8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Maintenance information for B&H 456a

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maintenance information for B&H 456a
Sanford Kozlen
Junior

- posted September 09, 2016 05:27 PM      Profile for Sanford Kozlen   Email Sanford Kozlen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a B&H 456A dual 8 projector that does not work on forward. I have seen the belt replacement video, but need to go further to take apart take up system. Are there manuals or other videos somewhere? Help!

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 09, 2016 08:30 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sanford welcome to the forum...Here is the Service Manual for that model. Perhaps it will help.

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/manuals/BH456S.pdf

Also if you can describe the problem in more detail perhaps someone here can be of assistance.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Sanford Kozlen
Junior

- posted September 11, 2016 11:41 PM      Profile for Sanford Kozlen   Email Sanford Kozlen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. This will help. This projector had been on the shelf for a long time and some of the plastic in the wiring had melted and there was green goop on the plug and inside the projector. Rewired and all was great. But take up reel did not work. Lots of cleaning and found last gear in the take up arm had come off set. Fixed that did lots of cleaning and used lots of silicon lube and all seems to work but without film. When I inserted film friction wheel slipped. I ordered a new belt and hope that will fix it. If not I will have to look at the friction wheel for the forward setting. This has been a real learning experience and I appreciate the forum and your response. Wish the manual had more pictures, but everything helps. Next question is there a source for parts for these old projectors beyond belts on e-bay? Though if the belt does not fix it I may be able to switch the forward and reverse friction wheels. What fun keeps an old guys mind in use. Thank you for your help. :-)

David Walcher
Junior

- posted February 14, 2017 02:43 PM      Profile for David Walcher   Author's Homepage   Email David Walcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a Bell and Howell projector, model 456A which is just Super 8, not dual. I am hopeful that this manual will help me fix my machine. Thanks for the help.

--------------------
David Walcher

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2017 06:36 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a 456A, I scanned that manual and gave it to the forum to upload. I originally purchased the manual on eBay to get my 456A running. I ended up selling the projector with the manual. It seems like a well built projector and I did use it for a while but after eating a few films I got frustrated and sold it. I ended up replacing it with a Bolex 18-5 (Regular 8mm) and a Bolex 18-5L (Super 8), two purchases I don't regret. With the 456A keep the film path very clean and lubricated it with 100% pure beeswax, that will help with the film eating problem. The Bell and Howell projectors are well built machines but the biggest problem is the cost for replacement bulbs. The tend to cost more than the projectors.

Your best bet for spare parts is to purchase another 456A to rob for parts and possibly a spare bulb.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 14, 2017 06:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt, you too Bryan, purchased a replacement one from our very own David c/w take up spool and feature film for £120 plus P&P, and simply threw your old one away in a bin. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC