8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Standard 8 projection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Standard 8 projection
Neil Turner
Junior

- posted February 28, 2016 08:28 PM      Profile for Neil Turner   Email Neil Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, i need of some basic help regarding standard 8 cine film projection...
I recently came across a standard 8 camera with films so i had a bash at filming with it and processing the film at home with cafenol. It worked but now i have an issue with projection. I filmed with double 8 film so it is 16mm in width, do i need to cut the film in half and stick the two parts together in order to use the film on a projector? (and if so how would be best to do it?) I have a super 8 projector (eumig 607d) that has a standard setting on it but im not sure how this would work because of the different sprocket holes.
Basically i have no idea what i'm doing when it comes to projection of standard 8 so if anyone could point me in the right direction and give me abit of general knowledge on the subject along the way it would be much appreciated as google has failed me! Thanks in advance,
Neil

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 28, 2016 11:40 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum Neil...
I have no experience with film processing...However, the good news is that the Eumig 607D is a dual 8 projector. It will run both Super 8 and Std. 8mm...you just need to move the selector switch the proper format. The more critcal issue I see is ... How are you going to cut the film in half? I'm sure that professional processing houses had a machine to make an exact cut to split the film. If the film isn't cut perfectly it won't run smoothly through the gate in the projector.

Hopefully someone else can assist you with ways to cut the film.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 29, 2016 03:12 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Neil

Welcome to the forum!

You need to find someone or someplace that has a film splitter. I believe a couple of forum members were experimenting with units they had but not sure of success. Try searching "film splitting" and see if any posts come up. If not then try posting a new topic and someone will respond.

Here is a link to one on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Generic-Gray-16-8mm-Film-Splitter-/15199 5544406?hash=item2363a3f356:g:uZoAAOSwYHxWLuf~

-

Good luck!

PatD

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 29, 2016 04:01 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Neil and welcome to you. I have a spare 8mm film splitter I can let go if it helps you with your film making.

Carry on filming! [Smile]

Neil Turner
Junior

- posted February 29, 2016 07:47 PM      Profile for Neil Turner   Email Neil Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much for the prompt replies, i really appreciate the info. Looks like im going to have to come up with a way of splitting the film on the cheap as i cant afford a splitting machine at the mo. I'll be back on the forum again soon with more questions no doubt!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2016 02:02 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lomo processing tank came with a hand held splitting device included, it is about the diameter of a 35mm film can and half the height.
One of those wouldn't be expensive. That might be what Lee has.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 01, 2016 03:10 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Neil. I would advise, for a home use a small accessory such as this one (maybe what Lee has ?)
 -
 -
If I'm not mistaking, it's a Quartz make.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2016 03:23 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the one I was thinking of Dominique.

Neil Turner
Junior

- posted March 01, 2016 04:00 PM      Profile for Neil Turner   Email Neil Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah very good, thanks for the info. This looks like a handy tool. If this is the kind of thing you are referring to Lee i may very well be interested, Thanks,
Neil

John Richard Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2016 04:51 PM      Profile for John Richard Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of those, and it works a treat...............private message me and we can sort something out. Im quite willing to lend it you as long as you return it to me.........im in Wigan so not to far from you post wise.

Sandy McLennan
Junior

- posted August 08, 2016 10:48 PM      Profile for Sandy McLennan   Email Sandy McLennan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am seeking a splitter/slitter for regular/standard 8mm. Please let me know if you have one to give/sell. Thanks

--------------------
Sandy McLennan

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 04:43 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lomo splitters show up on eBay frequently. They are easy to use, just push the film through to get it started then pull it the rest of the way.

LOMO Film Splitting Trimmer

John Richard Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2016 05:39 PM      Profile for John Richard Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KMZ-2x8-Film-Splitting-Trimmer-USSR-Made-/222187547236?hash=item33bb68ea64:g:2uMAAOSwdqRXiMj~

Link should work.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC