8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Going Dark: The Final Days of Film Projection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Going Dark: The Final Days of Film Projection
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 13, 2016 01:51 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this video has been posted before...but for me it echoes the sentiments of what I think about film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScrDPtL84Zs

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2016 01:32 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that link Janice.
I am one of the thousands of ex-Cinema Projectionist
who was made redundant due to the coming of the Digi-Monster.
So it was get lost after 40+ years in the industry without so much as a thank you !

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 22, 2016 02:41 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice I have just finished watching it. They also have a Facebook page called "Going Dark, The Final Days of Film Projection" I came across it a while ago now, its still worth a look.

After 12 years of full time projection work I was quite glad to move on and do something else. Although these days I don't go to the cinema like I used to, film projection was certainly good while it lasted and to a certain extent I still miss it [Frown] ..but that's life.

One thing I was pleased with, was to make the effort to record those times both on video and film. One day I might bore folks with 50 minutes of it one day [Smile] I gave DVD copies of it to some of the young members of staff that were in it, something for them to look back in later years [Smile]
A still taken from the video
 -
I was glad we finished up with screening some David Lean films on the big screen on the months before closing, we spent a lot of time getting those films ready for projection with intermission etc...but it was worth it.
 -

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2016 09:58 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for sharing the video, Janice. This “video about film” made me reflect on my own career in terms of the advance of technology. Thirty-five years ago when I began my career in broadcasting and communications, I was working with reel-to-reel audio tape (editing with a wax pencil and a razor blade), running audio boards, working with film/telecines, and shooting with and schlepping a broadcast camera (with a separate tape deck and battery that felt like both weighed 100 pounds each!). While I wouldn’t trade any of that experience for the world, I don’t immerse myself in longing for a return to those days of yore. And who among us would? – it’s by the very nature of progress that Janice was able to post a link to a video that we were all able to easily access and enjoy.

I, too, had to adjust my career in the transition from analog to digital, and I am ever so glad that I did. I’ve had opportunities presented to me in my career that I never would have if I had planted myself in the nostalgia for the past simply for the sake of a format. I’ve found that expanding one’s horizons, while being fully appreciative of the past, yields so much more both personally and professionally. Pining for something that was but will never be again seems to me to be a fruitless way to spend one’s precious but short time on this earth.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2016 11:46 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Janice. I'm going to share this with family and friends. I hope it gives them some idea of why I love film so much. As the man says, it's hard to explain to someone who has never worked with movie film.

Derek Dorking
Junior

- posted September 29, 2016 10:05 AM      Profile for Derek Dorking   Email Derek Dorking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great link Janice, very moving and touched a chord. I'm another Projectionist- made redundant after 35 years, no future as I had a severe heart attack whilst looking for work up and around the country. The big companies are still there, with their "Digital" projectors with failed shows going off each day. Still miss the good old days of '78.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2016 02:13 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, You've stirred my interest. A dvd? You can bore me with it anytime you like. Your experience is priceless and I for one would love to see it.

--------------------
Dave

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2016 03:35 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Dave. I would watch it in a heartbeat! Your post interest me greatly, and i can just imagine what the DVD would be like.
Hey, could you put it on super 8 somehow first ha ha, boy, that would be great to watch actually projected [Smile]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2016 08:17 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of the various "ode to film" videos that I've seen, this one is my favorite.

You might find it of interest that it was shot at the former Dickinson 10 Theatres, 1901 NW Expressway, Oklahoma City, OK. Built in 1988, originally it was a General Cinema property (Penn Square Mall 8). Today it's renovated and open, now AMC Penn Square 10, and is showing movies digitally. (GCC went bankrupt, of course, then Dickinson got it. Then THEY sold this and many other screens due to bankruptcy proceedings.)
See the associated page at Cinematreasures.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 29, 2016 10:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave and Mathew

I was looking at putting an edited version up on Vimeo later on. Its finding the time at the moment to sort it out, and try to edit it down on the computer "tidy thing up". What we did include in the video, were threading the projectors/platters, changing the xenon lamp, making up, and splicing films, plus the girls downstairs showing how popcorn was made, rolling ice cream and so on. I tried to cover everything and really the staff were very helpful over those two years of recording this on video.

I guess we took film for granted over those years, until it very quickly disappeared as we always had so much of it come through the place...now its all gone [Frown]

Some screen shots of a xenon lamp change...
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2016 07:04 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, fond memories to be sure. Hope you get a nice video up at some point, and PLEASE let us know!

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2016 07:06 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great little Documentary. I had tears in the eyes at the end...and i wasn't even a projectionist.. [Smile] good stuff!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 06, 2016 03:54 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will definitely let you know Bill [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC