8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Problem with Elmo SC-30 Lamp

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problem with Elmo SC-30 Lamp
Robert Saraceno
Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2016 10:00 AM      Profile for Robert Saraceno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever had a problem with their projector blowing bulbs?
I just purchased an an Elmo SC-30, when it arrived the bulb was burned out, I put a new EFR bulb in and it immediately blew it as soon as I hit forward. I got this bulb off Ebay so I don't know how old it is, but I just wanted to know if anyone has seen this before - any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 13, 2016 10:09 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had that problem with a 100 volts projector I plugged on the 220 volts net but as you live in the US, that cannot be the same problem as you use 110 volts there.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 13, 2016 10:17 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
as soon as I hit forward
I assume you mean the "lamp on" position. It is possible that the new lamp was faulty.
Have you a test meter that can check for faulty connections such as anything going to earth (ground) that should not be, also you could see if 15 volts is at the lamp-holder.

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2016 11:14 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could also check that no more than 12v is going to the lamp, if so it may be an electrical fault, perhaps a transistor or something similar, then you'd have to get it looked at.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 13, 2016 11:19 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
15vac as Maurice says Barry, according to this;

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Elmo_HiVision_SC-30_Projector

And yes, please do check first that the machine is set to run safely on a 110v 60hz supply.

Lamp circuits, tend to be very simple in their make up. No transistors etc in circuit typically.

You have a lamp holder, a switch, a fuse and a transformer typically, and besides some cable and connections, not a great deal else.

You may have a faulty lamp connector that is causing a short circuit or maybe a faulty switch or power supply to the lamp.
With only this to go off, who knows for certain?

Either way, it shouldn't be difficult to diagnose with a multi meter given the very few components making up this circuit here.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Robert Saraceno
Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2016 02:18 PM      Profile for Robert Saraceno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I left out some info earlier - the projector is from Japan, and runs at AC 100v 50 or 60 hz only, no internatonal voltage. I've run other Elmo projectors set at 100v on 110v power and not had the same problem. The motor, amp, and everything else works fine, I ran film through it already. I have to get a new volt meter, I seem to have misplaced my old one.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC