8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Collecting database

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Collecting database
Michael Kolstee
Junior

- posted April 29, 2016 11:05 AM      Profile for Michael Kolstee   Email Michael Kolstee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I've been collecting super 8 films for a decade or so now and kept a catalog of my films on an MS works database I put together years ago. Unfortunately with the upgrade to Windows 10 it became unusable gibberish. I've tried the recommended fixes to recover it but no luck. So it looks like I'll have to reenter the data into a new database. So the question I have is does anyone have a recommended collector database program to use? Thanks in advance, Mike K

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 29, 2016 01:10 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael...I've used this software for about 7 years. I keep all my DVD's...Downloads...and Films in this database. It has several nice printing options including just output to a Excel or CSV file. Well worth the money.

ALLMYMOVIES
http://www.bolidesoft.com/allmymovies.html

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Michael Kolstee
Junior

- posted May 01, 2016 02:46 PM      Profile for Michael Kolstee   Email Michael Kolstee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice, I'll download the preview and see if it works for me. I don't even want to think about cataloging my dvd/blueray discs I own, Mike K

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 01, 2016 03:47 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

There was no way to convert the file with the new Windows 10?

Janice

That's A great program. Thanks for the link.

PatD

Michael Kolstee
Junior

- posted May 01, 2016 06:18 PM      Profile for Michael Kolstee   Email Michael Kolstee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pasquale, none that I've tried so far will work. I believe MS works has been not been supported in almost 10 years and the computer it was on is now dead. I was able to transfer the file to my new computer via an external hard drive. I've purchased and installed a copy of ms works on disc but no joy. That and a few other suggestions found online and from friends in it, plus the opinion of others that there is not much hope and I'm now at the point of needing to recreate it - these films seem to multiply on there own. So I'm looking for a program to rebuild my catalog,

Mike K

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2016 05:07 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would check the export file types in the old programme and the input file types in the new one, there might be one that will not corrupt the data/formatting. Something like a comma separated file, if available might work. A long shot but worth trying.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 02, 2016 08:26 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Collectorz series. But it is not free. Trial version is free
www.collectorz.com

Keld Andersen
Junior

- posted May 02, 2016 10:29 AM      Profile for Keld Andersen   Email Keld Andersen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keeping all my collection i clz Movie Collector.

Easy to access everywhere online or offline on phone and tablet.

My collection so far ... [Smile] :
https://cloud.collectorz.com/57641/movies?viewCollection=in-collection

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2016 11:28 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keld, are you selling King Of Comedy?

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael if your file was created on a Microsoft file try OpenOffice.org and see if that will open it.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Michael Kolstee
Junior

- posted May 02, 2016 08:41 PM      Profile for Michael Kolstee   Email Michael Kolstee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, tried open office already but you inspired me to look again and I found LibreOffice and that opened it, hurray. However I still think I need to export it to something else. I will look at what's been suggested and go from there,

Mike K

Barbara Strohl
Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2016 05:01 PM      Profile for Barbara Strohl   Email Barbara Strohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are ways to export the data and import it into a new system. That way you aren't re-entering everything.

Also, some of us can still fire-up MSWorks.
I'm sorry I missed seeing your post before.

Somethiing to consider when choosing a new database or spreadsheet, do you just want it on one PC or if you want to access it from your phone as well or share it with others.

--------------------
Barb

I'm an amateur noob. Please be gentle.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC