model.

All the best, James.

[ February 06, 2016, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: James Wilson ]

--------------------
James Wilson

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2016 11:51 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi James:
I was just wondering if the quality of the belts was an issue. Seems as though your source should be reputable.

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2016 12:10 PM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry,

It`s me, I think seeing as the 2000h is on just about every day for six hours or so, they probably do very well.
Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Ty Reynolds
Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2016 01:21 PM      Profile for Ty Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James - I use a hook made from coat hanger wire to pull the belt through the opening and over the pulley.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 06, 2016 02:54 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you damaged the belt with the needle nose pliers? or the path where the belt runs? Just a thought [Confused]

Rich Malmsten
Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2017 09:43 PM      Profile for Rich Malmsten   Email Rich Malmsten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to say that this thread was exactly what I needed to get my Sankyo 2000H back up and running. A couple of weeks ago I was watching some of my grandfather's 8mm home movies that he shot in the 1940s, and the take-up reel stalled while I was playing a 400-ft reel. I took off the back cover to find that the main drive belt seemed stretched.

The thread suggested where to buy a replacement belt (E.S. Photographics in the U.K.). I ordered one and it came in about two weeks with no problems.

Janice's detailed instructions on removing the lamp plate made replacing the belt a snap. The whole operation took less than 10 minutes from start to finish. It was almost too easy! The only detail I would add is that the two screws for the lamp plate are not interchangeable; they're different sizes, so be sure to put the smaller one in the lower hole. Figuring out that minor detail took me longer than putting on the belt itself.

So now the Sankyo is as good as new and ready to show more old home movies.

BTW - I'm new to this forum. I've been collecting film, both Super-8 and 16mm, for about 15 years, but registered just last week.

Best wishes!
Rich

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 08, 2017 11:54 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Rich and thank you for adding more detail to this thread.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC