8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Question for Edwin re: Beaulieu 16x9 Gate (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question for Edwin re: Beaulieu 16x9 Gate
Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2016 03:06 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea if you are projecting already 'hard matted' prints but the additional appature would need to be placed close in proximity to the plane of focus or you'll just get a blurry top n bottom to the projected image.

Also unless you are 100% sure of the printing method of your film you could get in a right mess... e.g. adding a 16:9 Matt to an original non 'shoot and protected' academy ratio print would crop important image information. Same goes for full frame 'centre cutout' printing of 'widescreen' matted sources (1.66:1 to 1.85:1) where the edges are already cropped off in the optical printing... additional matting would be ludicrous!

So a great idea provided it's mounted close to the plane of focus and you know the printing and composition path of your intended material for projection.

Unless I'm mistaken I'm sure the 708EL stereo machine I once owned already had variable top/bottom matting built in!?

Best,
Rick

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 09, 2016 03:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about that Ricky??? [Confused]

Can't say I've seen variable built in top and bottom matting on any of these??????

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2016 05:50 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky you put "Also unless you are 100% sure of the printing method of your film you could get in a right mess... e.g. adding a 16:9 Matt to an original non 'shoot and protected' academy ratio print would crop important image information. Same goes for full frame 'centre cutout' printing of 'widescreen' matted sources (1.66:1 to 1.85:1) where the edges are already cropped off in the optical printing... additional matting would be ludicrous!"

You didn't see the first Carlton DVD of "Carry on Camping" then. They did that to get "original screen ratio" despite the picture content being nothing like it - rightfully derided by fans on the DVD forum.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2016 05:25 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

That doesn't surprise me at all!

In all my years at ITV as a Senior Telecine Colourist the understanding of Theatrical Aspect Ratios by anyone non technical and client facing was appalling... Had that title come my way there would have been no issues, but sorry to say some channels occassionally used inferior external facilities for financial reasons. You get what you pay for essentially [Wink]

Best,
Rick

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2016 09:31 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The really funny thing was that when they released a Carry on partwork with DVDs that film was with the first issue - correct picture content and ration for £1.99!!! I bought that quickly, but kept the original for the documentary on it>

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC